1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 16:13
    A while back now, on a whim, i did some planting in my back garden. My intention from the outset though was for it to be self sufficient and i didn't want to be out there every Sunday dead heading or cutting grass. It was more a case of creating something lovely, standing back and then admiring my work, before letting the plants get on with the job of growing and the seeds with germinating. Sure, every now and again when the gumption took me, i would pop out there and do a bit of emergency weeding, but for the most part i didn't intervene with the growing process and of course didn't expect the plants to become reliant on me, or heaven forbid, evolve to worship me. I like flowers, don't get me wrong, but i have no real desire to look after the welfare of every rose of tulip growing out there. They have a life and a natural death, and i'm fine with that.

If God exists, i suspect he has the same relationship with us that i have with my hydrangeas. He created life, and then let us get on with it.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 16:201 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    A while back now, on a whim, i did some planting in my back garden. My intention from the outset though was for it to be self sufficient and i didn't want to be out there every Sunday dead heading or cutting grass. It was more a case of creating something lovely, standing back and then admiring my work, before letting the plants get on with the job ...[text shortened]... ionship with us that i have with my hydrangeas. He created life, and then let us get on with it.
    So let's not get upset when he digs over a flowerbed, re-turfs the lawn or completely landscapes the entire project.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 16:42
    A while back now, on a whim, i did some planting in my back garden. My intention from the outset though was for it to be self sufficient and i didn't want to be out there every Sunday dead heading or cutting grass. It was more a case of creating something lovely, standing back and then admiring my work, before letting the plants get on with the job ...[text shortened]... ionship with us that i have with my hydrangeas. He created life, and then let us get on with it.
    alas what happens to a garden if one simply does nothing to it?
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 16:50
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Methinks you get weeds and thorns? After all, isn't the ground cursed as well?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 17:09
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Methinks you get weeds and thorns? After all, isn't the ground cursed as well?
    exactly, if one plants nothing, you get weeds.
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 17:381 edit
    In my local park there is one section that has been allowed to grow wild, while the rest is regularly attended to. This wild section is the most beautiful part of the park. It makes its own rules and is abundant with exciting variety. Yes, this includes weeds, which are really quite beautiful in their own way.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 18:271 edit
    In my local park there is one section that has been allowed to grow wild, while the rest is regularly attended to. This wild section is the most beautiful part of the park. It makes its own rules and is abundant with exciting variety. Yes, this includes weeds, which are really quite beautiful in their own way.
    clearly its the atheist patch. 😛
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 18:42
    If God exists, i suspect he has the same relationship with us that i have with my hydrangeas. He created life, and then let us get on with it.
    And do you suspect this purely because it sounds kind of zen, or because you have actual logical reasons to think it?
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 18:42
    Originally posted by divegeester
    So let's not get upset when he digs over a flowerbed, re-turfs the lawn or completely landscapes the entire project.
    Why should we not get upset? Your logic eludes me.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 18:43
    It depends how much rain you have in your area.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 18:45
    Yes, this includes weeds, which are really quite beautiful in their own way.
    If the area was deliberately allowed to run wild, then they aren't weeds. A weed is a plant you do not want, not a particular species.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 18:53
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It depends how much rain you have in your area.
    we have plenty of luscious soft water cascading down from the hills where i live, carron valley, 1000 feet above sea level.
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 18:58
    Just out of curiosity, are there any forbidden fruits in your garden?
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 19:21
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Just out of curiosity, are there any forbidden fruits in your garden?
    No, but i did once bury some rather expensive Parmesan cheese. (Tip of the hat to Samuel Pepys).

Send me a cheque sir for 12 hundred pounds and i'll forward you a slice.
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 20:00
    I'm reminded of the old joke:
    A vicar on seeing a pensioner's beautiful flowering garden remarks
    "It's amazing what Man and God can do together"
    The Old-timer replies:
    "Aye ... but you should have seen the state of it when God had it to himself!"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree