1. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    10 Jul '05 20:51
    In my humble athiest opinion: the devil is a figment of the imagination conjured as an excuse by weak minded people and those who don't want to understand.

To turn down the existance of gods or devils is not burying one's head in the sand.. it is facing reality.

The classic over-used "The devil made me do it" excuse is just rot.

Everyone should take ownership of good and evil yourself. Do only good. Actively reject evil.
  2. Riding the Atom Bomb
    Moves
    10 Jul '05 21:481 edit
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    In my humble athiest opinion: the devil is a figment of the imagination conjured as an excuse by weak minded people and those who don't want to understand.

To turn down the existance of gods or devils is not burying one's head in the ...[text shortened]... ip of good and evil yourself. Do only good. Actively reject evil.
    I agree with you, the attitude of people saying that it is the devils fault, its not right that they blame him. I do believe the devil to be real, but then again i believe the bible so i would naturally believe what it says.
    as your an atheist the bible holds no ground with you, which is fair enough. can i ask you a question tho. Do you believe in demons?
  3. Not Kansas
    Moves
    10 Jul '05 22:30

To turn down the existance of gods or devils is not burying one's head in the sand.. it is facing reality.

Everyone should take ownership of good and evil yourself. Do only good. Actively reject evil.
    I wonder if that means Miss Jones doesn't exist.
  4. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    10 Jul '05 23:22
    As described in the xtian bible, I agree. As a metaphor of our own existance, not so sure.
  5. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    11 Jul '05 00:08

I find it more helpful to say that evil exists. The OT passage in the church I attend was Genesis 3 this morning. What struck me was that perhaps the original sin was not so much taking the fruit from the tree of knowledge as it was the propensity of both Adam and Eve to blame (The devil made me do it) and all the womderful expressions of it. Adam even has a way of implicating God: "This woman that you provided for me..."

Whether or not there is some guy running around iwth horns and a pointy tail I know not, but I do know that we live in a culture of blame. Not often you hear someone say "yea, I screwed up."
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jul '05 00:39
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I find it more helpful to say that evil exists. The OT passage in the church I attend was Genesis 3 this morning. What struck me was that perhaps the original sin was not so much taking the fruit from the tree of knowledge as it was the propensity of both Adam and Eve to blame (The devil made me do it) and all the womderful expressions of it. Adam ev ...[text shortened]... o know that we live in a culture of blame. Not often you hear someone say "yea, I screwed up."
    Our culture not only does not have many people saying "It is my fault
    I screwed up" it goes after those that do with law suits more times
    than not it seems.
    Kelly
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Jul '05 01:15
    Do you even know what God is?
  8. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    11 Jul '05 02:15

Of course you dont believe in the Devil, I dont know of an atheist that does. of course I do I also believe in Demons, and have seen personaly somone who was demon processed. before I always thought that there was no demons. But after that one advent there is no doubt in my mind that there are demons.

I agree to say that the devil made you do it is an excuse. but I also think that there are some people who dont have control over themselves, In which I would call demon processed
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jul '05 02:19
    Originally posted by flyUnity
    Of course you dont believe in the Devil, I dont know of an atheist that does. of course I do I also believe in Demons, and have seen personaly somone who was demon processed. before I always thought that there was no demons. But after that one advent there is no doubt in my mind that there are demons.

I agree to say that the devil made you do it is an ...[text shortened]... ere are some people who dont have control over themselves, In which I would call demon processed
    There are spiritual realities if God and the devil are real that
    would not be provable yet give a reason for some actions
    and events in single lives, and for those of nations too.
    Temptation is one of the devils major goals with the human
    race clearly something the devil would still be up too. The
    devil made me do it isn’t something you can really blame
    on the devil, if all he did was tempt us. The statement,
    “The devil made me do it” could only be laid at the devil’s
    feet if one was possessed by demon/s at least that is how I
    understand it according the stories within scripture.

Those that dabble in the paranormal run the risk of playing
    around with spiritual beings that do not have their best
    interest at heart. Those looking for the ghost/spirits of loved
    ones run the risk of playing with demons masquerading as
    those that they wanted to talk to. I believe most that claim
    to actually talk to the dead are frauds, yet on occasion you
    hear someone say, “How could anyone know that, only X
    knew that and we were alone.” Spiritual being looking in
    on us would know everything any of our departed friends
    and loved ones would know too. Some of newer shows on
    TV coming up seems to be dealing in those that can talk to
    the dead and some of the more popular movies as Star Wars
    and others. This would basically make speaking to the dead
    or spiritual beings from beyond normal after a fashion in
    many of the genres in today’s film and screen plays.

It is a dark subject and really not one I’d care to spend to
    much time worrying about.
    Kelly
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    11 Jul '05 02:29
    Originally posted by KneverKnight
    I wonder if that means Miss Jones doesn't exist.
    That woman sure knew how to tame those snakes...
  11. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    11 Jul '05 02:361 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    There are spiritual realities if God and the devil are real that
    would not be provable yet give a reason for some actions
    and events in single lives, and for those of nations too.
    Temptation is one of the devils major goals with the hum ...[text shortened]... y not one I’d care to spend to
    much time worrying about.
    Kelly
    I have a friend who used to play in witchcraft, he became a christian, and he said he was in scary stuff, He stays far from it now, and now helps others stay away from it,

Gary E. Schwartz has done studies that in theory prove that there are mediums that talk to the dead, Although I think your right in saying that most of them are frauds. King Saul in the Bible supposedly talked to the dead through a medium
  12. Joined
    05 Jul '05
    Moves
    11 Jul '05 02:40
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Do you even know what God is?
    God is not a "what" God is a "who."
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jul '05 02:49
    Originally posted by flyUnity
    I have a friend who used to play in witchcraft, he became a christian, and he said he was in scary stuff, He stays far from it now, and now helps others stay away from it,

Gary E. Schwartz has done studies that in theory prove that there are mediums that talk to the dead, Although I think your right in saying that most of them are frauds. King Saul in the Bible supposedly talked to the dead through a medium
    Me too, I know people with the same type of past. One quit but
    did not get rid of her books. She called her house haunted, people
    I know said that they saw things like all the clothes in a closet
    suddendy move from one side to another by themselves. She moved
    and so did her so called ghosts, they too moved into her new house.
    I told her to get rid of her books and turn to God, but that wasn't
    something she wanted to do. I don't believe those were ghosts either
    and told her so, I think she understood, but didn't change her mind.
    She said she quit witchcraft because things were getting very scary
    and she couldn't take it anymore.
    Kelly
  14. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    11 Jul '05 05:541 edit
    Originally posted by dale21
    I agree with you, the attitude of people saying that it is the devils fault, its not right that they blame him. I do believe the devil to be real, but then again i believe the bible so i would naturally believe what it says.
    as your an athe ...[text shortened]... ir enough. can i ask you a question tho. Do you believe in demons?
    No I doubt. Even the phrase "Everyone has their demons" belongs in a movie script. demons are bad acts that haunt your conscience... straighten out your deeds and peace will come to your mind.

Edit ps... I don't doubt the bible was the best account of what people saw and/or believed at the time.

15. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    11 Jul '05 06:01
    Originally posted by David C
    As described in the xtian bible, I agree. As a metaphor of our own existance, not so sure.
    ? You mean you believe a diety made us and the universe? I don't. Just because we don't know the origin or extent of something doesn't mean a diety made it, though I guess people around 3000yrs ago thought that way.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree