1. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    05 May '09 19:55
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    you know very well what he is referring to, the preposterous idea that species mutate into other species, what else?
    I'm not getting it. What are you claiming is so preposterous? Are you claiming it is preposterous to think that genetic mutation occurs? Are you claiming it is preposterous to think genetic mutation could occur on any level that could, along with other factors, result in speciation? Are you claiming something that delimits the degree to which genetic mutation could effect traits that are relevant to talk of species classification? Or something else?

By the way, do you know anything at all on this topic -- a topic that you love declaiming on so much?
  2. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    05 May '09 20:21
    you know very well what he is referring to, the preposterous idea that species mutate into other species, what else?
    http://www.makingthemodernworld.org.uk/learning_modules/biology/01.TU.03/?section=9
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '09
    Moves
    05 May '09 21:191 edit
    There are many people in this world who beleive in God. They see evolution as one way to explain a aspect of His creation.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 May '09 21:261 edit
    Originally posted by Thomas Lavery
    There are many people in this world who beleive in God. They see evolution as one way to explain a aspect of His creation.
    been through it my friend, as yet we have yet to see ANY evidence as to why God would choose the evolutionarily hypothesis, if it is an unsubstantiated belief then that is one thing, but to state that God used the evolutionary hypothesis is quite another. I would like to see the reason as to why he would do such a thing, plus the actual evidence is quite contrary, for example, perhaps you can provide an example of one species mutating into another? environmental factors may indicate why a lion is a stronger lion than his rival, but this does not mean that he will become a zebra, does it!
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    05 May '09 23:58
    Originally posted by jaywill
    These things are also very impressive. But how can I possibly assume that the source of such a human mind is not greater?
    If you think that's impressive, just think how smart the creator of God [i.e., the source of the source!] must be.
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '09
    Moves
    06 May '09 00:15
    One species does not mutate into another. God creates a creature but we do not know what this creature is until it matures. Think of the embryo in the womb of the mother. Gradually it grows and developes, and passes from one form to another, until it appeares as man.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 May '09 00:341 edit
    Originally posted by Thomas Lavery
    One species does not mutate into another. God creates a creature but we do not know what this creature is until it matures. Think of the embryo in the womb of the mother. Gradually it grows and developes, and passes from one form to another, until it appeares as man.
    how do we know what the creature will be until it matures? for the DNA contains the blueprint for what will ultimately be formed, thus humans produce humans, Lions lions and giraffes, giraffes. not only that, but quite contrary to the idea that mutations are produced by aberrations at a molecular level, DNA is very robust and resists attempts at distortion. are you sure we are referring to the same idea when we state evolution?
  8. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 May '09 03:27
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    If you think that's impressive, just think how smart the creator of God [i.e., the source of the source!] must be.
    ====================================
    ========================================

I don't think this kind of infinite regress exists - the source of the source of the source of the source of the source, going back and back to the creator of the creator of the creator of the creator of God.

I think the cosmic buck stops with God.
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    07 May '09 03:521 edit
    Originally posted by jaywill
    [b]====================================
    ========================================

I don't think this kind of infinite regress exists - the source of the source of the source of the source of the source, going back and back to ...[text shortened]... the creator of the creator of the creator of God.

I think the cosmic buck stops with God.[/b]
    Surely a being as powerful and intelligent as God did not come to exist by mere chance.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 May '09 05:351 edit
    for the DNA contains the blueprint for what will ultimately be formed, thus humans produce humans, Lions lions and giraffes, giraffes.
    But the DNA does not contain the names of the species in its code. The species names are man-made and used for classification. In fact the blue print of a being we would classify as human is extremely similar to another being that we would classify as chimpanzee with the differences being merely a matter of degree.

I must also point out that it is perfectly possible for a dog and a wolf to mate and produce offspring that is neither dog nor wolf - and this situation is far from unique.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 May '09 08:172 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    But the DNA does not contain the names of the species in its code. The species names are man-made and used for classification. In fact the blue print of a being we would classify as human is extremely similar to another being that we would classify as chimpanzee with the differences being merely a matter of degree.

I must also point out that it is perf ...[text shortened]... mate and produce offspring that is neither dog nor wolf - and this situation is far from unique.
    as it has been noted, there is clearly variety among a certain species, thus ol Darwin saw variety among his now famous finches, there are big dogs and wee dogs, there are no half cat/half dogs, there are no half mouse half horses! you will also note that attempts to breed even closely related species such as horses and donkeys, produce an animal, impotent, unable to pass its genetic code onto the next generation. Mutations are no basis for the evolutionary hypothesis.

Consider the conclusion after zillions of experiments

“The clear-cut mutants of Drosophila (fruit flies), with which so much of the classical research in genetics was done, are almost without exception inferior to wild-type flies in viability, fertility, longevity.”

- Theodosis Dobzhansky, hereditary and the nature of man, page 126

and on the remarkable ability of ther genetic code to preserve its integrity, the well respected late geneticist Richard Goldschmidt is quoted in the book Darwin Retired, “After observing mutations in fruit flies for many years, Goldschmidt fell into despair. The changes, he lamented, were so hopelessly micro that if a thousand mutations were combined in one specimen, there would still be no new species.”

- Darwin retired, Norman Macbeth, p33
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 May '09 09:45
    as it has been noted, there is clearly variety among a certain species, thus ol Darwin saw variety among his now famous finches,
    You are being extremely inconsistent. Originally you claimed that speciation does not take place. Let me point out that Darwins finches are infact a number of different species:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin%27s_finches

Your post more or less admits that you believe them to be related - contradicting your earlier claim.

there are big dogs and wee dogs, there are no half cat/half dogs
    But there are half dog/half wolf, half dog/half something else for about 5 different species.

you will also note that attempts to breed even closely related species such as horses and donkeys, produce an animal, impotent, unable to pass its genetic code onto the next generation.
    Closely related? In what way? Surely you are not implying that horses and donkeys have a common ancestor as that would contradict your 'no speciation' claim.
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 May '09 10:13
    They are funny, those christian fundamentalists denying evolution: They use evolutionary arguments to prove their anti-evolution opinions.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 May '09 10:32
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    They are funny, those christian fundamentalists denying evolution: They use evolutionary arguments to prove their anti-evolution opinions.
    and why not, its the only dogma you are prepared to listen to! 🙂
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 May '09 10:343 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You are being extremely inconsistent. Originally you claimed that speciation does not take place. Let me point out that Darwins finches are infact a number of different species:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin%27s_finches

Your post more or less admits that you believe them to be related - contradicting your earlier claim.

there are big dog horses and donkeys have a common ancestor as that would contradict your 'no speciation' claim.
    contradicting my earlier claim, nonsense! i stated earlier that there was variation within a species, do you want me to retrieve it and stick it to your forehead? Darwin smarwin! finches are finches, they are not eagles or ospreys, or chickens are they.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree