1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 Jul '14 21:19
    Originally posted by Agerg
    If this so-called "G"od has brought about some manifestation of his otherworldly powers in this plane, then at some point there should also have been some sort of evidence of it.
    As an example: your god, if it has the properties you suppose, could interact with this planet now in such way to convince us all that either he exists, or, for the die-hard sceptic ...[text shortened]... cing banjo (I see no reason why he could not do this) ... that would be pretty compelling to me!
    From your perspective, when did critical thinking begin?
    I don't mean it offensively, but at what point do we stop extending to historical figures the (seemingly) inherent intellectual curiosity for which we give ourselves credit?
    What makes us think our perspective and analysis ought to carry more weight than those who have gone before us?
    Put another way, do we really think those who claim to have had the interactions with the God of the Bible were simply easily duped?
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 Jul '14 21:341 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    My answers would be no, and no, for reasons I've outlined before.

But the way you put this started me thinking. The questions seem like they have relativistic weight, that is, the answer could change based on the belief status of the answerer.

If one does not believe, then no, there can be no evidence. Yet if one does believe, there can be evidence ...[text shortened]... r model everywhere. 🙂

Edit: This is how people see Jesus in their pancake or their tortilla.
    I like the cut of your jib.

Like you, I find the evidence of God everywhere.
    I haven't found His likeness on a tortilla as of yet, but I haven't really been looking there.
    Also like you, I think there's just enough "absence" to keep the issue from being 'concrete,' for lack of a better way of describing it.

Which is part of the point I am trying to drive home: faith in the expectation of results or reality from events within the physical world is the smallest faith of all.
    It is the slightest hope, a nearly thrown-away confidence lacking any significant reward owing to its next-to-nothing risk.
    We put seed into the ground = a very good chance a crop will eventually follow.

My awkward attempt here is to somehow link and relate that which constitutes faith with the elusive nature of God.
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    19 Jul '14 01:15
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I like the cut of your jib.

Like you, I find the evidence of God everywhere.
    I haven't found His likeness on a tortilla as of yet, but I haven't really been looking there.
    Also like you, I think there's just enough "absence" to keep the issue from being 'concrete,' for lack of a better way of describing it.

Which is part of the point I am trying to ...[text shortened]... here is to somehow link and relate that which constitutes faith with the elusive nature of God.
    If there is any evidence for God I find truly crass its when people claim to find his likeness in chips, crisps and other random foods. Really there is such a thing as dignity and if God exists then (s)he's not going to appear in junk food.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Jul '14 01:19
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    If there is any evidence for God I find truly crass its when people claim to find his likeness in chips, crisps and other random foods. Really there is such a thing as dignity and if God exists then (s)he's not going to appear in junk food.
    And they will sell it on Ebay too because it is so sacred to them.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 Jul '14 01:33
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    God made our sun and all the stars. That shows His might power right there. .
    Not only did he create the sun and stars but he also planted evidence
    pointing to his non-existence! He then randomly selected from the
    feeble-minded and gave them "belief". That is AWESOME!!!
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Jul '14 01:34
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    If people take comfort in believing Jesus has appeared to them, then good for them. I see no harm in it.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Jul '14 01:35
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Not only did he create the sun and stars but he also planted evidence
    pointing to his non-existence! He then randomly selected from the
    feeble-minded and gave them "belief". That is AWESOME!!!
    You know what's awesome, Wolfy? YOU ARE!!!
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Jul '14 01:57
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    You know what's awesome, Wolfy? YOU ARE!!!
    Yes, an AWESOME fulfillment of Biblical prophecy.

2 Peter 3:3 King James Version (KJV)

Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
  9. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Jul '14 13:01
    Assuming the God as depicted in the Bible is true, is it reasonable to also assume there ought to exist some form of evidence for His existence on this plane?

The God described transcends normative thinking, appears to be outside time/space/creation; can we really expect for there to be any evidence at all?
    we cannot expect there to be evidence and equally he cannot expect us to believe when there is no evidence. the onus is on him.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Jul '14 19:54
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    we cannot expect there to be evidence and equally he cannot expect us to believe when there is no evidence. the onus is on him.
    Who is he and him?
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Jul '14 20:192 edits
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    Actually, no, the onus is on you. God is not on trial here. Man is the one on trial.

And yes, He can and does expect you to believe when there is no evidence. It is called faith.

The benefit of learning about Him is yours and the consequences of rejecting Him are yours as well. So make your choice. The thing is, people do not choose a plumber without researching them six ways from Sunday, and yet they don't bother to learn about God, thinking they already know it all.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Jul '14 20:39
    Given the ephemeral nature of history (lush gardens become deserts, gigantic boulders reduced to sands on the beach, entire societies rise and fall), what testimony or monument would you consider sturdy enough to withstand the ravages of erosive time?
    Sorry, I don't know what you are asking. Are you asking what monuments I know of that have lasted, or are you asking what current monuments I think will last, or are you asking me to devise a monument I think will last?
    And how is it relevant anyway?
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Jul '14 20:44
    What makes us think our perspective and analysis ought to carry more weight than those who have gone before us?
    Put another way, do we really think those who claim to have had the interactions with the God of the Bible were simply easily duped?
    I don't know why you brought up history here. I know plenty of people living today that claim to have had interactions with the God of the Bible. I believe there have been critical thinkers in the past, and that critical thinkers exist today. None of this means I give much credit to people claiming to have interactions with God past or present - just the same as I don't give much credit to people claiming to have interacted with aliens. And this applies to critical thinkers or otherwise.
    What are your thoughts on aliens? Do you really think those who claim to have had interactions with aliens were simply easily duped?
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Jul '14 20:55
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I don't know why you brought up history here. I know plenty of people living today that claim to have had interactions with the God of the Bible. I believe there have been critical thinkers in the past, and that critical thinkers exist today. None of this means I give much credit to people claiming to have interactions with God past or present - just the ...[text shortened]... you really think those who claim to have had interactions with aliens were simply easily duped?
    He was asking Agerg, and, by extension, all the atheists, if they should really think that those in the Bible who claimed interaction with God were just "easily duped". He wasn't talking of himself. One could assume he doesn't agree with that assessment.

A more direct comparison would be for you to answer your own question yourself. Do you really think those who claim to have had interactions with aliens were simply easily duped? Or is that just reserved for those of Godly faith?
  15. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    19 Jul '14 21:311 edit
    From your perspective, when did critical thinking begin?
    I don't mean it offensively, but at what point do we stop extending to historical figures the (seemingly) inherent intellectual curiosity for which we give ourselves credit?
    Put another ...[text shortened]... those who claim to have had the interactions with the God of the Bible were simply easily duped?
    We are not cheapening the intellectual integrity of those that came before us by saying their accounts of the supernatural are not trust-worthy** There were a great many critical thinkers back in antiquity - and I trust them in many circles of inquiry - just not when it comes to the supernatural.
    The difference we have in this day and age is the access to information, and the ability to document new events in numerous formats. If a miracle really does happen, there will likely be the means to record it on an unbiased medium (like video for example), and the means for those qualified to analyse (and possibly debunk) it.
    In Bible-time history the only real way (for the majority whom I believe were not literate) of documenting that (if) something miraculous happened would have been to share one's supposed experience with another by word of mouth who may or may not write it down. In this information exchange there are two sources of error:
    1 - the person recounting an event in that they may omit details, over-emphasise details, purposely or inadvertently introduce details that never actually happened.
    2 - the listener in that they may disregard certain details, place unwarranted emphasis on details, "fill in the gaps" with additional details that might never have happened.

Also, acknowledging that the person in 2 might have passed on this information to another person 3 (introducing another 2 sources of error - indeed one can argue that with n people in the chain from the point of experience to the physical recording of the event there are 2(n-1) sources of error), the majority of people who are said to have experienced these miracles were unlikely to have been scientifically, philosophically, or logically trained and so I can say with a certain degree of confidence that they were easily duped (as per my footnote almost also was I once!)

------------------------------------------------------------------
    ** Many of us would like to believe in the supernatural and the strength of this desire can be dependent on the circumstances - but testimony is inherently untrustworthy. Reveal Hidden Content
    I, as I'm sure you are well, aware don't keep my non-belief a secret - yet I could have been forgiven for wavering in my conviction when, as I still recall today, on the night my dad died 7 years ago I felt what seemed like a hand placed on my shoulder in some re-assuring sense. Weeks later I was able to rationalise this in that it was most likely a fiction created by myself in response to having lost someone so important (I wanted to think he hadn't gone forever, and so on...). Others without that analysis would probably take it as evidence that their father was saying good-bye for one last time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree