1. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '13 17:36
    In the Communication with god thread the question arose as to which commandments people think still apply and must be followed to be a good Christian and make into heave (or whatever).

To avoid clogging up that thread too much I have been asked to move that discussion to a new thread.

This is that thread.

So (to Christians obviously) What commandments do you believe still apply to you today?
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 Jun '13 19:161 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    In the Communication with god thread the question arose as to which commandments people think still apply and must be followed to be a good Christian and make into heave (or whatever).

To avoid clogging up that thread too much I have been asked to move that discussion to a new thread.

This is that thread.

So (to Christians obviously) [b]What commandments do you believe still apply to you today?
    [/b]
    Are you limiting commandments to the classic 10, or does this include other Biblical commands, like "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live."

One source says, "...the commands that are contained within the Book of the Covenant [(Exodus 20:19 through 23:33)] are specific for the Israelites who received them."

http://theimperfectdisciples.com/index.php/2010/03/31/is-exodus-2218-a-command-for-christians-to-kill-witches/

I imagine that at least some Christians will make this differentiation. It is hardly imaginable that all such commands will be mentioned and their situational applicability describeda in this thread, but, Christians, does this general principle apply?
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Jun '13 19:46

This is that thread.

So (to Christians obviously) [b]What commandments do you believe still apply to you today?
    [/b]
    To love God with all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself...
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '13 20:37
    Originally posted by JS357
    Are you limiting commandments to the classic 10, or does this include other Biblical commands, like "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live."

One source says, "...the commands that are contained within the Book of the Covenant [(Exodus 20:19 through 23:33)] are specific for the Israelites who received them."

http://theimperfectdisciples.com/index.php/2010 ...[text shortened]... applicability describeda in this thread, but, Christians, does this general principle apply?
    I am not limiting anything.

I am asking the question.

To my knowledge there are over 600 commandments in the bible...

But it's not my religion, so I am asking those who are of that religion which ones they think still apply.
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '13 20:40
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    To love God with all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself...
    That's it?

Out of the entirety of the bible all you have to do is 'love god and your neighbour?'

Ok...

For clarity I assume that neighbour here isn't literal and means something like all
    mankind, and not just the people you live next to?
  6. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    27 Jun '13 21:211 edit
    That's it?

Out of the entirety of the bible all you have to do is 'love god and your neighbour?'

Ok...

For clarity I assume that neighbour here isn't literal and means something like all
    In the OP you asked What commandments do you believe still apply to you today?

I am assuming the 10 Commandments here, but believe others apply here as well.

In Exodus 20 we find...

Exodus 20
    Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

20 And God spake all these words, saying, 2 I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
    3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
    4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
    5 thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
    6 and shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
    7 Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
    8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
    9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
    10 but the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: 11 for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
    12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.
    13 Thou shalt not kill.
    14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.
    15 Thou shalt not steal.
    16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
    17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour’s.
    18 And all the people saw the thunderings, and the lightnings, and the noise of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking: and when the people saw it, they removed, and stood afar off.
    19 And they said unto Moses, Speak thou with us, and we will hear: but let not God speak with us, lest we die.
    20 And Moses said unto the people, Fear not: for God is come to prove you, and that his fear may be before your faces, that ye sin not.
    21 And the people stood afar off, and Moses drew near unto the thick darkness where God was.
    22 And the Lord said unto Moses, Thus thou shalt say unto the children of Israel, Ye have seen that I have talked with you from heaven.
    23 Ye shall not make with me gods of silver, neither shall ye make unto you gods of gold.
    24 An altar of earth thou shalt make unto me, and shalt sacrifice thereon thy burnt offerings, and thy peace offerings, thy sheep, and thine oxen: in all places where I record my name I will come unto thee, and I will bless thee.
    25 And if thou wilt make me an altar of stone, thou shalt not build it of hewn stone: for if thou lift up thy tool upon it, thou hast polluted it.
    26 Neither shalt thou go up by steps unto mine altar, that thy nakedness be not discovered thereon.

I will admit I copied and pasted this from www.biblegateway.com, but if I had to guess, in a book Bible this would be about (1) page.

In Matthew 22:33-40 we find...

Matthew 22:34-40
    Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

34 But when the Pharisees had heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they were gathered together. 35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, 36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Here the Pharisees were trying to trip up Jesus (kind of what happens here on RHP) and he answered above.

What he was saying out of all the commandments is ... they rest on these two and following these two all others will follow. As for who is your neighbor, I believe it to mean mankind as well as the guy next door. So basically, they all apply if you follow the two that Jesus mentions in Matthew and are kept in love.

I hope this answers your question.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    27 Jun '13 21:21
    That's it?

Ok...

Christ defined what a neighbor was in his story of the Good Samaritan.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    27 Jun '13 21:23

This is that thread.

[/b]
    There is in the writings of the Apostles comparison of what is called
    - Old Covenant
    - New Covenant
    [See Hebrews 8 and 2 Cor 3]
    In these chapters the difference between the two are explained. Basically the expiration of the Law of Moses came about by the death and resurrection of Christ. Along with Christ comes a new law .. this law is centered around Love. Love of God and Love of Others.

A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another. (John 13:34-35 KJV)

This comparison between old and new again is shown :

.. Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life? And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God. Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother. And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth. Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me. (Mark 10:17-21 KJV)

This is showing clearly that following the 10 commandments is not sufficient for eternal life. The new law or commandment of love must be followed. Love shows itself in many ways [See 1 Cor 13], and Christ particularly spelt out ways in which love demonstrated itself towards those less fortunate than ourselves .. the poor, hungry, maimed, sick, etc. Christ said that these were pre-requisites for eternal life. Do these and you will get eternal life, Dont do it and you will not get eternal life.

So critical is this basic requirement that Christ repeated it many many times and in many ways:
    - The Good Samaritan
    - The Rich Man and Lazarus
    - Judgment Day - Matt 25

Likewise the Apostles

Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
    (Romans 13:8-10 KJV)

For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    (Galatians 5:14 KJV)

If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well: (James 2:8 KJV)

There are dozens more references of a similar nature.

The other commandments are concerned with conduct which lead to righteousness and godliness in Christ.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Jun '13 02:59

This is that thread.

[/b]
    All of them obviously.

The problem today, for most people, isn't a question of WHAT commandments apply, but, HOW to apply them.

How can an imperfect and flawed individual keep the Law?

That is the question one should ask. The answer to which is virtually impossible to describe under these circumstances.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Jun '13 06:351 edit
    I am not limiting anything.

I am asking the question.

To my knowledge there are over 600 commandments in the bible...

But it's not my religion, so I am asking those who are of that religion which ones they think still apply.
    I believe there where only ten basic commandments or laws given to Moses directly from God for the children of Israel to follow. They have been already presented by another poster.

The additional commanments or laws were additions by Moses in an attempt to govern a rebellious people and provide immediate punishment for disobeying the spirit of the original ten given directly by God. They are equivalent to the civil laws of each nation of people today. We problably have more than 600 today. But if we get caught violating one of them and found guilty, like in the courts of Moses, we must endure the punishment.

So my answer is that the laws added by Moses are superseded by the civil laws on the books today. And we will still have to deal with our punisment from God for disobeying His original spiritual commandments.

The Instructor

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree