1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 May '12 17:32
    lets all suspend our own agendas for a moment.

lets say the earth IS 6000yrs old. god said the end days are near. 2000 years ago, that would make the earth 4000yrs old when he said it. what do we think he meant time wise.
    it would have to be less than whats gone before at least, so that would mean it has to be within the next 2000 years, but surely even the upper end of another 4000 years from the first 4000 would be too much to use the words soon or near.
    so what would people define as happening soon if you only have 4000yrs behind you and at what point would you start suspecting its not going to happen.
  2. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    23 May '12 17:53
    Originally posted by stellspalfie

lets say the earth IS 6000yrs old. god said the end days are near. 2000 years ago, that would make the earth 4000yrs old when he said it. what do we think he meant time wise.
    it would have to be less than whats gone before at least, so that would mean it has to be within the next 2000 years, but surel ...[text shortened]... ly have 4000yrs behind you and at what point would you start suspecting its not going to happen.
    when everybody who "heard" him say it dies off and it still hasn't come, you begin to suspect it was all nonsense.
  3. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    23 May '12 21:54

it would have to be less than whats gone before at least, so that would mean it has to be within the next 2000 years, but surel ...[text shortened]... ly have 4000yrs behind you and at what point would you start suspecting its not going to happen.
    I posted this before.
  4. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 May '12 23:10
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    I posted this before.
    well i shall see you in court sir!!!!
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 May '12 23:29

"...and at what point would you start suspecting its not going to happen."[?]

We know it will happen. Everything that God said would happen, has happened so far. Why should we think that "the end" won't happen just as God said it will?

It's a no-brainer.
  6. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    24 May '12 01:42
    well i shall see you in court sir!!!!
    Na. I was just saying because u probably won't get much response.
  7. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    24 May '12 06:16
    The Coming Day of the Lord 2 Peter 3 www.biblegateway.com

3 Know this first of all, that in the last days mockers will come with their mocking, following after their own lusts, 4 and saying, “ Where is the promise of His coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all continues just as it was from the beginning of creation.” 5 For [a]when they maintain this, it escapes their notice that by the word of God the heavens existed long ago and the earth was formed out of water and by water, 6 through which the world at that time was destroyed, being flooded with water. 7 But by His word the present heavens and earth are being reserved for fire, kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.

8 But do not let this one fact escape your notice, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like one day. 9 The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.

Manny
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 May '12 06:38
    I thought you were a YEC?
  9. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    24 May '12 07:59
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"...and at what point would you start suspecting its not going to happen."[?]

We know it will happen. Everything that God said would happen, has happened so far. Why should we think that "the end" won't happen just as God said it will?

It's a no-brainer.[/b]
    Couldnt have set it any better myself.

It is a no brainer.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 May '12 08:10
    Everything that God said would happen, has happened so far.
    You mean that everything that God said would happen and has happened has happened. But thats true by definition - or circular reasoning, whichever way you want to put it.
  11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 May '12 08:41
    looks like you are right.
  12. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 May '12 08:53
    [b]"...and at what point would you start suspecting its not going to happen."[?]

It's a no-brainer.[/b]
    im not saying it wont. im asking if its possible using gods words to work out when it is most likely to happen. as we know we are living in the end days now and we know from a christian point of view how old the universe is and we have some words from god, it could be possible to work it out.

id say if its going to happen it, it would have by now. i think we are past the point in which you can describe something as soon. id say at 4000yrs a maximum of a 25% increase would be the upper limit.

ill assume everybody totally agrees with this. so does this mean there will be no godly end of the world scenario, or does it mean the earth is older than 6000yrs.

ill assume everybody agrees with the latter, thus proving without a doubt that genesis is wrong. well done me!!!
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 May '12 00:39
    im not saying it wont. im asking if its possible using gods words to work out when it is most likely to happen. as we know we are living in the end days now and we know from a christian point of view how old the universe is and we have some words from god, it could be possible to work it out.

id say if its going to happen it, it would have by now. i ...[text shortened]... body agrees with the latter, thus proving without a doubt that genesis is wrong. well done me!!!
    Genesis begins with the creation week. This week is a time period equal to 7 days and nights as we calculate a week today. The time in Genesis of the creation week has nothing to do with the Lord coming in the clouds in the last days to save mankind. So the fact that the Lord has not come yet can not be used as a proof that Genesis is wrong about the creation week.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 May '12 12:361 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Genesis begins with the creation week. This week is a time period equal to 7 days and nights as we calculate a week today. The time in Genesis of the creation week has nothing to do with the Lord coming in the clouds in the last days to save mankind. So the fact that the Lord has not come yet can not be used as a proof that Genesis is wrong about the creation week.
    But the Earth wasn't created on the first day so the day had not been defined at that point. A day is the length of time the Earth takes to make one rotation on its axis. There was no axis to rotate around so why do keep insisting on the literal 7 day thing?
    Even if the Earth was made on the first day, it would have taken the second day to figure out what the length of one day was.

There is one hitch in all that: The day as we define it is slowing down due to the friction of the atmosphere and the friction engendered by the moon which is receding away from Earth at a rate of about an inch a year.

Which means in the past the day was shorter still since the Earth rotated faster so what is a day now was not a day thousands of years ago or millions.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 May '12 17:14
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    But the Earth wasn't created on the first day so the day had not been defined at that point. A day is the length of time the Earth takes to make one rotation on its axis. There was no axis to rotate around so why do keep insisting on the literal 7 day thing?
    Even if the Earth was made on the first day, it would have taken the second day to figure out what ...[text shortened]... the Earth rotated faster so what is a day now was not a day thousands of years ago or millions.
    God designed the heavens and the Earth before He created them and knew the time it was going to take for the earth to make one rotation, beforehand. So God knew the time it would take to create most of these things beforehand. So God did not need the Earth actually spining to know that creating the Heavens and the Earth was going to take the same amount of time it would take for Earth to make one rotation on its axis.

It was later revealed to man how to tell time by the Sun and moon, which God had plans for, but did not create until the fourth day. This is really the same as Engineers do today. They make there plans and designs and then the building begins.

The time measure in Genesis is based on a day, that is, as you correctly identified it as a complete rotation of the Earth. So a day of rotation is still a day of rotation no matter how fast or slow it rotates. However, the Earth must rotate within time limits to allow human life to exist on the Earth. So that is another reason that the days of Genesis must be from man's perspective and that is another reason the age of the Earth is only thousands of years old.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree