1. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    27 Jan '08 19:10
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    how does an evolutionist explain different races? first of all it should be pointed out at the different races come from different environments which could be the cause, asians from asia, whites from europe, blacks from africa and so on. did the different environments have an effect on how each race adapted and evolved?
    not being funny, but there is no such thing as an 'evolutionist'.

Evolution is a theory, not a belief.
  2. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    27 Jan '08 19:40
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    "Race" is not a biological term.

Now we can talk about specific traits; for example, the different eye shape of east Asians, I've read, helps protect their eyes against dust storms. Dark skin protects against the sun. Etc.
    would you call us different species of the same family? or would you say we are just all human collectively just w/ different traits? if im not mistaken different species cant reproduce together, and when they do their offspring cant reproduce.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Jan '08 19:52
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    would you call us different species of the same family? or would you say we are just all human collectively just w/ different traits? if im not mistaken different species cant reproduce together, and when they do their offspring cant reproduce.
    would you call us different species of the same family?

If by "us" you mean different "races", then no.

or would you say we are just all human collectively just w/ different traits?

Yes.

if im not mistaken different species cant reproduce together, and when they do their offspring cant reproduce.

That's pretty accurate, but neither you nor I are calling "races" different species.
  4. Joined
    13 Feb '07
    Moves
    27 Jan '08 20:50
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The lack of sun intensity, made it harder to make vitamin D with darker skin but also lowered the risk of skin cancer if darker skin was lost.

Did you mean INCREASED the risk of...?
    Prehaps I wasn't clear. I meant that with a decreased sunlight intensity, the risk of skin cancer was reduced. This meant that the benifit confered by dark skin wasn't so necessary. Also, in the lower intensity vitamin D synthesis was reduced, so dark skin was lost, as it blocked vit D synthesis.
    Maybe just take the first and last part of my sentence. 'The lack of sun intensity... lowered the risk of skin cancer if darker skin was lost.'
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Jan '08 21:39
    Originally posted by Jake Ellison
    Prehaps I wasn't clear. I meant that with a decreased sunlight intensity, the risk of skin cancer was reduced. This meant that the benifit confered by dark skin wasn't so necessary. Also, in the lower intensity vitamin D synthesis was reduced, so dark skin was lost, as it blocked vit D synthesis.
    Maybe just take the first and last part of my sentence. 'The lack of sun intensity... lowered the risk of skin cancer if darker skin was lost.'
    OK.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Jan '08 09:28
    Originally posted by jaywill
    My skin is dark and I am of African ancestry by way of removal to America via slave trade.

But I have never understood to what extent environment plays a part in skin color to the fullest extent.

Indonesia, India for example, are [b]hot
    like equatorial Africa.

Where do you think the black Aborigonies of Australia came from?[/b]
    I believe that in India, skin color is generally darker the further south you go. I think the same applies in the far east, Indonesians for example are darker than the Chinese and Japanese.
    In Africa, the tribes near the southern tip of Africa are lighter than those from the equatorial regions. But there is quite a lot of variation even within a tribe and all people white, brown or black have the ability to 'tan' or get darker if exposed to the sun.
    Does anyone know if there is much variation in the skin color of native Americans?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree