The Followers of Christ sect, Idaho

The Followers of Christ sect, Idaho

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
16 Apr 16

Originally posted by checkbaiter
You have it upside down as usual. I didn't subscribe to anything but what the bible teaches.
I can't really be said to have it "upside down" can I when I am asking you to say whether the desire to disconnect came before or after you started subscribing to the Bible? I might possibly have got it "upside down" if I had chosen which I thought it was, and had guessed wrongly, but instead I asked you to explain. How can giving you that opportunity be "upside down"?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Apr 16

Originally posted by FMF
I can't really be said to have it "upside down" can I when I am asking you to say whether the desire to disconnect came before or after you started subscribing to the Bible? I might possibly have got it "upside down" if I had chosen which I thought it was, and had guessed wrongly, but instead I asked you to explain. How can giving you that opportunity be "upside down"?
Your wording is suspect to me ...here is your question..

Do you think a need or desire to disconnect from the world drew you towards a religion that you felt enabled you to do that, or did subscribing to your religion have the consequence of making you need or desire to disconnect from the world?

It is not a consequence, it is a command. It is also a choice. I can choose to "think" like the world, that is, sensual, feeling, worldly knowledge...and get no or very little spiritual results..
or I can choose to immerse myself in what God says is true and see the world differently.
To live by what the bible commands, to walk in obedience changes quite a bit. I then have to deny feelings, and walk by his truth.
So to be more precise in answering your question, I would say both.
Before I came to God, life didn't make sense. The average 70 years and a hole in the ground seemed non sensible to me. Perhaps it is just me, but I think many out there felt the same way.
After I came to God, things continued much the same, until I started delving into his word, study, immersing myself in it and most importantly, committing myself to the Lordship of Jesus Christ.
Now my outlook is quite different than when I was an unbeliever, that is if I ever was.
I was taught to believe in God from a very young age.
Now life makes sense and I have a Hope.

F

Moves
16 Apr 16

It is not a consequence, it is a command. It is also a choice.
Well if your outlook is the result of a "command" and also it is a choice you've made based upon it, then it is a consequence of subscribing to the Bible, at least in conventional English. There's nothing "upside down" about my question at all.

F

Moves
16 Apr 16

Before I came to God, life didn't make sense. The average 70 years and a hole in the ground seemed non sensible to me. Perhaps it is just me, but I think many out there felt the same way.
This can probably be said for most people who adhere to most religions. As I have said before, if adopting a religious ideology and beliefs in supernatural beings helps you to make sense of life and cope with death, then I am happy for you. It plays more or less the same role in the lives of Hindus, Muslims and Christians (like you) who live in my neighbourhood here.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Apr 16

Originally posted by FMF
Well if your outlook is the result of a "command" and also it is a choice you've made based upon it, then it is a consequence of subscribing to the Bible, at least in conventional English. There's nothing "upside down" about my question at all.
upside down was probably not the best choice of words.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Apr 16

Originally posted by FMF
This can probably be said for most people who adhere to most religions. As I have said before, if adopting a religious ideology and beliefs in supernatural beings helps you to make sense of life and cope with death, then I am happy for you. It plays more or less the same role in the lives of Hindus, Muslims and Christians (like you) who live in my neighbourhood here.
I'm glad your "happy for me", but personally I doubt it.
What you really think is .... "all these religious fools, why can't they understand as I do?
There is no God, there is no after life...it's all nonsense!, but I will appear to be nice and say, I am happy for you"
Do you think that about sums it up?😉

F

Moves
16 Apr 16
2 edits

I'm glad your "happy for me", but personally I doubt it.
What you really think is .... "all these religious fools, why can't they understand as I do?
There is no God, there is no after life...it's all nonsense!, but I will appear to be nice and say, I am happy for you"
Do you think that about sums it up?😉
What I "really think" is perfectly clear from what I write as I am a capable and forthright writer and I have written a lot. None of it was done in an an effort to "appear to be nice". I have lived my whole life among Christians, many of them happy, and I was happily one myself for many years. When I say I am happy for you, for the reasons I gave, then it means I am happy for you. For you to respond by trying to project dishonesty and misanthropy onto me is clumsy and rather lets you down.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
17 Apr 16

Originally posted by FMF
What I "really think" is perfectly clear from what I write as I am a capable and forthright writer and I have written a lot. None of it was done in an an effort to "appear to be nice". I have lived my whole life among Christians, many of them happy, and I was happily one myself for many years. When I say I am happy for you, for the reasons I gave, then it means ...[text shortened]... pond by trying to project dishonesty and misanthropy onto me is clumsy and rather lets you down.
If I am wrong, apologies and thank you.

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
18 Apr 16

Yes, sometimes God will tell us to see a doctor.
Does your voice ever tell you to see a psychiatrist?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Apr 16

Originally posted by finnegan
Does your voice ever tell you to see a psychiatrist?
No, but it warns me to be careful around mockers like yourself.