the flood.

the flood.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jew.

Moves
15 Jun 06

a

Meddling with things

Moves
15 Jun 06

Originally posted by 7ate9
his reply was of more evolved magma, and not the average % of water that comes out a volcanoe.

for earth to get flooded, it seems logical there has to be a high content of water within the earth. volcanoes would seem to be the most logical place to first look.

"when noah was 600 yrs old, on the seventeenth day of the second month all the outlets of the vast body of water BENEATH the earth burst open... "
So while the detailed argument rages over volmes of water, magma and such dare I point out that the quoted age of Noah looks like weak data.

Jew.

Moves
15 Jun 06

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
15 Jun 06

your area is based on what the earth is today, from the lowest ocean floors to the highest mountains. the area you measure isn't what the earth once was.
Please explain to me how exactly the Earth could change to give such a disparate result. Also, give a mechanism for this change to occur in the required time period (thousands of years).

Moves
15 Jun 06

ah yes sorry about the weird smily instead of the % ) I have never seen that one before. the 4~6 % quoted was for HIGH water content magma so for 6.62*10^17 cubic meters of water to be erupted you would need to release 1.103*10^19 cubic meters of magma to be erupted as well. under these circumstances no one would be paying any attention to the water. particularly as this type of magma is the highly viscouse stuff that causes Mt st Hellens style eruptions. if we consider it impossible to miss a worldwid flood due to silt deposits and the like, we are really not going to miss a planet wide, milles deep covering of lava which occured only 4500 yrs ago. When I said it was good to see you quoting sources that was genuine. the reason we are talking about carbon 14 dating (thanks by the way for the correction on carbon dating, yours was a far better post than mine, ~to scottishinnz~) is that it can be and is used for historical dateing and covers the period we are talking about.
as for shells on mountains. there are shells found on the himilayern peaks for example. that is because the himilayers are scrunched up sea bed cought between aisa and india. it does not provide evidence for a world wide flood. especially one which only lasted occured in 40 days. the shells would all be crushed under miles of water.

Jew.

Moves
15 Jun 06

Moves
15 Jun 06

I am saying that the 'wettist' magma contains 4~6 % water. most contains far less. this water is there as the sea bed rocks get permiated with water. they then get subducted into the mantle where the rock is melted and comes back up to the surface in volcanos. the oceans were not created by water from the earths core. the current thinking is that the water came in large part from icy comet impacts on the young earth. but solar system formation is still an active and wide open feild of reasurch as untill recently we only had one to study.

Jew.

Moves
15 Jun 06

Moves
15 Jun 06

yes they prove (in the case of the himalayers) that they were at the bottom of the indain ocean.

Jew.

Moves
15 Jun 06

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
15 Jun 06

yes, now that is amazing. how is this explained through evolution?
What's evolution got to do with anything?

Jew.

Moves
15 Jun 06

Jew.

Moves
15 Jun 06

Cape Town

Moves
15 Jun 06

in a WWflood the shells would have a very similar date. in evolution the shells would be different dates. instant or millions/billions of years?
The Theory of Evolution does not in itself theorise about the age of the earth but rather about how life adapts to its environment both now and in the past. The age of the earth itself and movements of continents etc is another field altogether (geology? History?)

A world wide flood would require such a large cataclysim as to almost cirtainly reshape the continents thus the shells on tops of mountains could still be from a previous ocean bed. They should not indicate evidence for or against a flood. However thier ages combined with studies of what types of shells in what layers is very good evidence for the Theory of evolution.

An interesting side point. It is often assumed that the garden of eden was in the middle east and that noah came from there. I find it highly unlikely that during such a vast flood over such a long period that his boat would remain in the same place on the surface of the earth. So it would be possible that Eden was actually in China or New Zealand.

Of course my opinion is that the absolute lack of evidence for a flood indicates that if it happened then God does not want us to find evidence for it and thus we will not.

Jew.

Moves
15 Jun 06
1 edit