1. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    31 Dec '16 05:50
    “But the new rebel is a skeptic, and will not entirely trust anything. He has no loyalty; therefore he can never be really a revolutionist. And the fact that he doubts everything really gets in his way when he wants to denounce anything. For all denunciation implies a moral doctrine of some kind; and the modern revolutionist doubts not only the institution he denounces, but the doctrine by which he denounces it. . . . As a politician, he will cry out that war is a waste of life, and then, as a philosopher, that all life is waste of time. A Russian pessimist will denounce a policeman for killing a peasant, and then prove by the highest philosophical principles that the peasant ought to have killed himself. . . . The man of this school goes first to a political meeting, where he complains that savages are treated as if they were beasts; then he takes his hat and umbrella and goes on to a scientific meeting, where he proves that they practically are beasts. In short, the modern revolutionist, being an infinite skeptic, is always engaged in undermining his own mines. In his book on politics he attacks men for trampling on morality; in his book on ethics he attacks morality for trampling on men. Therefore the modern man in revolt has become practically useless for all purposes of revolt. By rebelling against everything he has lost his right to rebel against anything.” GK Chesterton
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '16 06:121 edit
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    “But the new rebel is a skeptic, and will not entirely trust anything. He has no loyalty; therefore he can never be really a revolutionist. And the fact that he doubts everything really gets in his way when he wants to denounce anything. For all denunciation implies a moral doctrine of some kind; and the modern revolutionist doubts not only the instituti ...[text shortened]... By rebelling against everything he has lost his right to rebel against anything.” GK Chesterton
    This Chesterton quote I came across is amusing as well. Was he primarily a humorist?

All conservatism is based upon the idea that if you leave things alone you leave them as they are.

But you do not. If you leave a thing alone you leave it to a torrent of change. If you leave a white post alone it will soon be a black post. If you particularly want it to be white you must be always painting it again; that is, you must be always having a revolution. Briefly, if you want the old white post you must have a new white post.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Dec '16 06:18

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Dec '16 06:20

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '16 06:292 edits
    Here's a modern take on Chesteron written in 2008:
    Chesterton is an easy writer to love—a brilliant sentence-maker, a humorist, a journalist of endless appetite and invention. His aphorisms alone are worth the price of admission, better than any but Wilde’s. Even his standard-issue zingers are first-class—“Americans are the people who describe their use of alcohol and tobacco as vices”; “There is more simplicity in the man who eats caviar on impulse than in the man who eats grape-nuts on principle”; “ ‘My country, right or wrong,’ is a thing that no true patriot would think of saying. . . . It is like saying, ‘My mother, drunk or sober’ “—while the deeper ones are genuine Catholic koans, pregnant and profound: “Blasphemy depends on belief, and is fading with it. If anyone doubts this, let him sit down seriously and try to think blasphemous thoughts about Thor.” Or: “The function of the imagination is not to make strange things settled, so much as to make settled things strange.” Or: “A key has no logic to its shape. Its logic is: it turns the lock.”

But he is a difficult writer to defend. Those of us who are used to pressing his writing on friends have the hard job of protecting him from his detractors, who think he was a nasty anti-Semite and medievalizing reactionary, and the still harder one of protecting him from his admirers, who pretend that he was not.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2008/07/07/the-back-of-the-world
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    31 Dec '16 18:35
    I am not the pheasant plucker; I'm the pheasant plucker's mate. I was only plucking pheasants because the pheasant plucker's late.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '16 18:452 edits
    Here's another Chesterton quote - though there's probably too much truth in it for FMJ and others on this forum - assuming of course that the "Christian ideal" is keeping the words of Jesus:

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried."
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    31 Dec '16 19:19
    Do the non-Catholic Christians here accept GK's views on Catholicism and Protestantism?

"The difficulty of explaining “why I am a Catholic” is that there are ten thousand reasons all amounting to one reason: that Catholicism is true."

More at:

https://www.chesterton.org/why-i-am-a-catholic/

and

"Protestants are Catholics gone wrong; that is what is really meant by saying they are Christians."

https://lucashatt.wordpress.com/tag/gk-chesterton-on-protestantism/
  9. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 Jan '17 14:11
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Here's another Chesterton quote - though there's probably too much truth in it for FMJ and others on this forum - assuming of course that the "Christian ideal" is keeping the words of Jesus:

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried."
    When exactly have I opposed keeping the words of Jesus?
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Jan '17 15:091 edit
    “But the new rebel is a skeptic, and will not entirely trust anything. He has no loyalty; therefore he can never be really a revolutionist. And the fact that he doubts everything really gets in his way when he wants to denounce anything. For all denunciation implies a moral doctrine of some kind; and the modern revolutionist doubts not only the instituti ...[text shortened]... By rebelling against everything he has lost his right to rebel against anything.” GK Chesterton
    As he himself becomes the skeptic of men?

Can anyone say hypocrite?

We should all be skeptical of men. After all, the vast majority of human history shows man to be nothing more than a tyrant at heart and a slave master.

God made us free, man enslaves us.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Jan '17 15:22
    Originally posted by JS357
    Do the non-Catholic Christians here accept GK's views on Catholicism and Protestantism?

"The difficulty of explaining “why I am a Catholic” is that there are ten thousand reasons all amounting to one reason: that Catholicism is true."

More at:

https://www.chesterton.org/why-i-am-a-catholic/

and

"Protestants are Catholics gone wrong; that is what ...[text shortened]... ing they are Christians."

https://lucashatt.wordpress.com/tag/gk-chesterton-on-protestantism/
    Not having been exposed to much Chesterton, I cannot say what his views are.

I do, however, disagree with the quotes you present, because I am not a Catholic because I do not 'buy into' Catholicism.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Jan '17 15:26
    Originally posted by whodey
    As he himself becomes the skeptic of men?

Can anyone say hypocrite?

We should all be skeptical of men. After all, the vast majority of human history shows man to be nothing more than a tyrant at heart and a slave master.

God made us free, man enslaves us.
    Yes, man enslaves man, but this is also no reason to be skeptical of all men.

Wow, did I just say that? Well, it does make sense.
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 Jan '17 16:51
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Not having been exposed to much Chesterton, I cannot say what his views are.

I do, however, disagree with the quotes you present, because I am not a Catholic because I do not 'buy into' Catholicism.
    I guess all the other Christians here are Catholics or they would've replied like you did. No, maybe it's just not interesting enough.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Jan '17 18:15
    When exactly have I opposed keeping the words of Jesus?
    Never said or even implied that you did.
    Let's assume that by "Christian idea", Chesterton meant ""keeping the words of Jesus".

Here's the quote again:

What Chesterton would be saying is that keeping the words of Jesus "has been found difficult and left untried". That people have found it difficult and have never truly tried.

What I'm saying is that there is probably too much truth in that for you and others on this forum.
  15. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 Jan '17 18:18
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Never said or even implied that you did.
    Let's assume that by "Christian idea", Chesterton meant ""keeping the words of Jesus".

Here's the quote again:

What Chesterton would be saying is that keeping the words of Jesus "has been found difficu ...[text shortened]... at I'm saying is that there is probably too much truth in that for you and others on this forum.
    So are you trying to imply that you keep the commands of Christ and the 'rest of us' don't? Would you care to explain why exactly that statement contains 'too much truth' for me particularly. By the way I agree with that particular statement he made.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree