1. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    10 Mar '05 23:07
    Following my earlier threads on cencorship, I submit the following movie, The last Temptation Christ. For those who have not watched it I will also submit a little synopsis:

The carpenter Jesus of Nazareth, tormented by the temptations of demons, the guilt of making crosses for the Romans, pity for men and the world, and the constant call of God, sets out to find what God wills for him. But as his mission nears fulfillment, he must face the greatest temptation: the normal life of a good man. At his execution, Jesus is tempted by an alluring image of a peaceful and pleasant life with Mary Magdelene to try to get him to refuse the sacrifice he must make.

Based, not on the Gospels, but on Nikos Kazantzakis' novel of the same name.

Do others here believe that this movie should be banned?
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    10 Mar '05 23:10
    Originally posted by Nyxie
    Following my earlier threads on cencorship, I submit the following movie, The last Temptation Christ. For those who have not watched it I will also submit a little synopsis:

The carpenter Jesus of Nazareth, tormented by the temptations of demons, the guilt of making crosses for the Romans, pity for men and the world, and the constant call of God, sets out t ...[text shortened]... azantzakis' novel of the same name.

I found this to be a very good movie. As you said it was based on a novel. Many people saw it and were enraged that it did not follow the gospels. So what, it wasn't supposed to.
  3. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    10 Mar '05 23:15
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I found this to be a very good movie. As you said it was based on a novel. Many people saw it and were enraged that it did not follow the gospels. So what, it wasn't supposed to.
    I have heard that there were bomb threats made to theaters during the release of this film. Pople would stand in line for hours to get tickets while religious zealots would hurl insults and threats of eternal damnation at them. Some theaters on the west coast installed metal detectors for the film's release.

Nyxie
  4. Graceland.
    Moves
    10 Mar '05 23:19

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    10 Mar '05 23:21

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Graceland.
    Moves
    10 Mar '05 23:27
    I don't see that anology as working at all here. Is there fundementally wrong with this film which you would like to address? Perhaps without cussing at us?

Nyxie

Did I cuss in my previous response ? Who is 'us' btw ?
  7. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    10 Mar '05 23:30
    Originally posted by pcaspian
    [b]I don't see that anology as working at all here. Is there fundementally wrong with this film which you would like to address? Perhaps without cussing at us?

Nyxie

Did I cuss in my previous response ? Who is 'us' btw ? [/b]
    Why yes you did cuss in your response, it's been modded but if you look above in the post where I quoted you, you will see it there.

Us = the rest of the people who read threads here at rhp. There are two others reading this thread at this time besides you. More will come.

Nyxie
  8. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    10 Mar '05 23:431 edit
    no comment.

sorry, I was talking about another film...

*ahum*
  9. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    10 Mar '05 23:451 edit
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    no comment.

sorry, I was talking about another film...

*ahum*
    edited out because of editted out... 🙂

Btw, do you think any of those three should be banned?

Nyxie
  10. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    10 Mar '05 23:56

The carpenter Jesus of Nazareth, tormented by the temptations of demons, the guilt of making crosses for the Romans, pity for men and the world, and the constant call of God, sets out t ...[text shortened]... azantzakis' novel of the same name.

Temptation was banned at all movie theaters in the town where I lived at the time, but it was shown on the campus of the university where I taught. I walked through a picket line to see it, only because it was picketed. At the time, I thought it was fairly poor film--not up to snuff for Scorcese. Kazantzakis was a favorite author of mine, but this was my least favorite book (and not for theological reasons).

When Passion came out, I publicly said that I would go to see it on the same basis; however, it was neither banned nor picketed anywhere that I knew of, so I didn't.
  11. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    10 Mar '05 23:59
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Temptation was banned at all movie theaters in the town where I lived at the time, but it was shown on the campus of the university where I taught. I walked through a picket line to see it, only because it was picketed. At the time, I thought it was fairly poor film--not up to snuff for Scorcese. Kazantzakis was a favorite author of mine, but this ...[text shortened]... same basis; however, it was neither banned nor picketed anywhere that I knew of, so I didn't.
    Yes I agree the movie itself is'nt exactly great. It has some good filming sequences, and good camera work but overall it's just an average film.

One note : According to director Martin Scorsese, the last shot was *not* intentional. The camera used to film this scene was faulty and light leaked in onto the the film, causing a white-out at the exact point in the scene at which Jesus expires, and this was not discovered until the film was processed. Serindipity or divine intervention, take your pick.

Nyxie
  12. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 00:04
    I first heard about this when I was a kid. My mother picketted the film when it came to the nearest theater (about 70 miles away). Of course, she really had no idea what the movie is about, but that didn't matter because the Christian Coalition said it was evil.

I watched the movie with my wife years later. I think it's a very interesting interpretation of the figure of Christ. There's really nothing in it to get bent out of shape over, unless you are a very dogmatic, fundamentalist evangelical xtian. As I recall, it was sympathetic to Jesus (sorry, Prince Caspain, no child molesting, murdering, or whatever). Banning the movie simply because it doesn't adhere to a very narrow interpretation of Christ would rob the world of a wonderful piece of art and harkens back to darker years when religious institutions had a stranglehold on artistic expression.

13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 00:20
    Originally posted by telerion
    I first heard about this when I was a kid. My mother picketted the film when it came to the nearest theater (about 70 miles away). Of course, she really had no idea what the movie is about, but that didn't matter because the Christian Coalition said it was evil.

I watched the movie with my wife years later. I think it's a very interesting interpre ...[text shortened]... back to darker years when religious institutions had a stranglehold on artistic expression.

There was only one theater in my area that carried the film. When I heard that the fanatical christians were boycotting it I made sure I got there to see it. Sure enough, they were out there in the parking lot. One of them looked at me and told me I was going to hell for going to see it. I thought it was a pretty boring movie. If the crazed lunatics hadn't made such a big fuss over it I never would have gone to see it in the first place. The end result is that their fanatical tirades only draw more attention to whatever it is they're boycotting. So more people end up going to see it than would have if they'd just kept their big mouths shut.
  14. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 00:33
    edited out because of editted out... 🙂

Btw, do you think any of those three should be banned?

Nyxie
    I don't believe in censorship of any kind. If humans can't be persuaded by argumentation, then they don't deserve any better than they receive.

The passion of Christ was only interesting because it was spoken in the original languages. Other than that it was artistically bland and visually boring. If you want to see real torture, watch the scene in Schindler's list when the nazi is randomly shooting people.

The last temptation of christ was amusing because it showed doubt. Other than that, it was complete rubbish and as interesting as a coke commercial.

I don't know which other film you'd be on about.

I find the best representation of the story of Christ to be JC superstar.
    However, I still cling to the belief that Jesus and Judas were in cahoots to gain political power (Jesus didn't break a Roman law and the Jews had no power to convict him). It just all went horribly wrong for them and Judas couldn't live with the guilt.

15. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 00:36
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I don't believe in censorship of any kind. If humans can't be persuaded by argumentation, then they don't deserve any better than they receive.

The passion of Christ was only interesting because it was spoken in the original languages. Other than that it was artistically bland and visually boring. If you want to see real torture, watch the scene in ...[text shortened]... him). It just all went horribly wrong for them and Judas couldn't live with the guilt.

In your edited post you mentioned Mel Gibsons film. Temptation, superstar, and passion making the three I asked about then.

Nyxie

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree