1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Oct '11 00:36
    Originally posted by Dasa
    Intellectualism is that ism that attempts to disguise error falsity and ignorance in so many words.

Persons are very proud of their Phd,s - and the more they have the more worthwhile they feel.

What is the use of intellectualism - if at the end of the day persons with Phd,s do not know who and what they are.

They believe they are the body and the body ...[text shortened]... of chemicals happy.

This is where intellectualism has come so far with its intellectualizing.
    Unless said Phd is in the Vedas.
  2. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Oct '11 03:42
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Unless said Phd is in the Vedas.
    There are parts of the Veda that are very intellectual - but that intellectualism is not used to deceive.

The greatest offenders of intellectualism are the neo Buddhists.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Oct '11 05:19
    There are parts of the Veda that are very intellectual - but that intellectualism is not used to deceive.

The greatest offenders of intellectualism are the neo Buddhists.
    " neo Buddhists" ? You're kidding, right? (Maybe we are thinking of different people here, but I dont know hardly any people I would calss as "neo Buddhist", even loosely.)
  4. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    03 Oct '11 09:22
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    " neo Buddhists" ? You're kidding, right? (Maybe we are thinking of different people here, but I dont know hardly any people I would calss as "neo Buddhist", even loosely.)
    Neo-Buddhists are converts to Buddhism from Hinduism after Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar, a great leader and the person mainly responsible for drafting the Indian Constitution, converted to Buddhism from Hinduism in the 1950s.
  5. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    03 Oct '11 09:42
    Originally posted by FMF
    What debate?
    Let me do the questioning, for a change, please. If, as I believe, this forum is for debating spiritual matters, debates rather than acidic comments on personalities of the posters, should be the immediate concern. That being so, why is it that you, always occupying a high moral ground, are posting on personal foibles of a poster, rather than engage in a debate with other posters ?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Oct '11 09:48
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    Let me do the questioning, for a change, please. If, as I believe, this forum is for debating spiritual matters, debates rather than acidic comments on personalities of the posters, should be the immediate concern. That being so, why is it that you, always occupying a high moral ground, are posting on personal foibles of a poster, rather than engage in a debate with other posters ?
    What "debate" are you talking about? Do you feel you are in a competition of some kind?
  7. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    03 Oct '11 10:50
    Originally posted by FMF
    What "debate" are you talking about? Do you feel you are in a competition of some kind?
    Debate as a means of understanding each other's positions, as a means of exchanging information.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Oct '11 12:191 edit
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    Debate as a means of understanding each other's positions, as a means of exchanging information.
    Not being a religionist, I don't seek to change your belief system, rvsakhadeo, so what need do you have of understanding mine? I simply object to religionists questioning the intellect or the imagination or the curiosity or the integrity or even the sanity of non-religionists, ad nauseam.
  9. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    03 Oct '11 12:29
    Originally posted by FMF
    Not being a religionist, I don't seek to change your belief system, rvsakhadeo, so what need do have of understanding mine? I simply object to religionists questioning the intellect or the imagination or the curiosity or the integrity or even the sanity of non-religionists, ad nauseam.
    I understand that.
  10. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Oct '11 17:34
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    The neo Buddhist are those Buddhists who have taken the principle of Non Violence ( Ahimsa) and have turned it back the front to mean ( do violence.)

In other words they are supporting the slaughter of animals instead of protecting the animals like their Buddhist teachings demand.

This is the new (neo Buddhism) of today.

What will tomorrow bring.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Oct '11 18:37
    The neo Buddhist are those Buddhists who have taken the principle of Non Violence ( Ahimsa) and have turned it back the front to mean ( do violence.)

In other words they are supporting the slaughter of animals instead of protecting the animals like their Buddhist teachings demand.

This is the new (neo Buddhism) of today.

What will tomorrow bring.
    What about the violence we do to plants to get our food? Does not a plant have a soul?
  12. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Oct '11 18:56
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What about the violence we do to plants to get our food? Does not a plant have a soul?
    All living things have the soul within - otherwise they could not live.

The soul is indestructible and eternal.

Plants and fruits and milk have been given to mankind for food.

There is no sin in eating the produce of crops or drinking milk.

However the killing of sentient beings is condemned for those advancing on the path of God consciousness - for each creature has their particular path and allotted span of life and no one has the right to interfere with that.

Its all about raising the consciousness to the transcendental platform - because when the consciousness is pure - then many activities become distasteful.

Without pure consciousness then love for God will not be achieved.

It is impossible to love God and at the same time kill Gods creatures.
  13. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    03 Oct '11 20:451 edit
    While you say it is ok for us to eat plants and drink milk for food; is it also acceptable to take pleasure while killing the plants?

Let's say one of those lesser people, a Christian for example, takes a baseball bat and with a diabolical laugh, proceeds to club a cactus to death -- BUT, he eats the fruit as well. is that acceptable?

What if someone milks a cow, but does so overly aggressively, or, derives some deviant pleasure from it. Is this acceptable in the Vedic teachings?
  14. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Oct '11 21:20
    Originally posted by sumydid
    While you say it is ok for us to eat plants and drink milk for food; is it also acceptable to take pleasure while killing the plants?

Let's say one of those lesser people, a Christian for example, takes a baseball bat and with a diabolical laugh, proceeds to club a cactus to death -- BUT, he eats the fruit as well. is that acceptable?

What if someone ...[text shortened]... ssively, or, derives some deviant pleasure from it. Is this acceptable in the Vedic teachings?
    If you are going to talk like a fool then I cannot help you.
  15. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    03 Oct '11 21:241 edit
    If you are going to talk like a fool then I cannot help you.
    Just lightening up the mood. It gets a little too dry in here sometimes. My apologies if you found it offensive.

Though I will admit to being curious. If the Vedic teachings don't contain anything on the subject, and they probably don't, then what is your personal take?

Is the cold blooded, first degree murder of a plant -- something that would anger your Pagan god?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree