1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    01 Oct '14 14:59
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    The Islamic Dilemma: Hmm, we don't like them; their religion is not ours, so let's bomb the piss out of them. But the more we do that, the less they seem to like [b]us, which makes us like them even less.

So the real dilemma is: how to genocide all the Muslims without a bunch of other people getting mad at us?[/b]
    Don't forget the US is not a Christian nation anymore.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Oct '14 15:52
    Originally posted by whodey
    So we can see your pictures silly and know ever intimate detail of your life.
    Well, then we could have an intimacy exchange! I'll show you MY perversion if you show me YOURS!
  3. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    01 Oct '14 17:07
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    As a nation, it never was, was it?
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Oct '14 17:411 edit
    Originally posted by C Hess
    As a nation, it never was, was it?
    You're kidding right? A survey recently done shows 43% of Americans believe the world is 6000 years old. They don't get that from grade school.

But for me, the sooner that goes to zero percent, the better I would like it.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Oct '14 19:31

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Oct '14 22:59
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Duchess64: "What would Jesus do? Would Jesus feel that he had to join Facebook?" He wouldn't have based His social
    media options on "Would Jesus feel..." subjectivity but on incisive rational thought. Would you have Friended Him?
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    02 Oct '14 03:58
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    When I said 'our religion', I meant Consumerism.
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    02 Oct '14 03:59
    Originally posted by FMF
    Dasa, with some encouragement from RJHinds, has taken this stance on this forum in the past, although they seemed not too worried about "a bunch of other people getting mad at us". 😉
    I'm firmly convinced that we would not all be sitting here typing on a forum if the likes of them ever got their hands on real power.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Oct '14 06:08
    Apparently this blonde French woman can not understand why she is called an Islamophobe and accused of being intolerant and disrespectful to Muslims. What is her problem?

YouTube
  10. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    02 Oct '14 12:41
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You're kidding right? A survey recently done shows 43% of Americans believe the world is 6000 years old. They don't get that from grade school.

But for me, the sooner that goes to zero percent, the better I would like it.
    I misunderstood, apparently. I thought he meant it was founded as a christian nation in the constitution, and only later became secular.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Oct '14 17:383 edits
    Originally posted by C Hess
    I misunderstood, apparently. I thought he meant it was founded as a christian nation in the constitution, and only later became secular.
    The Year of Our Lord: Christian Phrase Still Used on State Documents

But there's that reference in Article VII of the U.S. Constitution: "Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven and of the Independence of the United States of America the Twelfth." ( Interesting that this includes both the religiously linked dating and the utterly secular age of the nation itself. )

Some four score and seven years later, Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation is dated "on the first day of January, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-three."

And just a couple of weeks ago, Barack Obama ended his proclamation for National Park Week with: "IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this sixteenth day of April, in the year of our Lord two thousand ten, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-fourth."

Even today, people who may not know it are making reference to that same phrase any time they add "AD" to a date. After all, the Latin "anno domini" means nothing but "year of the Lord." ( Which is why some people replace AD with CE for "common era." )

But lots of customs common to Americans a couple of centuries back have waned in the ensuing years. Take slavery, for instance. And bleeding as a primary medical therapy. Why has this one survived in a couple of places?

Mississippi may well be the most Christian state in the Union. The 1997 Religious Landscape Survey by the folks at Pew says that about 92 percent of the population self-identifies as some kind of Christian. But that still leaves about 8 percent that don't. Georgia's non-Christian component in that survey hits about 15 percent.

I asked the press office for Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue why that state retains the old wording. Bert Brantley, the governor's communications director, replied:

"I don't know if I can point to a particular reason, other than tradition. We have continued the tradition of using that boilerplate language that the state and previous Governors have used."

Anybody ever complain?

"To my knowledge the issue has never come up, and I've been here three and a half years."

There could be a Constitutional question here. This is not like "In God We Trust," which courts have ruled is not promoting any specific religion. "Year of our Lord" is as Christian as a crucifix. Does the exclusive use of that language constitute a government endorsement of Christianity?

I asked Bruce Murray, author of "Religious Liberty in America: The First Amendment in Historical and Contemporary Perspective," if this is an issue.

"My sense of this is, if a state legislature, school board or city council passed a law requiring official documents to be signed this way (a change from a previous policy), they could/might be clipped for passing a law 'respecting an establishment of religion'; but existing documents and policies are left alone or grandfathered in."

UCLA law professor Eugene Volokh addressed the question last month in a blog post about a controversy at Trinity University in San Antonio about the use of "year of our Lord" on diplomas:

" 'The Year of our Lord' in a date is about as religious as Providence, Rhode Island, or Corpus Christi, Texas. The meaning no doubt stems from Christianity, as so much in our culture stems from Christianity. Yet all the terms have acquired secular meaning, and using them does not require belief in the theology from which the terms originally stemmed."

Is that a position that Christians really want to go with? That time and usage have made references to Jesus Christ meaningless? ( I'm just asking. )

Dr. Albert Mohler, president of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, wrote about the Trinity University controversy for the Christian Post . Yes, "year of our Lord" has become secularized, he said. But there's no way to really divide our common dating system from Christianity:

"Thus, even when modern secularists try to change the language and dating customs from 'A.D.' to 'C.E.,' for 'common era,' the date itself remains fixed with reference to the birth of Jesus Christ. Instead of 'B.C.' for 'before Christ,' these new agents of 'tolerance' prefer 'B.C.E.,' for 'before common era.' But, once again, this does nothing to remove the fact that the number of the year points directly to the assumed date of the birth of Christ."

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/04/25/the-year-of-our-lord-christian-phrase-still-used-on-state-docum/
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Oct '14 06:26
    Is Islam evil or just insane?

YouTube
  13. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    04 Oct '14 08:161 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You're kidding right? A survey recently done shows 43% of Americans believe the world is 6000 years old.
    That does't mean they are Christian, just idiot bigots.

Christian are followers of Christ's teachings.

There is a story related in a book by Mel Tari, called "Like a Mighty Wind", relating how he became converted to Christianity in Malaysia. When he had an opportunity to go to the US, he was SOO much looking forward to go to a nation full of Christians, were they even have God on their coins! What a delight that society would be!

He relates of his huge disappointment on landing in NY and finding that the people were worse than the heathen in his home country.... Like Gandi said about South Africa - not a Christian in sight!
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Oct '14 16:01
    Originally posted by CalJust
    That does't mean they are Christian, just idiot bigots.

Christian are followers of Christ's teachings.

There is a story related in a book by Mel Tari, called "Like a Mighty Wind", relating how he became converted to Christianity in Malaysia. When he had an opportunity to go to the US, he was SOO much looking forward to go to a nation full of Christians ...[text shortened]... e heathen in his home country.... Like Gandi said about South Africa - not a Christian in sight!
    And the less that hang around, the better I like it.

If someone says they are Christian, it is HIS word you need to take, not to just blanket them with idiot bigot titles.

What you REALLY mean is their version of Christianity is not the same as YOUR version of Christianity which makes YOU the bigot.
  15. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    05 Oct '14 14:34
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    [quote] [b]The Year of Our Lord: Christian Phrase Still Used on State Documents

But there's that reference in Article VII of the U.S. Constitution: "Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven and of the Independence of the United Sta ...[text shortened]... ww.politicsdaily.com/2010/04/25/the-year-of-our-lord-christian-phrase-still-used-on-state-docum/
    Oh my god. Are you making a point?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree