The need for praise.

The need for praise.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
19 Dec 05

One thing that I have tried to understand but have never quite found an answer to is the common theme in many religions where the supreme being or God appears to want to be praised by human beings. Why for example is much Christian prayer nothing more than praise. Is it just sucking up? Is it something God wants? is it something we need? If God exists then he knows how important and great he is and so do we, so why keep repeating it?
I can see why a human King wants to be praise but it just doesnt make sense with God.

t
King of the Ashes

Trying to rise ....

Moves
19 Dec 05

In my opinion, respect, praise, and release of self to a supreme power (where It exists or not) is mostly benificial to the self. If you can pull it off, it it probably one of the best stress relievers around--certainly better than Paxil. Of course, I speak from a podium outside the Christian church, so perhaps I'm just blind to the Truth. I'm sure some full blown Christians will chime in on this topic with their generic avoidence drivel.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
19 Dec 05

Originally posted by thesonofsaul
In my opinion, respect, praise, and release of self to a supreme power (where It exists or not) is mostly benificial to the self.
Yes. It's a natural thing for a believer to do. The question is whether a given deity demands it or whether it's given freely out of love.

Hare Rama Hara Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare (*blam*)

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
19 Dec 05

Originally posted by thesonofsaul
In my opinion, respect, praise, and release of self to a supreme power (where It exists or not) is mostly benificial to the self. If you can pull it off, it it probably one of the best stress relievers around--certainly better than Paxil. Of course, I speak from a podium outside the Christian church, so perhaps I'm just blind to the Truth. I'm sure some full blown Christians will chime in on this topic with their generic avoidence drivel.
The idea that a supposedly perfect god could benefit from anything is contradictory. If his condition is capable of being improved, then he wasn't perfect to start with. If there is a perfect god, he must have no need of anything, especially praise.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
19 Dec 05

Originally posted by rwingett
The idea that a supposedly perfect god could benefit from anything is contradictory. If his condition is capable of being improved, then he wasn't perfect to start with. If there is a perfect god, he must have no need of anything, especially praise.
If there is a perfect god, he must have no need of anything, especially praise.

The same could then be said for our devotion, obedience etc.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
19 Dec 05

Originally posted by Halitose
The same could then be said for our devotion, obedience etc.
Quite rightly!

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
19 Dec 05

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Quite rightly!
Unless it has nothing to do with improving God's position/condition.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
19 Dec 05

Unless it has nothing to do with improving God's position/condition.
God needs our help, it's true.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
19 Dec 05

God needs our help, it's true.
Not really. I think the standard answer to the question is found quite easily: He is given praise because He is worthy of it.

Psa 18:3 I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised...

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
19 Dec 05

Not really. I think the standard answer to the question is found quite easily: He is given praise because He is worthy of it.

Psa 18:3 I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised...
Plus, the singer is filled with praise--he can't hold back.

What if you just don't feel like that? If the syllable God awakens nothing in you?

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
19 Dec 05
1 edit

Plus, the singer is filled with praise--he can't hold back.

What if you just don't feel like that? If the syllable God awakens nothing in you?

Then obviously you have nothing of meaning to praise.

Edit: On rereading this I guess it can be taken the wrong way, so let me emphasise: "nothing" was meant in the sense of "no-God entity".

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
19 Dec 05

Then obviously you have nothing of meaning to praise.
You might feel like singing a love song.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
19 Dec 05
1 edit

You might feel like singing a love song.
Sure - to whom?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
19 Dec 05

[b]If there is a perfect god, he must have no need of anything, especially praise.

The same could then be said for our devotion, obedience etc.[/b]
God may want these things, but he cannot need them, or derive any improvement from them. My post was directed to the idea that praise might be beneficial to god. It cannot be. That does not preclude god from wanting to be praised or obeyed, but he cannot need them or derive any benefit from them.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
19 Dec 05

Sure - to whom?
The beloved, of course.