The God Delusion

The God Delusion

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 Jan 07

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Humans, and human behaviour, evolved just the same as everything else.
Not the same; one size doesn't fit all.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 Jan 07

Backtracking now?
🙄

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
10 Jan 07

Originally posted by no1marauder
Not the same; one size doesn't fit all.
Why not? Prove this.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 Jan 07
2 edits

Why not? Prove this.
You prove that every single species, and ALL their behavior, evolves in the same manner.

Are you claiming that intelligent social animals evolve behavior in exactly the same manner as an amoeba?

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
10 Jan 07

I have many times in this thread i.e. altruist groups would have a evolutionary advantage over non-altruistic ones. Your response is that altruism is impossible because you say so.
It's not that at all. My response is, it's impossible because neo-Darwinian evolutionary theory does not allow it to evolve.

You still have not explained how altruists would exclude selfish individuals, except by withholding privilege, i.e. reciprocality.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
10 Jan 07
1 edit

You prove that every single species, and ALL their behavior, evolves in the same manner.
Are you saying Evolutionary theory doesn't operate for some species? What are the qualifiers then?

[edit; yes. The mechanism is the same, differential reproduction and their resultant gene frequencies.]

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 Jan 07

It's not that at all. My response is, it's impossible because neo-Darwinian evolutionary theory does not allow it to evolve.

You still have not explained how altruists would exclude selfish individuals, except by withholding privilege, i.e. reciprocality.
Strawman, AGAIN. There's no need to "exclude"; altruistic groups (which would be the most successful) would teach the proper behavior to new members - offspring, etc. Contrary to your mechanistic views, people's behaviors are NOT merely the product of genes.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 Jan 07
1 edit

Are you saying Evolutionary theory doesn't operate for some species? What are the qualifiers then?

[edit; yes. The mechanism is the same, differential reproduction and their resultant gene frequencies.]
No, I'm not. I'm saying that your exclusively gene centered theory is simplistic and wrong. Please start making SOME attempt to actually read what I'm saying without filtering it through your preconceptions and biases.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
10 Jan 07

Strawman, AGAIN. There's no need to "exclude"; altruistic groups (which would be the most successful) would teach the proper behavior to new members - offspring, etc. Contrary to your mechanistic views, people's behaviors are NOT merely the product of genes.
So they'd just tolerate selfish individuals then? Surely, that'd make the group less successful, although the selfish individual would prosper.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
10 Jan 07

No, I'm not. I'm saying that your exclusively gene centered theory is simplistic and wrong. Please start making SOME attempt to actually read what I'm saying without filtering it through your preconceptions and biases.
And yet, you've not given a single shred of tangible evidence.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
10 Jan 07

Got a point?

I'm all for context. You can't tell me that two contradictory exclusive statements are both correct though. For example. I am black. I am white. This IS NOT contextual - I must be one or the other! When talking about context specific words like "recent", "ancient", "near", "far" etc. then they must be defined. For example, a histor ...[text shortened]... about something 500,000,000 years old! That's five orders of magnitude difference!
Anytime someone brings up studying the Bible within context, you pull out the secret decoder ring crap. What a complete laugh-riot for you to fall back on context when wanting someone to consider your side of the argument.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 Jan 07

And yet, you've not given a single shred of tangible evidence.
LMAO!!! Altruistic behavior, even unconditional altruistic behavior, exists and is pervasive in human behavior. You say it can't exist. How that's for evidence???

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 Jan 07
1 edit

So they'd just tolerate selfish individuals then? Surely, that'd make the group less successful, although the selfish individual would prosper.
Have you ever raised a child? Do you know how to encourage them to share and act cooperatively with others? Or is it impossible because we are all "selfish" by nature?

More evidence; in human experience that most of us have engaged in.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
10 Jan 07

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Anytime someone brings up studying the Bible within context, you pull out the secret decoder ring crap. What a complete laugh-riot for you to fall back on context when wanting someone to consider your side of the argument.
[Groan]

Look at these two statements;

EX 15:3, 17:16, NU 25:4, 32:14, IS 42:13 "God is a man of war--he is fierce and angry."
RO 15:33, 2CO 13:11, 14, 1JN 4:8, 16 "God is a god of love and peace."

Both cannot be true, irrespective of context.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
10 Jan 07
2 edits

Have you ever raised a child? Do you know how to encourage them to share and act cooperatively with others? Or is it impossible because we are all "selfish" by nature?

More evidence; in human experience that most of us have engaged in.
Kin selection.

[edit; "sharing", "cooperating". reciprocal altruism, selfish behaviours]
[edit 2; oh, and according to evolutionary theory, being non-selfish, being a good cooperator, may be a good way to increase the frequency of those genes in the population. So, whilst the behaviour seems unselfish, it has evolved to increase the frequency of one gene or set of genes relative to all other in the population.]