This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    09 Nov '05 14:52
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    can you see why I think you belong as far away from a voting booth as I can get you?
    lmao
  3. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    09 Nov '05 15:041 edit
    I was watching the making of "The Last Temptation of Christ" this morning. The movie was made by Martin Scorcese, a Christian. Everybody involved in the production of the movie was a Christian.

During the making of the movie there was a tremendous protest effort by the conservative Christian movement. The movement even went so far as to threat ...[text shortened]... l behavior, can you see why I think you belong as far away from a voting booth as I can get you?
    Tell me Sas, did you watch the actual film (not the making of)? What were your thoughts?
  4. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    09 Nov '05 15:12
    I was watching the making of "The Last Temptation of Christ" this morning. The movie was made by Martin Scorcese, a Christian. Everybody involved in the production of the movie was a Christian.

During the making of the movie there was a tremendous protest effort by the conservative Christian movement. The movement even went so far as to threat ...[text shortened]... l behavior, can you see why I think you belong as far away from a voting booth as I can get you?
    Good post. And from a Christian no less.

One of these days, I hope, Christians are going tor realize that their faith is a private matter. When they force their faith upon the public they have to expect the public to fight back. For some reason so many christians just don't get that.

For the life of me I can't undertsand why.
  5. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    09 Nov '05 15:311 edit

6. Gangster Land
    Moves
    09 Nov '05 15:33
    Originally posted by wib
    Good post. And from a Christian no less.

One of these days, I hope, Christians are going tor realize that their faith is a private matter. When they force their faith upon the public they have to expect the public to fight back. For some reason so many christians just don't get that.

For the life of me I can't undertsand why.
    Good point wib, and if I may add to it...

Many of these Christians freely admit that good behavior will not get a person into heave or any closer to God yet they want to pass laws that require even non-christians to "behave" like Christians. What is the bloody point of that?

TheSkipper
  7. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    09 Nov '05 16:021 edit
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    Good point wib, and if I may add to it...

Many of these Christians freely admit that good behavior will not get a person into heave or any closer to God yet they want to pass laws that require even non-christians to "behave" like Christians. What is the bloody point of that?

TheSkipper
    Well I have an opinion, but that's certainly all it is.

I think a lot of Christians simply believe they're "right". That they have found the answer to all of life's many questions and problems and they want everyone else to follow suit. They definitely think their way is the best way to live. So why can't everyone else just do the same?

In fairness I believe a lot of christians that share their faith and try to impose their values on others really believe they're helping. They believe they're doing the right thing and they seem genuinely confused when the rest of us tell'em to take a hike.

They just don't seem to understand that everyone has to find their own path in life, it can't be forced upon us. We all need to make good choices and bad. We need to stumble and fall and pick ourselves up. I don't want all of the answers in life. I don't want life to be simple. Hell I even like the fact that so many things in life DON'T make sense.

So to answer your question skip - IMO Christians believe they have the answer. They want to share it. They want everyone to follow the same path they've chosen. And they're completely amazed that the rest of us just can't see what they see.

Unfortunately they can't put all of humanity into one nice, big box.

EDIT: I'm not throwing all christians into one group by the way, nor any other religions for that matter. Everyone is different and many Christians do an awful lot of great work in this world, and they do it without forcing their way of life upon others.
  8. Standard memberknightwest
    General of GROSS
    Calvin's Treehouse
    Moves
    09 Nov '05 16:18
    It is not just a Christian thing though.
    I can't remember the exact details but about half a year ago an english theatre company had to stop performing a play because a large group of Sihks had taken offense to it, and demonstrated outside the theatre. The threat of violence was so intense that they had to stop putting the play on.
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    09 Nov '05 16:22
    Originally posted by knightwest
    No, Satanic Verses are unwelcome amongst the humourless everywhere.
  10. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    09 Nov '05 16:27
    Originally posted by knightwest
    I can't remember the exact details but about half a year ago an english theatre company had to stop performing a play because a large group of Sihks had taken offense to it, and demonstrated outside the theatre. The threat of violence was so intense that they had to stop putting the play on.
    You're right. But I was just referencing Christianity because that's by far the most powerful religion, in politics anyway, in the US.
  11. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    09 Nov '05 17:561 edit

A movie was made about one couple's experience as movie rental store owners who chose to sell the video. True story. Pretty scary. It's been well-received by film festivals.

Not that Hollywood would have the balls (stupidity) actually put it on screen. The fundies pissed themselves when The Passion wasn't nominated for best picture. They wailed that it brought in the tremendous ticket sales, yet was overlooked. Of course, Shrek 2 brought in even higher sales without receiving a nomination, but when did these whiners ever care to face reality?

Here's a link to that movie:

www.beholder.com

an overview of the story

http://www.beholder.com/HOTB_background.htm

And finally a disclaimer about the true story aspect from the site:

This movie is based on the true story of what happened to the Tiptons but is also the story of other video store owners from across the country that were targeted by religious groups. The original screenplay was over 400 pages long and to fit within the time frame of a normal feature film, it had to be reduced to 110 pages. Some names were changed and several characters had to be combined as composites to reduce the size of the script. To enhance the entertainment and marketing value of the movie, some scenes were dramatized but the majority of the film is based on real events and real people.
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    09 Nov '05 19:471 edit
    Aside from academic interest generated by certain interpretive liberties taken with the biblical texts, which should have had fundamentalists up in arms, The Passion was a waste of time. The Last Temptation of Christ took similar liberties, but was also interesting for its novel approach to the knotty problem of handling dream sequences.

Watching the pair reveals above all that Mel Gibson should stick to action drama, and that Martin Scorsese is a talented director.
  13. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    09 Nov '05 20:07

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree