The highest place on the values hierarchy

The highest place on the values hierarchy

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
09 May 23

Proposition: The highest place on the hierarchy of values is, by definition, what theists refer to as "God".

Even if this "God" is, instead, the "ultimate fictional character", as atheists might have it, this highest place on the hierarchy of values nevertheless exists.

Its existence gives we humans a commonality that is imprinted on our consciousness [disputes over the values-related nitty gritty, notwithstanding].

Thoughts?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
09 May 23

@fmf said
Proposition: The highest place on the hierarchy of values is, by definition, what theists refer to as "God".

Even if this "God" is, instead, the "ultimate fictional character", as atheists might have it, this highest place on the hierarchy of values nevertheless exists.

Its existence gives we humans a commonality that is imprinted on our consciousness [disputes over the values-related nitty gritty, notwithstanding].

Thoughts?
So far so good.

Even though the contradiction in conceptualizations exists in your second and third assertions.

I question the validity of a "hierarchy of values" based on the presumption of the existence, or non-existence, of the creator of moral values.

And while you may point to another cause for the "commonality" of values, it would have no greater validity than any other fiction one may think exists.

But it's true. There does in fact exist a hierarchy of values imprinted on our consciousness.

So now what?

F

Moves
09 May 23

@josephw said
So now what?
There is no onus on you to say any more.

F

Moves
09 May 23

@josephw said
But it's true. There does in fact exist a hierarchy of values imprinted on our consciousness.
Yes, I think this is evident regardless of the lack of consensus about how this came about.

F

Moves
09 May 23

@josephw said
And while you may point to another cause for the "commonality" of values, it would have no greater validity than any other fiction one may think exists.
I would suggest that the validity of a hierarchy of values is rooted in its efficacy.

F

Moves
09 May 23

@josephw said
Even though the contradiction in conceptualizations exists in your second and third assertions.
If you believe there is a "contradiction", then that's fine by me.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
09 May 23

@FMF

End of discussion.

F

Moves
09 May 23

@josephw said
@FMF

End of discussion.