1. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 00:38
    Originally posted by telerion
    I first heard about this when I was a kid. My mother picketted the film when it came to the nearest theater (about 70 miles away). Of course, she really had no idea what the movie is about, but that didn't matter because the Christian Coalition said it was evil.

I watched the movie with my wife years later. I think it's a very interesting interpre ...[text shortened]... back to darker years when religious institutions had a stranglehold on artistic expression.

My (then) Pastor went to see it, and said the only thing he found doctrinally objectionable was when Jesus showed up with the sword in his hand. But, of course, he was a "liberal."
  2. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 00:59
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I don't believe in censorship of any kind. If humans can't be persuaded by argumentation, then they don't deserve any better than they receive.

The passion of Christ was only interesting because it was spoken in the original languages. Other than that it was artistically bland and visually boring. If you want to see real torture, watch the scene in ...[text shortened]... him). It just all went horribly wrong for them and Judas couldn't live with the guilt.

You sound like you believe in aliens.
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 01:33
    Originally posted by Darfius
    I do?
    Are you the Galaxy high commander of Venus Nepti II?

Nyxie: The Mel Gibson film is the passion of Christ.
  4. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 03:22
    Originally posted by rwingett
    There was only one theater in my area that carried the film. When I heard that the fanatical christians were boycotting it I made sure I got there to see it. Sure enough, they were out there in the parking lot. One of them looked at me and told me I was going to hell for going to see it. I thought it was a pretty boring movie. If the crazed lunatics hadn't ...[text shortened]... more people end up going to see it than would have if they'd just kept their big mouths shut.
    " If the crazed lunatics hadn't made such a big fuss over it I never would have gone to see it in the first place."

Oh Rwingo, you still have no clue how the Hollywood PR boys & girls do their work. You still believe they just make the posters ? ....... 😀
  5. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 03:24
    Originally posted by vistesd
    My (then) Pastor went to see it, and said the only thing he found doctrinally objectionable was when Jesus showed up with the sword in his hand. But, of course, he was a "liberal."

Oh man ...... 😀 🙄
  6. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 03:40
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

Oh man ...... 😀 🙄
    Maybe "doctrinal" wasn't the right word. 😉
  7. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 03:48
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Maybe "doctrinal" wasn't the right word. 😉

😀 😉
  8. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 08:15
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Darfius, you believe that someone who died 2000 years ago is still alive, and that you can communicate with him. Something about the pot calling the kettle black?

I think it as likely, nonetheless, that Jesus was simply interpreted by the Romans as desiring political power, and was put to death as a preventative measure. Quite a few of his pronouncements denounce worldly ambition.

Downplaying the role played by the Romans, and instead implicating the Jews, would also have made life easier for Christians seeking to survive under later Roman rule.
  9. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 15:09
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    Darfius, you believe that someone who died 2000 years ago is still alive, and that you can communicate with him. Something about the pot calling the kettle black?

I think it as likely, nonetheless, that Jesus was simply interpreted by the Romans as desiring political power, and was put to death as a preventative measure. Quite a few of his pronouncem ...[text shortened]... Jews, would also have made life easier for Christians seeking to survive under later Roman rule.
    The Jews openly admitted to hating Jesus. You have no leg to stand on in this extravagant conspiracy theory.

Yes, I admit to talking to God. Your point? You believe something came from nothing.

Dear Kettle,

You're black.

Yours truly,
    Pot

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree