1. Joined
    06 Jul '12
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 20:21
    The Great Race Delivered By: Lloyd D. Newell
    No one who was there for field day at Worthington, Ohio’s, Colonial Hills Elementary School will ever forget the great race. It wasn’t about who placed first or second; it was about grit, determination, support, and sensitivity. Among the eager fifth- and sixth-graders who lined up for the 400-meter event was Matt, who suffers from spastic cerebral palsy, a debilitating condition that limits his mobility and physical exertion. But Matt had determined he would run that race.

By the time he was halfway around the course, his classmates were passing him on their second and final lap. His physical education teacher joined Matt on the field to encourage him as he struggled on. He had bursts of energy and moments of near collapse. But Matt kept going with the determination of a champion. His mother cried with joy at his courage and resolve as his classmates began to cheer, "Let’s go, Matt! Let’s go!”i

He did. And as he crossed the finish line, every hand flew to the air signaling victory. Matt’s finish would stand in memory as the greatest race that day.

We can learn a lot from Matt and those who gathered around him.
    We can learn about facing our challenges and pushing on, living our dreams and having the courage to try and keep trying. We can learn about kindness and support from those who run with us, no matter the pace of life.

We are better people when we are there for others—lifting them, helping them, and sharing with them the sweetness of their dreams and their personal victories. And while it’s true that those for whom you cheer will be blessed by your support, it’s equally true that your caring relationship with them will be a blessing to you as well.
    🙂
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 21:20
    Old story but worth watching again.
    http://www.mostwatchedtoday.com/tag/matt-w-400-meter-race/
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 21:41
    I don't see what any of this has to do with the Great Race. “They seemed to be enormous, iridescent cones, about ten feet high and ten feet wide at the base, and made up of some ridgy, scaly, semi-elastic matter. From their apexes projected four flexible, cylindrical members, each a foot thick, and of a ridgy substance like that of the cones themselves. These members were sometimes contracted almost to nothing, and sometimes extended to any distance up to about ten feet. Terminating two of them were enormous claws or nippers. At the end of a third were four red, trumpet-like appendages. The fourth terminated in an irregular yellowish globe some two feet in diameter and having three great dark eyes ranged along its central circumference. Surmounting this head were four slender grey stalks bearing flower-like appendages, whilst from its nether side dangled eight greenish antennae or tentacles. The great base of the central cone was fringed with a rubbery, grey substance which moved the whole entity through expansion and contraction.”
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 23:311 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I don't see what any of this has to do with the Great Race.
    As answered in the affirmative by the New Zealander with a lisp.
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 00:49
    And here I thought this thread was going to be about Aryan supremacy. 😉
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 01:26
    Originally posted by Lloyd E Adkins
    The Great Race Delivered By: Lloyd D. Newell
    No one who was there for field day at Worthington, Ohio’s, Colonial Hills Elementary School will ever forget the great race. It wasn’t about who placed first or second; it was about grit, determination, support, and sensitivity. Among the eager fifth- and sixth-graders who lined up for the 400-meter event ...[text shortened]... ’s equally true that your caring relationship with them will be a blessing to you as well.
    🙂
    Thank you for this.
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree