Moves
    13 Aug '09 22:40
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    1. jehovah's witness.

2.mormonism

3.evangelical christianity.

4.neo-pagan religions

just to name a few
    I was really looking for the whole list.
  2. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 22:48
    Religions are not truth-apt.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 23:02
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    I was really looking for the whole list.
    Doc, i think a better and more fruitful question could be, what constitutes true religion?
  4. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 23:50
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Doc, i think a better and more fruitful question could be, what constitutes true religion?
    So, what do you think Robbie? What does constitute true religion?
    Is it when you really, really believe it to be right? Is it the religion of your parents and their parents? Because either of these would seem to me to be the basis of most people's belief that their own religion is the right one. They also seem to be reasons that mostly preclude anyone else's from being right, which seems a little problematic.
    But of course, this is only the perspective of one who doesn't believe any of them.
  5. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 23:53
    Originally posted by Bad wolf
    All of them.
    I would agree that all religion is false.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 23:551 edit
    Originally posted by amannion
    So, what do you think Robbie? What does constitute true religion?
    Is it when you really, really believe it to be right? Is it the religion of your parents and their parents? Because either of these would seem to me to be the basis of most people's belief that their own religion is the right one. They also seem to be reasons that mostly preclude anyone else lematic.
    But of course, this is only the perspective of one who doesn't believe any of them.
    i do not have the same religion as my parents, my father is a catholic (non practising), my mother a protestant, i am something quite different. Belief is not enough, it needs substantiation, as far as it is possible to do so. there must be some type of criteria which one could hold up, a kind of spiritual litmus test, to determine whether a religion is true or not. here i find myself wondering how it is possible in real terms, for as you say, every one claims that they are true, therefore how should the seeker of truth, determine which is true and which is not) and it appears to me to be a question of whether or not the religion has any potency to affect the adherents life.
  7. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 23:56
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    I would agree that all religion is false.
    I wouldn't.
  8. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    14 Aug '09 00:12
    Originally posted by daniel58
    I wouldn't.
    Religion is man trying to find God.

God is through Jesus reconciling the world back to himself. Jesus is a person not a religion.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Aug '09 00:17
    Religion is man trying to find God.

God is through Jesus reconciling the world back to himself. Jesus is a person not a religion.
    Actually Christ states that God is trying to find men,

(John 4:19-23) . . .The woman said to him: “Sir, I perceive you are a prophet. Our forefathers worshipped in this mountain; but you people say that in Jerusalem is the place where persons ought to worship.” Jesus said to her: “Believe me, woman, The hour is coming when neither in this mountain nor in Jerusalem will you people worship the Father. you worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, because salvation originates with the Jews.  Nevertheless, the hour is coming, and it is now, when the true worshippers will worship the Father with spirit and truth, for, indeed, the Father is looking for suchlike ones to worship him. . .

it would seem therefore that Christ is here emphasising that there is indeed false and true religion.
  10. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    14 Aug '09 00:30
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    [b]Actually Christ states that God is trying to find men, b]
    I thought that is what I said.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Aug '09 01:25
    I thought that is what I said.
    yes you stated Christ role as one of reconciliation, however the quotation seems to me to reaffirm the idea that there is a true religion, or at very least, a true way of worshipping, which you seemed to deny by the reference about, Christ being a human and not a religion, although admittedly i could have misunderstood that your intent.
  12. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    14 Aug '09 02:07
    It's a trick question, dummies.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Aug '09 08:24
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Even religon could be alright if people understood its proper place. Sadly , given the charge surrounding that word and its implications, I'm going to have to agree with you.
    What is its "proper place" and who decides what that is?
    And how would understanding religions "proper place" make a religion a "true religion" rather than a "false religion"?
  14. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '09 10:31
    Originally posted by daniel58
    Then you must not Believe in God or anything including reality.
    The first is true, the latter is false.
  15. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    14 Aug '09 13:54
    Anything that does this:

http://tinyurl.com/n9ojbv

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree