1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Apr '16 13:15
    Originally posted by whodey
    Conversely, I know of a father who had a teenage daughter who obtained an abortion without his consent and died from the procedure.

Meanwhile, the child in question could not obtain so much as an aspirin in school without his notification.

Should the father be able to sue Planned Parenthood?
    It is extremely rare these days to die from an abortion. Are you sure this was at a PP (who generally are not in the business of performing abortions on underaged girls without consent) clinic and not in the parking lot in some guy's van (simply *because* PP doesn't do abortions on underaged girls without consent)?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Apr '16 13:20
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    I do think it is wrong. While I do believe God can and does heal people today, many do not get healed for reasons unknown. I personally think it is unbelief.
    So having said that, I thank God for doctors, otherwise many Christians would be dead.
    I think it foolish to not see a doctor when your prayers are unanswered in a reasonable amount of time.
    "Wrong". "Foolish".

"Sinful" too?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Apr '16 13:22
    Originally posted by FMF
    I don't have any difficulty getting my head round the belief that abortion is "sinful". But what about the actions of the members of Followers of Christ sect? Do you think parents rejecting medical treatment [to the detriment of their children's health] is "sinful"?
    This issue revolves around parent participation and control over their children's health.

Should parents be informed that their child is having an abortion?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Apr '16 13:25
    This issue revolves around parent participation and control over their children's health.

Should parents be informed that their child is having an abortion?
    Yes they should. So, what about the actions of the members of Followers of Christ sect ? "Sinful" or not?
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Apr '16 13:25
    Originally posted by FMF
    "Wrong". "Foolish".

"Sinful" too?
    Yes, sometimes God will tell us to see a doctor.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    15 Apr '16 15:25
    Originally posted by FMF
    The Guardian UK http://tinyurl.com/ha3xukd

[b]The Followers of Christ is a religious sect that preaches faith healing in states such as Idaho, which offers a faith-based shield for felony crimes – despite alarming child mortality rates among these groups

[quote]Mariah Walton’s voice is quiet – her lungs have been wrecked by her illness, and her respira ...[text shortened]... he actions of the parents described in the article at the link above can be considered "sinful"?[/b]
    It is the story of Christianity... taking one part and ignoring the rest.

Christ was very clear that it is important for Christians to live and to get along well with all people of the world for their own well-being. It is possible to live among the worldly happily, and serve God without becoming a part of the evil in the world.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Apr '16 16:33
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes they should. So, what about the actions of the members of Followers of Christ sect ? "Sinful" or not?
    Sinful? Who cares about that? You? Do you believe in a thing called sin?

I'm thinking you mean should it be legal.

I think if you mandate state directed medical care for anyone you open a can of worms. However, any rube can see with this case, at least with the facts provided, the parents should have sought medical care.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Apr '16 16:34
    Yes, sometimes God will tell us to see a doctor.
    I believe that Saint Luke was a doctor
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Apr '16 23:48
    Sinful? Who cares about that? You? Do you believe in a thing called sin?

I'm thinking you mean should it be legal.

I think if you mandate state directed medical care for anyone you open a can of worms. However, any rube can see with this case, at least with the facts provided, the parents should have sought medical care.
    As a Christian, do you think the parental behaviour described at the link in the OP is "sinful" i.e. a transgression of God's will?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 01:49
    I believe that Saint Luke was a doctor
    Yes he was.
    When a person does not have trust/faith/believing, to get healed, they should see a doctor. That is the wise thing to do.
    Much of the time people who do trust or have faith, can have unbelief at the same time.
    An example is seeing or listening to so much of the world, their fears, their ways, that it conflicts with what God is telling us.
    We see someone die of cancer, or some other sickness, or watch so much of it on TV, we know that God can heal, but there is that doubt that creeps in and pulls on our faith in the opposite direction.
    This is what I mean when I say a person can have faith and unbelief at the same time.
    The solution is to "disconnect" from the world and meditate on God's word, his promises and especially fervent prayer.
    This has worked for many people including myself.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 02:34
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    It is extremely rare these days to die from an abortion. Are you sure this was at a PP (who generally are not in the business of performing abortions on underaged girls without consent) clinic and not in the parking lot in some guy's van (simply *because* PP doesn't do abortions on underaged girls without consent)?
    With the advent of the Dr. Gosnell story, it's hard to say what horrors are being carried out against both woman and infants. They simply stopped regulating and investigating abortion clinics because it is a political football.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 02:34
    The solution is to "disconnect" from the world and meditate on God's word, his promises and especially fervent prayer. This has worked for many people including myself.
    Do you think a need or desire to disconnect from the world drew you towards a religion that you felt enabled you to do that, or did subscribing to your religion have the consequence of making you need or desire to disconnect from the world?
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 02:39
    Originally posted by FMF
    As a Christian, do you think the parental behaviour described at the link in the OP is "sinful" i.e. a transgression of God's will?
    I am reminded of a verse in James that says, what good does it do to pray for someone to have what they need and then turn them away empty handed? We should provide works with our faith.

I see medical help much in the same way. We need both works and faith to work through, just like those in poverty needing shelter and food.

They are not far from snake handlers as they almost seem to demand God's protection at a whim. It is akin to Jesus being taken to a mountain as Satan tells him to throw himself down the mountain because God said that he would offer him protection. Jesus simply retorted that God is not to be tempted and refused.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 02:43
    I am reminded of a verse in James that says, what good does it do to pray for someone to have what they need and then turn them away empty handed? We should provide works with our faith.

I see medical help much in the same way. We need both works and faith to work through, just like those in poverty needing shelter and food.

They are not far from snak ...[text shortened]... he would offer him protection. Jesus simply retorted that God is not to be tempted and refused.
    So is it, in your view, "sinful" or not?
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 12:30
    Originally posted by FMF
    Do you think a need or desire to disconnect from the world drew you towards a religion that you felt enabled you to do that, or did subscribing to your religion have the consequence of making you need or desire to disconnect from the world?
    You have it upside down as usual. I didn't subscribe to anything but what the bible teaches.
    Col 3:1-3
    If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. 2 Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.
    NKJV

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree