1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Jan '17 18:29
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    So are you trying to imply that you keep the commands of Christ and the 'rest of us' don't? Would you care to explain why exactly that statement contains 'too much truth' for me particularly. By the way I agree with that particular statement he made.
    So are you trying to imply that you keep the commands of Christ and the 'rest of us' don't?

Where exactly did I say or imply anything of the sort?

Would you care to explain why exactly that statement contains 'too much truth' for me particularly.

Are you asking why you were mentioned by name and no one else was? Because it's your thread. If someone else had started the thread, I would have named them.

By the way I agree with that particular statement he made.

It's unfortunate that Christianity is such that no one has truly tried. Why do you think that is?
  2. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 Jan '17 18:522 edits
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b]So are you trying to imply that you keep the commands of Christ and the 'rest of us' don't?

Where exactly did I say or imply anything of the sort?

Would you care to explain why exactly that statement contains 'too much truth' for me particularly.

Are you asking why you were mentioned by name and no one else was? Because it's your th ...[text shortened]... t's unfortunate that Christianity is such that no one has truly tried. Why do you think that is?[/b]
    I was 'force fed' a warped version of Christian legalism for the first 25 years of my life, so I have seen the devastating effects of outward hypocrisy and judgmentalism first hand. Most of my childhood friends are now either agnostic or atheist. By 'legalism' I mean man made laws that aren't in the Bible. I am all for keeping the commands of Christ and following biblically sound doctrine.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Jan '17 18:58
    I was 'force fed' a warped version of Christian legalism for the first 25 years of my life, so I have seen the devastating effects of outward hypocrisy and judgmentalism first hand. By 'legalism' I mean man made laws that aren't in the Bible. I am all for keeping the commands of Christ.
    You lost me here.

Was this supposed to address something I wrote?

Seem like a personal aside.
  4. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 Jan '17 19:02
    You lost me here.

Was this supposed to address something I wrote?

Seem like a personal aside.
    It means that some people may have tried and 'given up' ,what they believed was real 'Christianity' when in fact it may have been a warped version of the truth.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Jan '17 19:10
    It means that some people may have tried and 'given up' ,what they believed was real 'Christianity' when in fact it may have been a warped version of the truth.
    Okay. Thanks for clarifying that.

However, it seems that Chesterton's point was that NO Christian has truly tried. I was asking if you had any ideas on why that might be.

Or are you trying to imply that Chesterton is wrong? That some of those without a "warped version" have truly tried.
  6. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 Jan '17 19:301 edit
    Okay. Thanks for clarifying that.

However, it seems that Chesterton's point was that NO Christian has truly tried. I was asking if you had any ideas on why that might be.

Or are you trying to imply that Chesterton is wrong? That some of those without a "warped version" have truly tried.
    The line comes from Part I, Chapter 5, “The Unfinished Temple.” from Chesterton’s book, 'What’s Wrong with the World'. So I think he was saying that the problem with the world is that many people find it too hard to actually follow through with Christianity. I think he is referring specifically to non-Christians and not specifically to Christians.
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 Jan '17 19:47
    The line comes from Part I, Chapter 5, “The Unfinished Temple.” from Chesterton’s book, 'What’s Wrong with the World'. So I think he was saying that the problem with the world is that many people find it too hard to actually follow through with Christianity. I think he is referring specifically to non-Christians and not specifically to Christians.
    As I pointed out above, it is more accurate to say he was referring to non-Catholics, than to non-Christians. Only Catholics would have a shot at actually following Christ.

This might for some be an inconvenient truth about GKC, apparently best ignored.
  8. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 Jan '17 19:54
    Originally posted by JS357
    As I pointed out above, it is more accurate to say he was referring to non-Catholics, than to non-Christians. Only Catholics would have a shot at actually following Christ.

This might for some be an inconvenient truth about GKC, apparently best ignored.
    If he meant "Catholic" he would have said "Catholic" the fact that he actually said "Christian" might be an inconvenient truth apparently best ignored. 😵
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Jan '17 20:151 edit
    If he meant "Catholic" he would have said "Catholic" the fact that he actually said "Christian" might be an inconvenient truth apparently best ignored. 😵
    Actually he said "Christianity". And to Chesterton Catholicism IS "Christianity".

The difficulty of explaining “why I am a Catholic” is that there are ten thousand reasons all amounting to one reason: that Catholicism is true. I could fill all my space with separate sentences each beginning with the words, “It is the only thing that…” As, for instance, (1) It is the only thing that really prevents a sin from being a secret. (2) It is the only thing in which the superior cannot be superior; in the sense of supercilious. (3) It is the only thing that frees a man from the degrading slavery of being a child of his age. (4) It is the only thing that talks as if it were the truth; as if it were a real messenger refusing to tamper with a real message. (5) It is the only type of Christianity that really contains every type of man; even the respectable man. (6) It is the only large attempt to change the world from the inside; working through wills and not laws; and so on.

https://www.chesterton.org/why-i-am-a-catholic/

Is Catholicism something that you "found difficult and left untried"?
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 Jan '17 22:075 edits
    Repeating one thing he said: "Protestants are Catholics gone wrong; that is what is really meant by saying they are Christians."

Logically speaking, he identifies "protestants" as "Catholics gone wrong" and says that is what "Christian" means. Get it? They are, in his mind, Catholics gone wrong taking on the label of "Christian" as a way to legitimize themselves.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Jan '17 00:04
    A Catholic that believes Catholicism is correct.

Imagine that.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Jan '17 03:06
    Did you read the book and then draw that conclusion?

Or are you merely stating what you'd like to think he meant?
  13. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    02 Jan '17 03:281 edit
    Actually he said "Christianity". And to Chesterton Catholicism IS "Christianity".

The difficulty of explaining “why I am a Catholic” is that there are ten thousand reasons all amounting to one reason: that Catholicism is true. I could fill all my space with separate sentences each beginning with the words, “It is the only thing that…” As, for in ...[text shortened]... -am-a-catholic/

Is Catholicism something that you "found difficult and left untried"?
    Actually I have never tried saying 'Mary mother of God', when I pray. I imagine it may be hard.

By the way, what are you? Catholic?
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 Jan '17 16:281 edit
    Actually I have never tried saying 'Mary mother of God', when I pray. I imagine it may be hard.

By the way, what are you? Catholic?
    Your question is for ThinkOfOne but I'd like to comment. I was raised Catholic, taught by nuns and priests. We were taught that there are Catholics, protestants of various kinds, Jews, and a few others.

The word "Christian" wasn't used or wasn't emphasized so much to identify a kind of faith, as it was considered a word protestants like to call themselves to give the impression that their revolt (the Protestant Revolt, it was called) was Christ-centered). The word Christianity is an attempt to widen the field of the faithful to include non-Catholics, which is not allowed by God.

Wrap your head around the idea that some Catholics believed and may still believe that to rebel against the Catholic Church is to rebel against God. Or so I was taught.

Here is an example of traditional Catholic interpretation of the Revolt:

http://catholicism.org/the-devastation-of-catholic-europe-some-causes-and-consequences-of-the-protestant-revolt.html
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Jan '17 23:18
    Originally posted by JS357
    Your question is for ThinkOfOne but I'd like to comment. I was raised Catholic, taught by nuns and priests. We were taught that there are Catholics, protestants of various kinds, Jews, and a few others.

The word "Christian" wasn't used or wasn't emphasized so much to identify a kind of faith, as it was considered a word protestants like to call themselves ...[text shortened]... rg/the-devastation-of-catholic-europe-some-causes-and-consequences-of-the-protestant-revolt.html
    See, this is why I can't get behind the Catholic Church.

All the rites and rules, meanwhile priests molest the altar boys.

Apparently, rites and rules are not enough. Christ is not with the modern Catholic Church.

It is what I think of when some here decry "organized religion". The Reformation was a good thing.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree