1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    25 May '06 09:00
    Is anybody interested in reading through and discussing Dante's fantastic poem? It would be slow going, but this forum moves at such a glacial pace that the thread should never be too far away! (If you don't have it I recommend the Everyman edition in Allen Mandelbaum's compelling, light-handed translation).
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 May '06 09:09
    Great idea, but I've read it a long time ago and I don't remember almost any specifics. Why not start by posting the first Canto and then comment on it, and so on?
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    25 May '06 09:13
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Great idea, but I've read it a long time ago and I don't remember almost any specifics. Why not start by posting the first Canto and then comment on it, and so on?
    I'm reading it again now, so I'm in the same boat as you.

Do you mean posting entire Cantos here?!

One canto at a time sounds good--what pace? One a week? There are online translations but they are a bit turgid (the English ones anyway), so unless you can read the Italian, which is also online, I'd recommend buying the book.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 May '06 09:30
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I'm reading it again now, so I'm in the same boat as you.

Do you mean posting entire Cantos here?!

One canto at a time sounds good--what pace? One a week? There are online translations but they are a bit turgid (the English ones anyway), so unless you can read the Italian, which is also online, I'd recommend buying the book.
    Isn't this one the one you were talking about?

http://dante.ilt.columbia.edu/comedy/index.html

There's two English translations, one of which Mandelbaum's and the original Italian version.
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    25 May '06 09:33
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Isn't this one the one you were talking about?

http://dante.ilt.columbia.edu/comedy/index.html

There's two English translations, one of which Mandelbaum's and the original Italian version.
    You're a genius.

All set then. What pace do you fancy?
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 May '06 09:37
    You're a genius.

All set then. What pace do you fancy?
    One canto at a time for the start. If it doesn't work out it can always be changed.

I'm not a literary or a Dante expert, so don't expect much from me. I'm mostly interested in hearing what others have to say and will attempt to provide some input from time to time...
  7. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    25 May '06 10:21

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    25 May '06 10:271 edit
    Originally posted by catfoodtim
    One a week sounds a good enough pace, though, like Palynka, I suspect I'll be dipping in and out if that's ok?
    How do you scream "Nein!" in Italian?

I'm sure that'll be fine...there are 100 cantos in all, so if we're all here in 2 years time, we'll be frigging well up on Dante...(Think we can make it two a week? They're only a few pages long each.)
  9. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    25 May '06 10:39
    How do you scream "Nein!" in Italian?

I'm sure that'll be fine...there are 100 cantos in all, so if we're all here in 2 years time, we'll be frigging well up on Dante...
    This is a great idea, and we can always skip Purgatorio.
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    25 May '06 10:40
    Originally posted by bbarr
    This is a great idea, and we can always skip Purgatorio.
    Yes...Paradiso is exceptionally mysterious and takes twice as long to read, so that's probably the right way to go.
  11. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    25 May '06 10:541 edit
    Yes...Paradiso is exceptionally mysterious and takes twice as long to read, so that's probably the right way to go.
    I've read Paradise Lost several times and adore it, but for some reason I've never read anythign by Dante, so this would be of great interest to me.
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    25 May '06 11:03
    Originally posted by Starrman
    I've read Paradise Lost several times and adore it, but for some reason I've never read anythign by Dante, so this would be of great interest to me.
    OK. Let this not be another Apology, everyone. (Mandelbaum's a much better translator than whoever translated that text, and Dante is, to me at least, much more interesting than Plato).
  13. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    25 May '06 11:18
    I'm in, too.
  14. Joined
    30 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 May '06 19:19
    Is anybody interested in reading through and discussing Dante's fantastic poem? It would be slow going, but this forum moves at such a glacial pace that the thread should never be too far away! (If you don't have it I recommend the Everyman edition in Allen Mandelbaum's compelling, light-handed translation).
    I'm in. I'm currently rereading the whole Divine Comedy (Ciardi translation) and am near the end of the Purgatorio (the earthly paradise). The Ciardi version is fantastic for anyone interested. He maintains a cohesive rhyme scheme throughout the entire poem which I believe is similar if not the same as Dante's.
  15. North Carolina
    Moves
    25 May '06 20:25
    I've only read the Inferno, but I'd love to hear some thoughts on the deeper meaning of the story. I understand (sort of) the levels and who goes there, but are there any deeper ideas?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree