The idea that Christianity is a myth

The idea that Christianity is a myth

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
23 Feb 23

@moonbus said
In answer to your previous post, yes, I think humour and satire definitely have a place in calling out dogma and stupidity. Je suis Charlie Hebdo.
The people who carry out Charlie Hebdo-esque posturing are effectively enemies of those struggling for basic rights in the real lives of real people in Muslim societies who are undermined by the performative antics of Western ideological willy-wavers. To think that people were murdered piles atrocity and tragedy upon folly and vanity.

F

Moves
23 Feb 23

@moonbus said
Je suis Charlie Hebdo.
As good an example of virtue signalling as one could hope for. The fact it's in French makes it all the more fabulous.

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
23 Feb 23

@fmf said
Is it justifiable to assert that it is offensive to Christians for someone to express the belief that Christianity is a myth?
Why would anyone be offended by someone else's belief?
It's actions and attitudes that offend.

You can believe Christianity is a myth and I can believe Christianity isn't a myth. we're not offending each other.
But if you ridicule me for my belief that Christianity isn't a myth, or I ridicule you for believing it is, then we might offend each other.

F

Moves
23 Feb 23

@yo-its-me said

You can believe Christianity is a myth and I can believe Christianity isn't a myth. we're not offending each other.
But if you ridicule me for my belief that Christianity isn't a myth, or I ridicule you for believing it is, then we might offend each other.
I agree. I reckon, in most cases where a believer says they are personally offended by someone's disbelief, it is performative.

Über-Nerd

Moves
23 Feb 23

@fmf said
And what does that have to do with me or any of my ideas?
It's an example that people are willing to try to kill people for the sake of their myths, because they feel offended.

Über-Nerd

Moves
23 Feb 23

@yo-its-me said

Oh, you'd be amazed at what some people get offended at. Some people are offended that there are homosexuals in the world, even if they stay in the closet and never have sex with anyone.

F

Moves
23 Feb 23

@moonbus said
It's an example that people are willing to try to kill people for the sake of their myths, because they feel offended.
And why do you think I need that example?

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
23 Feb 23

@moonbus said
Oh, you'd be amazed at what some people get offended at. Some people are offended that there are homosexuals in the world, even if they stay in the closet and never have sex with anyone.
That's ridiculous.
That doesn't sound true to me.
Maybe some closed minded people are confused by people who are different 🤔
Do you mean it offends their sensibilities?
Like they're so fragile they can't comprehend the world around them? Can there be people so delicate? I don't know. Like I say, it doesn't sound true. To me.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
23 Feb 23

@yo-its-me said
Aren’t attitudes based on beliefs?

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
23 Feb 23

@divegeester said
Aren’t attitudes based on beliefs?
Not all beliefs lead to attitudes. Or to offensive attitudes.
A fundamental belief is more likely to I'd say though, so I think you have a point there, potentially.
But it's still the attitude itself ghat would be offensive. We're all in control of what attitude we adopt, but beliefs I'm not sure we're completely in control of them. I'd have to think on that.
What do you think:
Are you in control of everything that you believe?
Are you in control of every attitude you have?

F

Moves
24 Feb 23

@moonbus said
It is not just a matter of freedom of speech, but freedom to think and question dogma. If people had not dared to question dogma, we'd still be stuck pre-Galileo, believing the Earth is immovable with the rest of the universe revolving around us. The edict against Galileo forbade him even to entertain the thesis hypothetically that the Earth moves, which is thought control.
How did Charlie Hebdo promote the "freedom to think and question dogma" in the Muslim world?

F

Moves
24 Feb 23

@moonbus said
In answer to your previous post, yes, I think humour and satire definitely have a place in calling out dogma and stupidity. Je suis Charlie Hebdo.
You say Hebdo-type "humour and satire definitely have a place in calling out dogma and stupidity". Calling the stupidity out in whose minds?