1. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    20 Mar '10 03:57
    First of all I was thinking (My JW friends argue pagan sources)The Apostle Paul used Roman concepts and their artifacts as stepping stones to discuss the "True God"

Example: Acts 17:23
    "For while I was passing through and examining the objects of your worship, I also found an altar with this inscription, 'TO AN UNKNOWN GOD ' Therefore what you worship in ignorance, this I proclaim to you.

The Logos was a Greek concept as noted John obvious borrowed this concept.
    The Logos is identified with Christ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logos (I know wikipedia is not the definitive source but a start)

Manny
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Mar '10 04:38
    Originally posted by menace71
    First of all I was thinking (My JW friends argue pagan sources)The Apostle Paul used Roman concepts and their artifacts as stepping stones to discuss the "True God"

Example: Acts 17:23
    "For while I was passing through and examining the objects of your worship, I also found an altar with this inscription, 'TO AN UNKNOWN GOD ' Therefore what you worship ...[text shortened]... edia.org/wiki/Logos (I know wikipedia is not the definitive source but a start)

Manny
    Yes, St Paul draws on a lot of Hellenic thought too. For example, he heavily borrows the idea of physis (that is, nature) as a source of moral reasoning. If Paul were one of the Church Fathers, rather than an Apostle, the JWs would have called him a pagan and cast him off as a heretic.
  3. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    20 Mar '10 05:06
    Agreed. I argue the Pagan/Greek/Roman concepts in and of themselves do not negate there truthfulness. The Apostle Paul used for example the games that he obviously saw talking about the good fight and running the race. The Armour of God? Sounds Roman to me.

Manny
  4. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    23 Mar '10 15:27
    Originally posted by menace71
    Agreed. I argue the Pagan/Greek/Roman concepts in and of themselves do not negate there truthfulness. The Apostle Paul used for example the games that he obviously saw talking about the good fight and running the race. The Armour of God? Sounds Roman to me.

Manny
    truth is truth, wether using greek/roman reasoning or not. Western philosophy was heavily influenced by the greek ideas of mind/body/spirit

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree