1. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 03:32
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Muslims face Mecca to pray (the Qibla). Muhammad is buried in Medina, where he died. He changed the Qibla from Jerusalem to Mecca while he lived in Medina.

I believe that Muslims who live in Medina also turn toward Mecca to pray--depending in what part of Medina they live, presumably that means they face away from the Prophet's tomb resting place.
    OK... so that is something that I've learned today. But why Mecca? How did Muhammad come up with that rule for praying?
  2. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 03:37
    Originally posted by ckoh1965
    OK... so that is something that I've learned today. But why Mecca? How did Muhammad come up with that rule for praying?
    All I can say, without searching it out, is that Muhammad was from Mecca originally, and that the Kaaba holy site is in Mecca. The first Qibla was toward Jerusalem, and Muhammad apparently quite suddenly changed it one day while in prayer.

I seem to recall a reference to it in the Qur'an, but can't remember where. If I come across it again, I'll post it...

For now, though, 'night...
  3. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 03:54
    Originally posted by vistesd
    All I can say, without searching it out, is that Muhammad was from Mecca originally, and that the Kaaba holy site is in Mecca. The first Qibla was toward Jerusalem, and Muhammad apparently quite suddenly changed it one day while in prayer.

I seem to recall a reference to it in the Qur'an, but can't remember where. If I come across it again, I'll post it...

For now, though, 'night...
    OK... thanks for the information.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree