1. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    25 Feb '07 22:42
    Let's say man survives for 100000 million years and somehow after all that time and science and thinking and technology we reach the end of the road we have been going down......we have answered and explained all the questions that can possibly be asked ..even the big one....why are we here?...how does existence exist...? What caused it etc etc? Nothing that can be asked remains unanswered. We know so much that we even know that we can't have got it wrong. So in the biggest media event ever seen in the universe it is announced....."that's it folks we've figured EVERYTHING out now !"

QUESTION - Would this be the most glorious day in the history of mankind or the most utterly depressing?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    25 Feb '07 22:49
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    Let's say man survives for 100000 million years and somehow after all that time and science and thinking and technology we reach the end of the road we have been going down......we have answered and explained all the questions that can possibly be asked ..even the big one....why are we here?...how does existence exist...? What caused it etc etc? Nothin ...[text shortened]... ld this be the most glorious day in the history of mankind or the most utterly depressing?
    Depends. For the common man, there will be lifetimes and lifetimes of stuff to study. I enjoy studying science thoroughly despite never having discovered anything new myself.

Some people would get depressed, of course. It also depends on what our knowledge told us about the universe and what our capabilities and limitations are.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 Feb '07 23:06
    Let's say man survives for 100000 million years and somehow after all that time and science and thinking and technology we reach the end of the road we have been going down......we have answered and explained all the questions that can possibly be asked ..even the big one....why are we here?...how does existence exist...? What caused it etc etc? Nothin ...[text shortened]... ld this be the most glorious day in the history of mankind or the most utterly depressing?
    From my perspective we will spend eternity learning from God and never learn all there is to know.
    But I could be wrong about that!
  4. Cosmos
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 01:21
    Originally posted by josephw
    From my perspective we will spend eternity learning from God and never learn all there is to know.
    You are, because there is no God.
  5. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 01:26
    He would still need to figure out what he was going to eat for breakfast.
  6. Cosmos
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 01:281 edit
    Let's say man survives for 100000 million years and somehow after all that time and science and thinking and technology we reach the end of the road we have been going down......we have answered and explained all the questions that can possibly be asked ..even the big one....why are we here?...how does existence exist...? What caused it etc etc? Nothin ld this be the most glorious day in the history of mankind or the most utterly depressing?
    An interesting question.

It is unlikely that we could ever explore our entire universe, simply because of the vast scale involved and the amount of time needed to reach even the nearest star.
    Indeed, it will be logically impossible to reach every point in the universe if it is expanding faster than the speed of light.
    At the microscopic scale of things, we may never reach a point where we can percieve the smallest "thing", even if such an indivisable entity exists.

Thus whilst it may be possible to know of all the rules or laws governing the universe, I doubt that we will ever have knowledge of every individual thing in it.
    Mankind will always have the pleasure of discovering new entities or simply observing new instances of already discovered things.
  7. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 03:01
    then what is the point to learning? i quit school now cuz of you
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 03:06
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    then what is the point to learning? i quit school now cuz of you
    Hey great idea. Quit school and read the bible. lol
  9. Standard memberAcemaster
    Checkmate 2 U!
    Checkmating you!
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 03:46
    Hey great idea. Quit school and read the bible. lol
    Emphasize that, joe! LOL! That means it's a joke!
  10. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 08:55
    Originally posted by howardgee
    An interesting question.

It is unlikely that we could ever explore our entire universe, simply because of the vast scale involved and the amount of time needed to reach even the nearest star.
    Indeed, it will be logically impossible to reach every point in the universe if it is expanding faster than the speed of light.
    At the microscopic scale of thing ...[text shortened]... re of discovering new entities or simply observing new instances of already discovered things.
    BUT the essential mystery would be gone yes?
  11. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 08:56
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Depends. For the common man, there will be lifetimes and lifetimes of stuff to study. I enjoy studying science thoroughly despite never having discovered anything new myself.

Some people would get depressed, of course. It also depends on what our knowledge told us about the universe and what our capabilities and limitations are.
    I enjoy studying science thoroughly despite never having discovered anything new myself. THOUSAND

I doubt this very much. You may not have made any discoveries for others but you must have been discovering things for yourself.
  12. CA, USA
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 09:07
    Originally posted by howardgee
    An interesting question.

At the microscopic scale of thing ...[text shortened]... re of discovering new entities or simply observing new instances of already discovered things.
    Doesn't this mean .. you're full of crap when you say "There is no God."?

Doesn't that last paragraph of yours kind of admit that there is a slight chance that you don't know everything? And, it isn't even possible?

Doesn't that mean that there might be a God that you just don't know about?

Again .. doesn't this mean .. you're full of crap when you say "There is no God."?
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 09:15
    QUESTION - Would this be the most glorious day in the history of mankind or the most utterly depressing?
    I'll get back to you in 100000 million years or so when that question has been answered.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 09:441 edit
    I enjoy studying science thoroughly despite never having discovered anything new myself. THOUSAND

I doubt this very much. You may not have made any discoveries for others but you must have been discovering things for yourself.
    Well, yes. In your scenario, however, there is a Press Release - or as you put it, a "media event" which announces this complete knowledge - which means not everyone knows everything. There's a big difference between knowing everything yourself and having humanity know everything. You seemed to imply the latter. Are you asking me if I would be depressed if I was omniscient?
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 11:15
    Unless this was the very last question that we answered, you would think that if "most utterly depressing" is the answer then humanity would have the sense to stop trying to answer every question.
    They might also have already answered the question "how do we make tomorrow more glorious than today?" or "how do we treat depression?"

I personally find it highly unlikely that a single individual could know all the answers to everything. However, if such a thing was possible, I find it highly unlikely that we can accurately predict anything about such a beings state of mind upon reaching certain conclusions.

It is not clear from your question however whether we are talking about glorious from our perspective or glorious from the perspective of the people alive then.

Why do you think that depression is a possibility?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree