1. Joined
    26 Jan '07
    Moves
    2915
    14 Nov '07 05:54
    I don't mean in terms of being a great person necessarily. It can be measured in terms of their contribution to academia, medicine, business, music, film, chess, or whatever their field was or whatever they did in life.

    In terms of academia Einstein, Karl Marx, Sigmund Freud come to mind.

    I don't know who my number one is, but I back Kasparov hard!

    If you don't like Jews then don't post, unless you can concede that some were great and you don't post something hateful!
  2. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    14 Nov '07 06:31
    If you are talking about total contribution positive or negative then Jesus would win. If you are talking about mostly positive then I would pick Einstein. Although Jesus' intentions where probably good, the results had far reaching negative effects.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    83887
    14 Nov '07 07:07
    Bar Kokba...the Ba'al Shem Tov...Woody Allen...
  4. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y8wgt7a5
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    14 Nov '07 07:18
    Walter.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    3061
    14 Nov '07 07:23
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Walter.
    Sobchak?
  6. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y8wgt7a5
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    14 Nov '07 07:39
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    Sobchak?
    🙂
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    3061
    14 Nov '07 08:43
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    🙂
    Classic.

    Shomer f-ing Shabbos!
  8. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    655
    14 Nov '07 11:48
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    🙂
    Shut the [bruck] up, you're out of your element.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    14 Nov '07 14:17
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    If you are talking about total contribution positive or negative then Jesus would win. If you are talking about mostly positive then I would pick Einstein. Although Jesus' intentions where probably good, the results had far reaching negative effects.
    So tell us, how was the world a better place before Jesus came?
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    45179
    14 Nov '07 14:44
    The Weinstein Brothers.
  11. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39559
    14 Nov '07 14:46
    Groucho.
  12. Hmmm . . .
    Joined
    19 Jan '04
    Moves
    22131
    14 Nov '07 18:27
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Bar Kokba...the Ba'al Shem Tov...Woody Allen...
    The Ba’al Shem! I love it! In that vein, we might as well add Moshe de Leon.

    Moshe ben Maimon (Maimonides) and Baruch Spinoza, in the philosophical realm; also Derrida and Levinas. Wittgenstein, too, although he was raised as a Christian, baptized an buried as a Catholic (his parents were converts).

    In what one might call mystical religious philosophy, Abraham Joshua Heschel is a giant; I rank him with, and perhaps a bit ahead of, Buber.
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    83887
    14 Nov '07 21:03
    Originally posted by vistesd
    The Ba’al Shem! I love it! In that vein, we might as well add Moshe de Leon.

    Moshe ben Maimon (Maimonides) and Baruch Spinoza, in the philosophical realm; also Derrida and Levinas. Wittgenstein, too, although he was raised as a Christian, baptized an buried as a Catholic (his parents were converts).

    In what one might call mystical religious philosophy, Abraham Joshua Heschel is a giant; I rank him with, and perhaps a bit ahead of, Buber.
    That Moshe de Leon, he sounds like quite a character.

    The mediaeval ghetto; what a place.

    Heschel -- intriguing, but a lot of reading...

    Isaiah Berlin wrote a fascinating account of the irrationalist Hamann.
  14. Joined
    26 Jan '07
    Moves
    2915
    15 Nov '07 21:48
    Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
    Shut the [bruck] up, you're out of your element.
    Personally, I think Walter should turn in his library card and stop being Jewish!
  15. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Joined
    09 Sep '01
    Moves
    26187
    16 Nov '07 02:39
    Originally posted by The Dude 84
    I don't mean in terms of being a great person necessarily. It can be measured in terms of their contribution to academia, medicine, business, music, film, chess, or whatever their field was or whatever they did in life.

    In terms of academia Einstein, Karl Marx, Sigmund Freud come to mind.

    I don't know who my number one is, but I back Kasparov hard! ...[text shortened]... n't post, unless you can concede that some were great and you don't post something hateful!
    Sandy Koufax or Hank Greenberg?
Back to Top