1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29 Oct '09 08:03
    Originally posted by Palynka
    You forgot the part where you accuse atheism of being a faith-based religion. Then the circle would be complete.
    it is a faith based religion
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29 Oct '09 08:04
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    Seriously folks, go read the Federalist Papers. The Founders were conscious of religious strife in Europe. It infuriates me that some American conservatives misread the constitution when they argue that it favors a particular religion. They are having brain agonies now because not only is their cherished refuge of racism dissolving but they also suspect ...[text shortened]... arguing about pinheads and then it is a crap-shoot whether we make it. You're welcome, kids!)
    wasn't in the treaty of trianon that the US is explicitly declared as NOT a christian state?
  3. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    29 Oct '09 12:47
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    Just like not collecting stamps is a hobby.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    29 Oct '09 12:47
    😵
  5. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    29 Oct '09 12:48
    wasn't in the treaty of trianon that the US is explicitly declared as NOT a christian state?
    You're thinking of the treaty of Tripoli

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Tripoli
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    29 Oct '09 12:49
    The Treaty of Tripoli, article 11:

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 07:50
    Originally posted by rwingett
    The Treaty of Tripoli, article 11:

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it i ...[text shortened]... s, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.
    thnx for the correction, i remembered the treaty text but not the tri-word. (and was too lazy and too at work to google it)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree