The Divine Comedy

The Divine Comedy

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
29 May 06

Originally posted by catfoodtim
Edit: You can't beat William Blake:

http://www2.bc.edu/%7Egirvinj/CantoI.html
A lot more Blake here, including all the Dante illustrations: http://www.blakearchive.org/blake/indexworks.htm?java=yes

R

Moves
29 May 06

Originally posted by catfoodtim
What's the significance of Virgil as a guide?
Virgil is Dante's representation of human reason, or since Virgil was the greatest Italian poet (until Dante came) he could represent the pinnacle of human achievement without God. Virgil is not able to lead Dante through Paradise, thus Dante shows human reason can only take somebody so far; it cannot get a person into Heaven unaided, and it cannot comprehend the wonders of God.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
30 May 06

Originally posted by Ramiri15
Virgil is Dante's representation of human reason, or since Virgil was the greatest Italian poet (until Dante came) he could represent the pinnacle of human achievement without God.
I haven't encountered many 17-year-olds with an interest in Dante. What got you reading him?

R

Moves
31 May 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
I haven't encountered many 17-year-olds with an interest in Dante. What got you reading him?
We read parts of the Inferno in school, but I found the poem so absorbing that I bought the whole Comedy and plowed through it a couple summers ago. As far as why I like the poem, I guess the large amount of symbolism and the hierarchy of all the layers was what attracted me to it. I also enjoy history a lot so the endnotes were almost as interesting as the poem itself.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
03 Jun 06

We read parts of the Inferno in school, but I found the poem so absorbing that I bought the whole Comedy and plowed through it a couple summers ago.
I got into Dante through Samuel Beckett. You should try his short story Dante & the Lobster some time.

P

North Carolina

Moves
05 Jun 06
1 edit

What are you confused about specifically? The symbolism? Possible allegorical interpretations? There's just so much to the Comedy that it's hard to answer such a broad question.
Why did he vision Hell this way? Like the levels and different punishments and the symbolic refrences behind them. Like Judas, Cassius and Brutus as the three tratiors. Or why Limbo is a place of suffering without torment. Things like that. I'm only 17 years old, and I liked the book, I just found it very complex. I'm not a stupid person or anything, but I didn't get some of the material.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
06 Jun 06

Canto II

The following evening. Invocation to the Muses. The narrator's questioning of his worthiness to visit the deathless world. Virgil's comforting explanation that he has been sent to help Dante by three Ladies of Heaven. The voyager heartened. Their setting out.