1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    26 Mar '24 09:24
    For most of us, memories of our day-to-day events and those of the recent past have a familiar, mundane quality to them, but memories of our early childhood take on a brightly colored, almost magical quality. My Aunt once told me that this is because children come so recently from God. I wonder if this is true-
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '24 11:14
    @mchill said
    For most of us, memories of our day-to-day events and those of the recent past have a familiar, mundane quality to them, but memories of our early childhood take on a brightly colored, almost magical quality. My Aunt once told me that this is because children come so recently from God. I wonder if this is true-
    What do you mean by children have “recently come from God”?
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    26 Mar '24 12:10
    @mchill said
    This is because, psychologically, when people remember a painful event, they remember what happened (burning your hand on a hot stove, for example) and that is was painful, but the memory itself is not the pain (except in rare cases of trauma). Whereas, when people remember a happy event, the memory itself can make one feel happy again.

The reverse also sometimes happens, in nostalgia, where people believe the past to have been better than the present. It isn't so. Most of the past was much the same as most of the present, but our memories play tricks on us.
  4. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    26 Mar '24 16:21
    @mchill said
    I wonder! Do you have any childhood memories of your own on coming from God?

And how would your aunt know where children come from?
  5. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    26 Mar '24 20:191 edit
    @pettytalk said
    I wonder! Do you have any childhood memories of your own on coming from God?

And how would your aunt know where children come from?
    You're missing the point here. This has nothing to do with my memories of coming from God or my aunt's exact knowledge of where children come from. This was just idle speculation based on the fact that most people's memories of their early childhood are slightly different than those of the recent past.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '24 21:36
    @mchill said
    You're missing the point here. This has nothing to do with my memories of coming from God or my aunt's exact knowledge of where children come from. This was just idle speculation based on the fact that most people's memories of their early childhood are slightly different than those of the recent past.
    Maybe not really an “idle speculation” for the spirituality forum then.
  7. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    27 Mar '24 00:30
    @divegeester said
    Maybe not really an “idle speculation” for the spirituality forum then.
    Put any label on it you want, it was just a discussion topic.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Mar '24 08:04
    @mchill said
    Put any label on it you want, it was just a discussion topic.
    Label, what label? I was interested in discussing the bit where you wrote;

”My Aunt once told me that this is because children come so recently from God. I wonder if this is true-“

But you closed that spiritual angle down and backed away from saying you “wondered if it was true”.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Mar '24 07:26
    @divegeester said
    Label, what label? I was interested in discussing the bit where you wrote;

”My Aunt once told me that this is because children come so recently from God. I wonder if this is true-“

But you closed that spiritual angle down and backed away from saying you “wondered if it was true”.
    How very 'wet blanket' of you.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Mar '24 07:29
    @suzianne said
    How very 'wet blanket' of you.
    How so?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree