1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Aug '20 02:39
    What impacts do you think access to the internet is having on the spiritual / religious / philosophical / moral / ideological dimensions of the human condition?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '20 02:551 edit
    @fmf said
    What impacts do you think access to the internet is having on the spiritual / religious / philosophical / moral / ideological dimensions of the human condition?
    I don’t have any research on this as I’ve not looked it up, but I’m sure there is more informed opinion out there than mine which is that I feel that the net overall effect of the internet on society is probably negative.

While the internet and it’s social media platforms in all their facades reflect us as a society, I feel that they also promote a narcissistic mindset and drives poor behaviour through online disinhibition.

The internet connects people to the wider world and expand their understanding of the wider world, but it all isolates people at an emotional level and disconnects in the same way Christmas does to the lonely.

Generally speaking, I don’t think the internet benefits us in spiritual / religious / philosophical / moral / ideological dimensions.
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    06 Aug '20 09:15
    @fmf said
    I'm really glad we have it for the COVID lockdown.

I've found this forum to be really interesting and helpful through the years, as I walk my Spiritual path.

It's true that it cannot substitute for all the benefits of in-person interaction, but the reverse is also true, I think.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Aug '20 22:18
    @fmf said
    I think the internet gives minorities in any of those dimensions a feeling
    of belonging which is both beneficial to society and potentially harmful.

The LGBTQ community have obviously benefited but so has the Flat Earth Society
    and religious extremism. Is there a net benefit? Probably but hard to quantify.
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    06 Aug '20 23:51
    @fmf said
    I don't think the internet changes 'what we are' in any of the specified dimensions, we bring ourselves and our essence to technology in the same way as we do everything else. The internet is essentially a tool, hugely beneficial in terms of easy access to information and communication, the latter of which, as Mr divegeester has so succinctly put it, has both negative and positive aspects; by communicating we are probably brought together and driven apart in approximately equal degrees.
    Without the internet I wouldn't be living in Indonesia, so there are huge practical benefits, nor would I be playing chess for that matter, so it's a useful tool, but having lived without it during my formative years I'm no happier or less happy because of it, it's just a different way of living. It's a good servant and a dreadful master, and should not be seen as anything other than a means to an end.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 Aug '20 14:591 edit
    @fmf said
    The world has advanced exponentially in all areas of human activity in the last 20 years. More information, faster access to data and efficient communication ... all great things. The downside of the internet is mostly petty and nonsensical. These passages in the bible show that no miracle is needed when the time comes:

Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen. (Revelation 1:7 KJV)

There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out. (Luke 13:28 KJV)

It is pretty incredible [although now we take this for granted], that within a couple hours we could have seen exactly what happened in Beirut from 10 different angles. Who knows what 5G technology would bring. God is guiding the affairs of men and all is going in the right direction contrary to what some Christians preach that Satan is ruling the world.
  7. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    08 Aug '20 03:01
    @rajk999 said
    The world has advanced exponentially in all areas of human activity in the last 20 years. More information, faster access to data and efficient communication ... all great things. The downside of the internet is mostly petty and nonsensical. These passages in the bible show that no miracle is needed when the time comes:

[i]Behold, he cometh with clouds; and [b]every eye s ...[text shortened]... going in the right direction contrary to what some Christians preach that Satan is ruling the world.
    Well, leaving aside your completely irrelevant biblical references, and since you seem to want to put the Beirut explosion into some kind of weird religious context, your god seems to have guided a couple of hundred people to their deaths, and guided a few thousand more to be horribly injured, whilst destroying a couple of hospitals just to make the situation even more desperate. Then he guided a few hundred thousand out of their homes which have become uninhabitable. So all in all it was a good bit of guiding, and thanks to the internet we can, as you say, watch his guiding from several different angles, just to make sure everything's going in the right direction.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 Aug '20 10:16
    @indonesia-phil said
    Well, leaving aside your completely irrelevant biblical references, and since you seem to want to put the Beirut explosion into some kind of weird religious context, your god seems to have guided a couple of hundred people to their deaths, and guided a few thousand more to be horribly injured, whilst destroying a couple of hospitals just to make the situation even mor ...[text shortened]... guiding from several different angles, just to make sure everything's going in the right direction.
    Your impression of what God is or does is childish.
    God is not anyones personal genie.
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    08 Aug '20 10:46
    @rajk999 said
    Your impression of what God is or does is childish.
    God is not anyones personal genie.
    According to you, your god is 'guiding the affairs of men', where do you see your gods' guiding hand in the Beirut explosion, and how do you see the explosion as an example of your claim that things are going in the right direction?
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 Aug '20 11:10
    @indonesia-phil said
    According to you, your god is 'guiding the affairs of men', where do you see your gods' guiding hand in the Beirut explosion, and how do you see the explosion as an example of your claim that things are going in the right direction?
    The Beirut explosion is the end result of a series of bad decisions and sheer carelessness. People died as a result. What does that have to do with God guiding the affairs of men.
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    09 Aug '20 00:35
    @rajk999 said
    The Beirut explosion is the end result of a series of bad decisions and sheer carelessness. People died as a result. What does that have to do with God guiding the affairs of men.
    As far as I'm concerned it has nothing whatsoever to do with your god guiding the affairs of men (what about women, by the way, do they guide themselves?), since as far as I'm concerned your god doesn't exist, it's you who is so confidently making the claim, not I.

So let's think it through: You claim that your god is guiding the affairs of men. The Beirut explosion is a part of the affairs of men. Therefore logically your god is guiding events building up to, during and after the explosion, including the bad decisions and carelessness of which you speak. If he has no influence upon said bad decisions and carelessness then he has not in fact guided anything, and your claim is false or erroneous.

He's either guiding things or he isn't, in other words he either caused the explosion or he didn't, you can't have it both ways.
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    09 Aug '20 00:49
    @indonesia-phil said
    As far as I'm concerned it has nothing whatsoever to do with your god guiding the affairs of men (what about women, by the way, do they guide themselves?), since as far as I'm concerned your god doesn't exist, it's you who is so confidently making the claim, not I.

So let's think it through: You claim that your god is guiding the affairs of men. The Beirut explosio ...[text shortened]... r he isn't, in other words he either caused the explosion or he didn't, you can't have it both ways.
    Nonsense. A parent can guide the affairs of a child and still allow the child to experience, or pay for or suffer for, the consequences of their bad decisions.

Like I said, your impression of what God is about is misguided.
  13. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    09 Aug '20 01:02
    @fmf said
    Fox News says that Google is unfair and deletes stuff from people they don't like...!
  14. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    09 Aug '20 03:09
    @rajk999 said
    Nonsense. A parent can guide the affairs of a child and still allow the child to experience, or pay for or suffer for, the consequences of their bad decisions.

Like I said, your impression of what God is about is misguided.
    So, as I have asked before, in what way do you think your god was guiding the affairs of men prior to the explosion?
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    09 Aug '20 14:293 edits
    @indonesia-phil said
    So, as I have asked before, in what way do you think your god was guiding the affairs of men prior to the explosion?
    The affairs of men have been predicted from the time of Christ to the time of His return. Some egs
    - knowledge will increase [ the last 50 years have been astounding in this regard]
    - the Jews will return to their homeland
    - Criminal tyrannical rulers - Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot, Mugabe and even Trump
    (the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will, and setteth up over it the basest of men. (Daniel 4:17 KJV))

God makes all those things happen. God rules.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree