1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 02:32
    I would be interested in hearing rebuttals from this forum's theists to the arguments Richard Dawkins presents in his book The God Delusion.
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 02:351 edit
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    I would be interested in hearing rebuttals from this forum's theists to the arguments Richard Dawkins presents in his book The God Delusion.
    I have not read it, but I'm wondering if for the sake of brevity, a quality rarely seen at times, if you could highlight several of his arguments and I will try to offer something.

Could you make it easy for me to understand, say like if Bbarr had been shot in the head and survived.
  3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 02:431 edit
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I have not read it, but I'm wondering if for the sake of brevity, a quality rarely seen at times, if you could highlight several of his arguments and I will try to offer something.
    He makes a wide variety of interesting claims and compelling arguments in support of them. One idea that I found particularly interesting was his claim that indoctrinating children with religious beliefs constitutes child abuse.

He also claims that it is very unlikely that God exists.
  4. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 02:43

Could you make it easy for me to understand, say like if Bbarr had been shot in the head and survived.
    I didn't read too, but it will be interesting to see what is it talking about?
  5. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 02:46
    He makes a wide variety of interesting claims and compelling arguments in support of them. One idea that I found particularly interesting was his claim that indoctrinating children with religious beliefs constitutes child abuse.
    So does he claim that if children are left without any teaching from their parents they will be atheist?
  6. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 02:471 edit
    Originally posted by ahosyney
    I didn't read too, but it will be interesting to see what is it talking about?
    Are blasphemy or apostasy capital crimes in Egypt? If so, you would be well advised to refrain from reading it, lest you be persuaded by any of his arguments.
  7. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 02:51
    Are blasphemy or apostasty capital crimes in Egypt? If so, you would be well advised to refrain from reading it, lest you be persuaded by any of his arguments.
    šŸ™‚

No one try to do blasphemy or apostasty in Egypt , they can do it outside Egypt.

And as I'm not in Egypt now so don't worry about me!!!!

But does converting from atheist to theist a crime in Kazakhstan, may be after talking with me you get persuaded šŸ˜µ
  8. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 02:51
    Thank you. Thank God I went to church today so I can respond to this issue. I visited a pentecostal church today (seriously). The minister was all about saving souls. I went to hear something like Hark the Herald Angels Sing and what do I get but a sermon about saving souls. Anyway, he wanted a show of hands if anyone believed in killing babies or men marrying each other. But at the end of the service I was shocked that young children were coming forward and kneeling and praying at the front of the church. Now several of them had been sitting in front of me during the service and they spent their time coloring and not paying attention to a single thing he said.

So I left this service aware that children are indoctrinated with hatred of those who are different. They are not given permission to disagree. They were also presented with harsh threats (If you don't shut up, I'm gonna come over there and whop you."šŸ˜‰.

I can only say that perhaps Jesus led me to this place today in order than I might be able to validate his sad truth.
  9. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 02:52
    Originally posted by ahosyney
    So does he claim that if children are left without any teaching from their parents they will be atheist?
    No.
  10. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 02:57

I can only say that perhaps Jesus led me to this place today in order than I might be able to validate his sad truth.
    Perhaps Jesus will lead somebody to buy a copy of the book for you as a Christmas gift. After all the mean things Dawkins said about him, it would be the ultimate turning of the other cheek.
  11. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 02:581 edit
    No.
    Good so I agree with him in this point, I mean they will not necessarly be atheist,

indoctrinating children with religious beliefs constitutes child abuse.

If the parents belive in some morals, so is it considered abuse to teach it to their children. I don't think so, it is their duty to do so.

He also claims that it is very unlikely that God exists.

I think this is a very short summery of the Book.

So if that is it , I don't agree.
  12. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 03:02
    Perhaps Jesus will lead somebody to buy a copy of the book for you as a Christmas gift. After all the mean things Dawkins said about him, it would be the ultimate turning of the other cheek.
    Maybe RWillis will buy me copy at Walmart.
  13. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 03:032 edits
    Thank you. Thank God I went to church today so I can respond to this issue. I visited a pentecostal church today (seriously). The minister was all about saving souls. I went to hear something like Hark the Herald Angels Sing and what do I get but a sermon about saving souls. Anyway, he wanted a show of hands if anyone believed in killing babies or me aps Jesus led me to this place today in order than I might be able to validate his sad truth.
    He cites but goes beyond the obvious incidental abuse that goes with religious indoctrination (Muslim girls undergoing clitorectomy, Catholic boys having lifelong guilt complexes fostered within them, Amish teenagers being denied education, Baptists having sore asses from sitting in church all day, etc.) and provides argument and case study evidence that the most abusive aspect is actually teaching children that there are some things that ought to be believed merely because an authority says so and that ought not be questioned, even in the face of any amount of evidence to the contrary. He claims it is a lifelong crippling of the mind, the effects of which are worse than a physical crippling.
  14. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 03:08
    He cites but goes beyond the obvious incidental abuse that goes with religious indoctrination (Muslim girls undergoing clitorectomy, Catholic boys having lifelong guilt complexes fostered within them, Amish teenagers being denied education, Baptists having sore asses from sitting in church all day, etc.) and provides argument and case study evidence ...[text shortened]... t is a lifelong crippling of the mind, the effects of which are worse than a physical crippling.
    I will be going to civilization on Tuesday and will get a copy. I look forward to a fascinating learning experience.
  15. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 03:081 edit
    He cites but goes beyond the obvious incidental abuse that goes with religious indoctrination (Muslim girls undergoing clitorectomy, Catholic boys having lifelong guilt complexes fostered within them, Amish teenagers being denied education, Baptists having sore asses from sitting in church all day, etc.) and provides argument and case study evidence ...[text shortened]... is a life-long crippling of the mind, the effects of which are worse than a physical crippling.
    Muslim girls undergoing clitorectomy

I don't know the other points so I will only comment on what I know.

Clitorectormy is not an Islamic doctrain, it is taken from older cultures
    It differ from country to country depending on the culture.
    and not all muslims follow it today,

So in this very specific case it is culture not religon.

I thought he might talk about other points,

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree