1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Mar '19 05:10
    Jewish scripture has relatively little to say about what happens to Jews after their death. Judaism has perspectives on the afterlife but there seems to be no consensus. It is mostly described in vague, figurative terms. I admit to not knowing a lot about it.

Earlier in the scriptures, it seems that, after death, the soul continues to exist but not consciously. While later in the scriptures the idea of being conscious after death seems to develop.

It seems they believe that "wicked" Jews and Gentiles are sent to "Genion" where they are punished for a period of up to one year, after which the purified proceed to "Gan Eden" or the Jewish "Heaven" [an eternal destination] and the not-yet-purified are either annihilated or punished some more.

Does this system of justice or retribution seem morally weak or unjust to the Christians here?
  2. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    03 Mar '19 07:08
    @fmf said
    Jewish scripture has relatively little to say about what happens to Jews after their death. Judaism has perspectives on the afterlife but there seems to be no consensus. It is mostly described in vague, figurative terms. I admit to not knowing a lot about it.

Earlier in the scriptures, it seems that, after death, the soul continues to exist but not consciously. While later in ...[text shortened]... e.

Does this system of justice or retribution seem morally weak or unjust to the Christians here?
    Seems unbiblical.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Mar '19 07:13
    @secondson said
    Seems unbiblical.
    It's Jewish.
  4. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    03 Mar '19 07:37
    @fmf said
    It's Jewish.
    It's still unbiblical.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Mar '19 07:38
    @secondson said
    It's still unbiblical.
    Do you find it morally weak and unjust?
  6. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    03 Mar '19 07:41
    @fmf said
    Do you find it morally weak and unjust?
    I find it unbiblical.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Mar '19 08:01
    @secondson said
    I find it unbiblical.
    Yes, I know that you are not Jewish but, unless your religiosity has relieved you of your moral sensibilities, surely 'Do you find it morally weak and unjust?' is still a question ~ or a thought exercise ~ that you can address?
  8. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    03 Mar '19 08:33
    @fmf said
    Yes, I know that you are not Jewish but, unless your religiosity has relieved you of your moral sensibilities, surely 'Do you find it morally weak and unjust?' is still a question ~ or a thought exercise ~ that you can address?
    Your premise in the OP is flawed.

The "Jewish scriptures" are the Old Testament. None of what you posted about in the OP exists in the Old Testament.

So unless you are relieved of you intellectual insensibility you'll continue thinking you can ask a question based on a false premise and expect to get a moral answer.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Mar '19 08:39
    @secondson said
    Your premise in the OP is flawed.

The "Jewish scriptures" are the Old Testament. None of what you posted about in the OP exists in the Old Testament.

So unless you are relieved of you intellectual insensibility you'll continue thinking you can ask a question based on a false premise and expect to get a moral answer.
    I am asking you about "The Jewish afterlife" in terms of morality and justice, not about your Christian faith. There has been no "false premise". If I have yet again stumbled across a topic you seem unable to discuss, so be it. There's no onus on you to participate.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Mar '19 08:52
    @secondson said
    The stuff in the OP is based on the Talmud.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree