The lords evening meal

The lords evening meal

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
14 Apr 14
4 edits

Great ones! today is the very day that the Christ sat with his twelve disciples in an upper room somewhere in the Holy city and held first of all The Passover celebration and then instituted a New Covenant with his disciples, a covenant for a kingdom, Gods Kingdom. It was on this annual occasion that the Christ asked his disciples to observe the occasion with the words, 'keep doing this in remembrance of me'. After sundown today marks the exact time that Christ would have celebrated this occasion with his disciples. As you gaze at the full moon tonight I ask you to also remember the Christ in that upper room all those years ago, knowledgeable that he would be betrayed on this very night as he washed the feet of the disciples in a supreme act of humility. May you be moved by his self sacrificing love and his humility as you reflect on the events of this most sacred occasion.

(Luke 22:14-20) At length when the hour came, he reclined at the table, and the apostles with him. And he said to them: “I have greatly desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer for I tell you, I will not eat it again until it becomes fulfilled in the kingdom of God.” And, accepting a cup, he gave thanks and said: “Take this and pass it from one to the other among yourselves;for I tell you, From now on I will not drink again from the product of the vine until the kingdom of God arrives.” Also, he took a loaf, gave thanks, broke it, and gave it to them, saying: “This means my body which is to be given in your behalf. Keep doing this in remembrance of me.” Also, the cup in the same way after they had the evening meal, he saying: “This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood, which is to be poured out in your behalf.

Moves
15 Apr 14

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Great ones! today is the very day that the Christ sat with his twelve disciples in an upper room somewhere in the Holy city and held first of all The Passover celebration and then instituted a New Covenant with his disciples, a covenant for a kingdom, Gods Kingdom. It was on this annual occasion that the Christ asked his disciples to observe the oc ...[text shortened]... This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood, which is to be poured out in your behalf.
I know this is one of your favourite "bait" threads which provides you the opportunity to preen and show your JW knowledge, but I'm going to bite anyway.

I remember you saying was it April 17th once. How can it be as you say that "today is the very day"?

And what has the "full moon" got to do with it? Sounds a bit occultist to me.

rc

Moves
15 Apr 14
1 edit

Originally posted by divegeester
I know this is one of your favourite "bait" threads which provides you the opportunity to preen and show your JW knowledge, but I'm going to bite anyway.

I remember you saying was it April 17th once. How can it be as you say that "today is the very day"?

First of all I am not baiting anyone the post was made in sincerity and I ask you to respect that, anyhow to your question.

The ancient Hebrews in the time of Christ had a lunar calendar and the months were calculated according the the phases of the moon and so some 'drift', occurs in relation to the solar calendar by about 10-12 days depending. Now the passover was held on the Jewish Month Nisan 14th, which was yesterday, after sundown, so because of the lunar phase we can calculate it to the corresponding day in the lunar cycle that Christ held the celebration.

Moves
15 Apr 14

First of all I am not baiting anyone the post was made in sincerity and I ask you to respect that, anyhow to your question.

The ancient Hebrews in the time of Christ had a lunar calendar and the months were calculated according the the phases of the moon and so some 'drift', occurs in relation to the solar calendar by about 10-12 days depending. ...[text shortened]... e can calculate it to the corresponding day in the lunar cycle that Christ held the celebration.
"Some drift"

But in the last couple of yrs you claimed it was the 17th. That is certainly some drift!

rc

Moves
15 Apr 14

"Some drift"

But in the last couple of yrs you claimed it was the 17th. That is certainly some drift!
contrary to popular belief, we dont control the phases of the moon, crazeeeee I know, but there you are.

Moves
16 Apr 14

contrary to popular belief, we dont control the phases of the moon, crazeeeee I know, but there you are.
I understand that, but you said in you OP that "this was the very day". Nevermind I don't accept your lunar story on the dates anyway but this year I'll let it pass. Almost.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
17 Apr 14

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paschal_Full_Moon

"The date of Easter is determined as the first Sunday after the first paschal full moon falling on or after the Spring Equinox (March 21). This "full moon" does not currently correspond directly to any astronomical event, but is instead the 14th day of a lunar month, determined from tables. It may differ from the date of the actual full moon by up to two days."

I suppose this is why robbie claims it is Nisan 14, also.

See the link above for further details and a full explanation.

Moves
18 Apr 14

Originally posted by Suzianne

"The date of Easter is determined as the first Sunday after the first paschal full moon falling on or after the Spring Equinox (March 21). This "full moon" does not currently correspond directly to any astronomical event, but is instead the 14th day of a lunar month, determined from tables. It may differ fro ...[text shortened]... e claims it is Nisan 14, also.

Yes I understand how "Easter" is determined but this has nothing to do with the date of christ's actual death. It's amusing that the JWs follow this tradition.

rc

Moves
18 Apr 14
1 edit

Yes I understand how "Easter" is determined but this has nothing to do with the date of christ's actual death. It's amusing that the JWs follow this tradition.
Indeed why she is havering on about Easter I have no idea. It would have so much easier for her to google, lunar calendar. Do you also find it amusing that Jews celebrate the passover after calculating the date in a similar manner, or that Muslims also have a lunar calendar or is your prejudices entirely confined to Jehovahs Witnesses?

rc

Moves
18 Apr 14
2 edits

"The date of Easter is determined as the first Sunday after the first paschal full moon falling on or after the Spring Equinox (March 21). This "full moon" does not currently correspond directly to any astronomical event, but is instead the 14th day of a lunar month, determined from tables. It may differ fro ...[text shortened]... e claims it is Nisan 14, also.

Nisan is a Jewish calendar month, just sayin and has nothing to do with the pagan festival of the fertility goddess Astarte or Easter.

Moves
18 Apr 14
2 edits

Do you also find it amusing that Jews celebrate the passover after calculating the date in a similar manner, or that Muslims also have a lunar calendar or is your prejudices entirely confined to Jehovahs Witnesses?
Nope I'm prejudiced against all you crazies (militant members of organised religions) who think that joining your temporal clubs will buy a ticket to the happy hunting ground.

Moves
18 Apr 14

Great ones! today is the very day that the Christ sat with his twelve disciples in an upper room somewhere in the Holy city and held first of all The Passover celebration and then instituted a New Covenant with his disciples, a covenant for a kingdom, Gods Kingdom. It was on this annual occasion that the Christ asked his disciples to observe the oc ...[text shortened]... This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood, which is to be poured out in your behalf.
Seeing as how you post this every year it must be important to you; as a long time serving Jehovah's Witness are you permitted to take communion robbie?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
18 Apr 14

I did a study on this years ago and found out that after Jerusalem was attacked and the Jewish temple was destroyed in 70 A.D. and the Jews were dispersed, that they lost count of the calendar for a while and it was several centuries before they tried to officially establish it again.

I don't remember all the details now, but they had to add a 13th month every so often to keep the years right. When they started it back again, they did not know exactly where in the cycle to start it to coincide with the old calendar. They had two choices, so they picked one that is used today. However, it could have been the other one. The other cycle would have made a couple of the Passovers in the cycle come later in the year. To me any Passover that comes in March is suspect, even though I was born March 21.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
19 Apr 14

Nisan is a Jewish calendar month, just sayin and has nothing to do with the pagan festival of the fertility goddess Astarte or Easter.
Easter is the Christian celebration of the risen Christ. Why you bring in some pagan goddesses is beyond me.

So what you are clearly saying is it has nothing to do with the death and resurrection of Christ? You're just this close to acknowledging your own, well-researched pagan beliefs there, robbie. Not that I'm surprised.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
19 Apr 14
5 edits

Easter is the Christian celebration of the risen Christ. Why you bring in some pagan goddesses is beyond me.

So what you are clearly saying is it has nothing to do with the death and resurrection of Christ? You're just this close to acknowledging your own, well-researched pagan beliefs there, robbie. Not that I'm surprised.
Easter in the KJV of the Holy Bible is the same Greek word translated "Passover" in every other place in that same KJV. Why do you think the translators did that?

The Pagan Origin Of Easter

http://www.lasttrumpetministries.org/tracts/tract1.html

The Pagan Origins of Lent and Easter

Why Rabbits? Why Eggs? History of Easter.

Easter: Some history behind our Christian Holiday