1. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    09 Jul '08 15:23
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    No, the relevant question is: If somebody uses words whose definition is essentially unknown - is there any point in listening?
    Those are excuses from your deep well of handy rationals and reasons why you should not listen to the Bible.

But you need more and more. Do you have enough reasons yet why you should not listen to Jesus?

You need more reasons. Make sure you have armed yourself with plenty of good reasons you should not repent to be forgiven and reconciled to God.

Do you have enough reasons yet? Are you sure you have enough excuses?
  2. Joined
    08 Jan '08
    Moves
    10 Jul '08 11:191 edit
    Originally posted by duecer
    what is the nature of sin, and when does it come from?
    sin is the transgression of the law of God, it came into existance from the fall of man.

perhaps you could give a better explanation but thats about the jist of it in simple terms.
  3. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    10 Jul '08 11:33
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Those are excuses from your deep well of handy rationals and reasons why you should not listen to the Bible.

But you need more and more. Do you have enough reasons yet why you should not listen to Jesus?

You need more reasons. Make sure you have armed yourself with plenty of [b]good
    reasons you should not repent to be forgiven and reconciled to God.

Do you have enough reasons yet? Are you sure you have enough excuses?[/b]

Yes, the same ones that stop you from listening to the Muslim, Hindu, Sikh, buddist, Wicca or Old Norse holly texts.

They are all perfectly rational and reasonable excuses.

--- Penguin.
  4. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    10 Jul '08 16:39
    Originally posted by Penguin
    [b]Those are excuses from your deep well of handy rationals and reasons why you should not listen to the Bible.

Yes, the same ones that stop you from listening to the Muslim, Hindu, Sikh, buddist, Wicca or Old Norse holly texts.

--- Penguin.[/b]
    ...Wicca or Old Norse holly texts.

Wonderful!!! I have to share that with a Wiccan acquaintance..
  5. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    10 Jul '08 18:48
    Originally posted by yabbadoo
    sin is the transgression of the law of God, it came into existance from the fall of man.

perhaps you could give a better explanation but thats about the jist of it in simple terms.
    sin, to paraphrase Paul, is a result of our inhabiting these bodies of flesh. The very nature of carnality sets us on the path to satisfy the desires of the flesh regardless of the damage to ourselves or others.

God created us this way, how could He expect us to act differently?
  6. Joined
    08 Jan '08
    Moves
    10 Jul '08 22:55
    Originally posted by duecer
    sin, to paraphrase Paul, is a result of our inhabiting these bodies of flesh. The very nature of carnality sets us on the path to satisfy the desires of the flesh regardless of the damage to ourselves or others.

God created us this way, how could He expect us to act differently?
    We were not created sinful in the beginning but i agrree we have a sinful nature now from the fall and there is no one rightous as Isaiah states, and God expects and commands all to repent of thier sinfull nature and turn to him through his Son's sacrifice on the cross. Even though we will never have complete victory over sin in this life we are justified by the redemption of the Lord who reconciled us to God and made a way possible that our sins may be forgiven.
  7. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 15:001 edit
    Originally posted by Penguin
    [b]Those are excuses from your deep well of handy rationals and reasons why you should not listen to the Bible.

--- Penguin.[/b]
    I have a Koran in my library which I consult with from time to time and hope to complete someday. I figured that if I wanted a Moslem to know something about the New Testament out of respect I should have some idea about what is in the Quran.

As for Buddhism, I studied Zen Buddhism and read a good book by Allen Watts on Zen.

Wicca has no interest to me at this time.

Hinduism I find interesting for the sole reason that Hinduism alone as a text which too was composed over a considerable period of time. But there are thousands of gods in Hinduism and that part of it does not interest me.

The claims of Christ are unique and in a class by themselves. You don't find Mohammed saying that he would come to his disciples and live within them.

Now ask yourself, how long will magnanimity keep you from making a decision? Why should I sit on the fence for the rest of my days deceived that my all-incompassing "tolerance" will replace taking a stand on very specific claims?

The claims of Christ cause me to want to take a stand one way or another.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 15:01
    Originally posted by Baruch Adonai
    the Good news
    It's FRIDAY!
  9. Joined
    08 Jan '08
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 21:37
    Originally posted by Palynka
    It's FRIDAY!
    hardly of eternal significance but funny none the less 🙂
  10. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    15 Jul '08 22:51
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    No, the relevant question is: If somebody uses words whose definition is essentially unknown - is there any point in listening?
    Lame excuse twhitehead.

We have the most essential things of God's love and purposes in salvation repeated many many times in many many different ways.

Maybe that's why God gve us 66 books to the Bible instead of just one or two sentences with obscure word meanings.

Twenty Seven New Testament books repeat the essential matters of salvation hundreds if not thousands of ways.

You have to deliberately try hard to to hide behind an excuse of the failure to understand obscure word meanings for all those passages.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 20:125 edits
    Originally posted by yabbadoo
    i have tried to do some research as a new Christian on dispensationalisim, is it to do with the Church and Israel ?
    [i]ia! ia! Yahweh! The Lord of the Heavens! ia! Smiting the sinners! ia! Jesus! He of the brass feet and the bladed mouth! ia! BURN THE HERETIC! ia! ia! ia! COME FOR US JESUS! CRUSH THE HERETIC! ia! ia! Drop the atheists in the fiery pit, torture the Muslim! Come on down, Jesus, and make these fools KNEEL! Make them OBEY!

AAAAAAHHHHGGGH

Oh, yeah, it seems we need to have the Jews control Israel before our ritual is complete. God likes their race better than others. Well, time to kick ass in the Middle East...Jesus wants it.

Think we should handle snakes and eat poison too?

Sure! The Bible says it's safe.

Oh...and we must breed. And breed. And breed and breed and breed and breed and breed and breed..

ia! ia! Yahweh! Jesus! The Raging Lord of the Heavens with A Thousand Young!
  12. Standard memberDrimachus
    Christian
    England
    Moves
    20 Jul '08 13:33
    I dont believe the Church has replaced Israel and dont think God has finished with the nation until the prophecy in Luke is fulfilled. I dont really put a label on myself just believe the bible.
    Good for you! The Old Testament makes it perfectly clear (as does Romans in the New) that God isn't finished with Israel.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree