S/He can bring it on
    through U
  2. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    08 Jan '09 08:18
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I know, Aristophanes saw him after he died.
    Aristophanes killed Socrates
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Jan '09 12:04
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Aristophanes killed Socrates
    At the bidding of the stern goddess Diamat.
  4. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    08 Jan '09 12:32
    At the bidding of the stern goddess Diamat.
    I am not sure; it seems to me that it was a kill like the nowdays ones commited from the media
    The damn comedian twisted so much Socrates's beliefs that the ignorant Athenians became eager to devour the philosopher
    and they finally did it
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Jan '09 12:34
    I am not sure; it seems to me that it was a kill like the nowdays ones commited from the media
    The damn comedian twisted so much Socrates's beliefs that the ignorant Athenians became eager to devour the philosopher
    and they finally did it
    Please say a bit more about 'devouring the philosopher'.
  6. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    08 Jan '09 12:46
    Please say a bit more about 'devouring the philosopher'.
    Socrates was a superb philosopher warrior and a good stone sculpture
    amongst many incidences, singlehanded he saved Alkiviades at the expedition of Potidaea
    he was quite famous for his well known abilities
    but he was also very humble although quite fearless
    therefore he was teasing the rich and the ignorant all the time and everywhere
    and since the youth were amazed with his philosophical and war skills
    the rulers of the city were driving loco with his accurate criticism
    Aristophanes started pushing it too far through his famous comedies (ie Nephelae), producing a false facet of Socrates
    and step by step the mob of the city started to believe that the philosopher was insulting the Gods and a non-believer

the rest is history
  7. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    08 Jan '09 12:48
    Socrates was a superb philosopher warrior and a good stone sculpture
    amongst many incidences, singlehanded he saved Alkiviades at the expedition of Potidaea
    he was quite famous for his well known abilities
    but he was also very humble although quite fearless
    therefore he was teasing the rich and the ignorant all the time and everywhere
    and since the ...[text shortened]... to believe that the philosopher was insulting the Gods and a non-believer

the rest is history
    ...and a good stone sculptor, please excuse me
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Jan '09 16:30
    Yes, there's no incontrovertible historical evidence of Jesus' existence. Same goes for Socrates. It's just one of those things.
    Don't be ridiculous.

When it come to historical evidence you can't find more evidence for the existence of any other historical figue than that of Jesus.

Why don't you be honest about it?
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    08 Jan '09 16:47
    Originally posted by josephw
    When it come to historical evidence you can't find more evidence for the existence of any other historical figue than that of Jesus.
    Are you joking?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jan '09 16:551 edit
    you can't find more evidence for the existence of any other historical figue than that of Jesus.
    Historical figures: Prince Klemens Wenzel von Metternich? Leo McKern? George Best?

Come on!

Is your "evidence" in the Holy Bible by any chance?
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Jan '09 17:41
    Don't be ridiculous.

Why don't you be honest about it?
    It's just a question of method.

I'm not sure what it is you insist I be honest about.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Jan '09 18:371 edit
    Because they want to know if they really existed. It's good not to accept things at face value, you know. Mana figures always generate stories subject to embellishment. Buddha's another case in point. Imagine taking all the stories literally! Ultimately you have to weigh up the evidence for yourself.
    I suppose it depends upon the source from which you pull such data. For example, all this talk reminds me of historians who once questionted the existence of king David in the Bible. However, over a period of years some archaeological digs uncovered evidence that he, in fact, did exist. In fact, historians had no record of the Philistines ever having existed, yet it was there in the Bible. However, recently, digs uncovered that these people acutally existed. I guess what I'm saying is, the Bible has shown itself time and time again to be a credible source of information in regards to people actually existing. It is about real people during real historical times. Therefore, it is up to you as to whether you view it as a cedible source of information.

As for Buddha, I am not that familiar with the stories he told, however, if these stories had been corraborated like those of the Bible then they should be taken seriously.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Jan '09 18:402 edits
    Maybe you mean that many of Jesus' quotes sound strangely like those of Socrates?
    So which came first, the chicken or the egg, eh? It is a far different assertion, however, to say that neither the chicken nor the egg exist!! In fact, someone had to come up with these sayings so why not give credit to those who have been given credit for saying them?

I suppose you are free to question anything, but to say that someone did not exist or that someone did not say something I would assume that you would first have evidence to the contrary. Call me crazy. 🙄
  14. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    08 Jan '09 18:48
    Originally posted by whodey
    So which came first, the chicken or the egg, eh? It is a far different assertion, however, to say that neither the chicken nor the egg exist!! In fact, someone had to come up with these sayings so why not give credit to those who have been given credit for saying them?

I suppose you are free to question anything, but to say that someone did not exist or ...[text shortened]... something I would assume that you would first have evidence to the contrary. Call me crazy. 🙄
    I call you wise and I call myself ignorant;

Therefore my friend you could try to answer to my exact question😵
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Jan '09 18:58
    Originally posted by whodey
    As for Buddha, I am not that familiar with the stories he told, however, if these stories had been corraborated like those of the Bible then they should be taken seriously.
    It's not the stories he told that are questionable so much as the stories told about him. In both cases.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree