The Great Flood

The Great Flood

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z

Moves
28 Jan 09

found this. all heathens bow before the faith of this saved christian:

If the Bible had said that Jonah swallowed the whale, I would believe it.
William Jennings Bryan

F

Moves
28 Jan 09
2 edits

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Why should we believe him? He obviously took it all too literally. Don't forget the temporal elasticity defence.
The christians should. He was a man of god, wasn't he? If he was inspired of god, then he must have been right, right? Or if he wasn't right, then why didn't god correct him? Well, many christians base their creationism beliefs on his 'scientific calculations'.

Cape Town

Moves
28 Jan 09

All I want is a rational explanation for the near universality of the flood myth.
The near universality of floods.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
28 Jan 09

Well, one good myth deserves another. But anyhow let's assume that we all stem from a small group of people, possibly one clan.
My point was that Mitochondrial Eve could(must?) have lived among many other humans of which there are no live descendants.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
28 Jan 09

Originally posted by twhitehead
Sure, but why not droughts or fires?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
28 Jan 09

Originally posted by FabianFnas
The christiana should. He was a man of god, wasn't he? If he was inspired of god, then he must have been right, right? Or if he wasn't right, then why didn't god correct him? Well, many christians base their creationism beliefs on his 'scientific calculations'.
And Fabian, unable to answer Bosse, retreats into his comfort zone...again.

Cape Town

Moves
28 Jan 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Palynka
Sure, but why not droughts or fires?
I am sure there are myths about them too - though fires are not nearly as harmful as floods in most places. I don't think fires became catastrophic until cities were built.
The punishments God gave Egypt did not include fire.

Droughts are not catastrophic but rather slow killers and so generate different kinds of stories - especially those concerning the ability to foresee a specific drought or simply the wisdom of preparing for such an eventuality.

I think you would find myths about earthquakes and volcanoes in areas where those are common - but again both were less harmful in the past before cities grew up.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
28 Jan 09

Droughts are not catastrophic but rather slow killers and so generate different kinds of stories - especially those concerning the ability to foresee a specific drought or simply the wisdom of preparing for such an eventuality.
I would think that mirrors quite well the near eastern flood myth. A certain individual/group is prepared and the rest die. The individual/group sees itself as chosen...and a myth could begin. The 'warning' could be either a product of bicamerality or posterior embellishment.

I don't know, but it does seem intriguing how common flood myths are. I usually use the same explanation that you provided, but it still "seems" a bit short.

w

Moves
28 Jan 09

Originally posted by rwingett
Quibbling about the exact number of people drowned is the weakest possible defense imaginable. Does it really make a difference if it was "only" three to five million people? If Hitler had exterminated only 2 million people during the Nazi Holocaust, instead of 6 million, do you think it would lessen the magnitude of the crime? Would he rate only one-third of the condemnation?
It reminds me of Abrahams plea to God to save the people of Sodom and Ghommora. If I recall, God said that if only one "righteous" person could be found amongst them he would spare them.

w

Moves
28 Jan 09

Originally posted by rwingett
We are living just as God designed us. If God wanted different behavior, then he should have designed us differently. When he examined his finished blueprint for the first man, he knew in advance the very second when he would drown the resulting populace. He went ahead anyway, knowing that his design would displease him and that he would have to start over ...[text shortened]... ghtly condemn him. You god is in the same boat with Hitler and deserves the same condemnation.
Tell you what, we will get you a robe and gavel so you can sit in judgment over the Almighty in style!! 😛

Cape Town

Moves
28 Jan 09

I would think that mirrors quite well the near eastern flood myth. A certain individual/group is prepared and the rest die. The individual/group sees itself as chosen...and a myth could begin. The 'warning' could be either a product of bicamerality or posterior embellishment.

I don't know, but it does seem intriguing how common flood myths are. I usually use the same explanation that you provided, but it still "seems" a bit short.
I haven't done much research on the subject. Are flood myths really that much more common than other myths? I know of no flood myths in Zambia - even though we have one tribe that lives on a flood plain and moves seasonally.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
28 Jan 09
1 edit

Floods are common but that doesn't explain why flood myths commonly share motifs such as divine wrath and total extinction except for chosen survivor(s) who go on to found a dynasty.

Zambia:

"The Malozi live in West Zambia in deep Central Africa. Annually they observe a religious spectacle of renewal and ritual when around the end of February, the Zambesi River floods and turns their farm lands into a mighty lake. A ceremonial procession of many small boats and canoes with the Chief’s royal barge using drums and xylophones, call their people to follow them to the safety of higher ground. This is known as Kuomboka. Their legends tell that before the time of their first Chief, there came a great flood known as “The Waters that Swallowed Everything”. In this deluge, all the animals died, and every farm was swept away. Their high god Nyambe ordered a man named Nakambela to build the first great canoe “Nalikwanda” (which means “for the people&rdquo😉. Before voyaging out on the stormy waters, the great canoe was loaded with every type of seed, and animal dung. At the place where this great canoe came to rest, the seeds were scattered to become the progenitors of the plants as we know them today and the animals once again sprang forth from the animal dung."

http://www.theosophydownunder.org/library/theosophical-lectures/[WORD TOO LONG]/

The article has other examples. It also suggests that the flood simply represents chaos; as plausible as any answer I've yet been given.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
28 Jan 09

Floods are common but that doesn't explain why flood myths commonly share motifs such as divine wrath and total extinction except for chosen survivor(s) who go on to found a dynasty.

Zambia:

"The Malozi live in West Zambia in deep Central Africa. Annually they observe a religious spectacle of renewal and ritual when around the end of February, t ...[text shortened]... ests that the flood simply represents chaos; as plausible as any answer I've yet been given.
I'm less sure about how ubiquitous is the dynasty founding part.

Some theories mention the end of the ice age, where oceans were about 100 m lower than today. The problem is that this was a VERY slow increase. Nevertheless, oral tradition may have changed "god will drown us all" to "god has drowned most of of us". The most rapid episode was this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meltwater_pulse_1A

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
28 Jan 09

I'm less sure about how ubiquitous is the dynasty founding part.

Some theories mention the end of the ice age, where oceans were about 100 m lower than today. The problem is that this was a VERY slow increase. Nevertheless, oral tradition may have changed "god will drown us all" to "god has drowned most of of us". The most rapid episode was this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meltwater_pulse_1A
It's not ubiquitous, but it's repeated in places. However an exhaustive study of flood motifs is something I'll leave to the experts. I suppose an important question is whether the various myths arose independently or were diffused, acquiring local characteristics in the process.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
28 Jan 09

It's not ubiquitous, but it's repeated in places. However an exhaustive study of flood motifs is something I'll leave to the experts. I suppose an important question is whether the various myths arose independently or were diffused, acquiring local characteristics in the process.
I understand. I'm trying to poke holes in the mitochondrial connection because I don't find it very plausible. I guess that a requirement for such a connection is the existence of a proto-language.