1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    12 Sep '08 07:19
    what I wonder is how much can we debate the significance of the great flood as a metaphor.

we have a deity that said"let there be light" and there was, but had to go through all the bureaucracy of a flood instead of saying "let there be no humans except noah and his clan".

the animals wouldn't have had to perish, the sweet water fish wouldn't have had to be mutated into salt water fish and back again, the kangaroos and the koala's wouldn't have had to be magically shielded from the flood since we know they weren't invited on the ark. And the largely unaesthetic Grand canyon wouldn't have appeared.

God is such a show off is he not? ๐Ÿ˜€
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Sep '08 09:08
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    we have a deity that said"let there be light" and there was,
    Just because it is summarized doesn't mean that we don't know for a fact that achieving that light required the creation of the sun, the moon, nuclear reactions, and I suppose the whole universe - which took billions of years to adjust to the required state. So using a flood for his 'let there be only Noah & co' is hardly dramatic.

In fact, since the photon is an integral part of physics, the simple 'let there be light' must in fact have created the rules of physics.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulรคrer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    12 Sep '08 09:13
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    The Great Flood and the Holocaust

Compare and contrast these two major events.
    I'd rather invert them.

The Flood occurred when mushroom-like clouds of poison gas formed in the heavens to precipitate a deadly rain on the Earth. But Noah, forewarned, had learnt to design, manufacture and assemble a range of gas-masks for his family and two of every kind of animal.

The Holocaust occurred when six million people got stuck in a sealed bathroom and couldn't turn off the taps.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    12 Sep '08 09:30
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Just because it is summarized doesn't mean that we don't know for a fact that achieving that light required the creation of the sun, the moon, nuclear reactions, and I suppose the whole universe - which took billions of years to adjust to the required state. So using a flood for his 'let there be only Noah & co' is hardly dramatic.

In fact, since the p ...[text shortened]... f physics, the simple 'let there be light' must in fact have created the rules of physics.
    ๐Ÿ˜€ he created plants before he created the sun.

there was day and night before being a sun. the act of creation can hardly be described as eras which lasted for several millions of years.

no, it is taken as is, literally. god is so mighty as to only require 7 days to create the stuff. six days, he rested on the 7th.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Sep '08 14:151 edit
    Originally posted by darvlay
    The Flood - God chose to wipe out his "chosen people" and start from scratch using rampant and unabashed incest. God's reason for the genocide? The wickedness in man's heart.

The Holocaust - The Nazi Party chose to wipe out the "chosen people" using a different medium, gas, but was unsuccessful thanks to Russian and American soldiers. Hitler's reason for genocide? Megalomania.
    I thought the Holocaust was because the Jews were being wicked, according to the Nazis.

Megalomania? You don't think God has let his power go to his head?
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Sep '08 14:19
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    ๐Ÿ˜€ he created plants before he created the sun.

there was day and night before being a sun. the act of creation can hardly be described as eras which lasted for several millions of years.

no, it is taken as is, literally. god is so mighty as to only require 7 days to create the stuff. six days, he rested on the 7th.
    And on which day did he create 'days'? ๐Ÿ˜€
    Remember that time is relative, so until a certain percentage of the universe was created, the whole 'day' concept was quite meaningless.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Sep '08 04:45
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Actually New Orleans after Katrina might work. You've got the flood. You've got the anarchy and lawlessness. You've got the bloated bodies floating by. All you need is a big ass boat with animals on it and a drunk Noah. And the tour boats. Let's not forget that.
    Kirksey, you are brilliant.
  8. Playing with matches
    Moves
    14 Sep '08 15:59

Spiritually salubrious vs heinously gruesome.
  9. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    15 Sep '08 14:25

Funnily enough, I touch on this matter in my latest novel (still in the writing, but should be available around Xmas).

It would seem to me that God committed genocide by any definition of the word.
  10. cube# 6484
    Moves
    15 Sep '08 18:50
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Funnily enough, I touch on this matter in my latest novel (still in the writing, but should be available around Xmas).

It would seem to me that God committed genocide by any definition of the word.
    How would you explain the shock value comment "god committed genocide"?

....your latest novel.....lol
  11. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 11:13
    Originally posted by NimzovichLarsen
    How would you explain the shock value comment "god committed genocide"?

....your latest novel.....lol
    The value is only shockable if one hasn't fully appreciated God's behaviour during the great flood. Think of the hundreds of thousands of people God killed. Many of them children who couldn't be held responsible for anything...

You've never read any of my stories?
    Shame on you!
  12. cube# 6484
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 13:19
    The value is only shockable if one hasn't fully appreciated God's behaviour during the great flood. Think of the hundreds of thousands of people God killed. Many of them children who couldn't be held responsible for anything...

Shame on you!
    ok, so you agree there is a God, and there is after life, etc... just checking.

Also, speaking of said kids, did God kill just one group of people or everyone? You spoke of genocide, but wasn't it a bit more indiscriminate than that?
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 13:22

Shame on you!
    You ain't seen noth'in yet man. Have you ever read Revelation?
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 14:44
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And on which day did he create 'days'? ๐Ÿ˜€
    Remember that time is relative, so until a certain percentage of the universe was created, the whole 'day' concept was quite meaningless.
    when he said let there be light and separated day from night. the first day hehe.

the biblical day cannot be perceived as an era as some people say. i think that is what you were trying to say by "Remember that time is relative, so until a certain percentage of the universe was created, the whole 'day' concept was quite meaningless".god in his infinite wisdom created plants before the sun. there was light before the sun and "days". this story is full of inconsistencies and only by ignoring a lot of proven issues can you consider it true.
  15. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    19 Sep '08 07:26
    Originally posted by NimzovichLarsen
    ok, so you agree there is a God, and there is after life, etc... just checking.

Also, speaking of said kids, did God kill just one group of people or everyone? You spoke of genocide, but wasn't it a bit more indiscriminate than that?
    Of course I believe in God's and fairies and Santa bloody Claus.

I don't see any reason why genocide has to be group specific.
    God, if you believe the story, makes Adolph Hitler look like an under achiever.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree