1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Nov '14 15:165 edits
    Of course some posters will only want to talk about "how bad God is."
    This thread is about how all-inclusive Christ is and how the believers need to be thorough in their apprehension of Christ.

If God is bad then God incarnate in Christ is bad.
    God incarnate in Christ is salvation.

God did not morph from mean to kind in the New Testament.
    God did not change in His attitude about sin.
    But grace and reality came through Jesus after the law was given.

"For the law was given through Moses. Grace and reality came through Jesus Christ" (John 1:17)

Today the fight is over gaining grace and reality which "came" through Jesus Christ. Grace and truth came with the coming of Jesus. God can be dispensed into us.

It was an old heresy in early church history that taught that there was a different God in the old testament from the new. See Marcionism around 144 AD. WIKI - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcionism

God was only, so to speak, "new and improved" only that He came through the process of incarnation, crucifixion, resurrection, enthronement and indwelling that God may now be dispensed into man.

And this dispensing of Christ into our being is the good land in which God's eternal living temple is built - New Jerusalem. In this age a remnant at least of overcomers must fight through to secure the enjoyment of the all-inclusive Christ.

So to those who are stuck on wanting to prove that the God of the Bible is not as good as they are, this thread is on the grace and reality that came to us in Christ.
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    15 Nov '14 16:52
    Originally posted by sonship
    Of course some posters will only want to talk about "how bad God is."
    This thread is about how all-inclusive Christ is and how the believers need to be thorough in their apprehension of Christ.

If God is bad then God incarnate in Christ is bad.
    God incarnate in Christ is salvation.

God did not morph from mean to kind in the New Testament ...[text shortened]... e is not as good as they are, this thread is on the grace and reality that came to us in Christ.
    so admit that the canaanite conquest was evil
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Nov '14 17:264 edits
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    Certainly what happened to them was evil.
    God is not, never has been, never will be evil.

Psalm 94:23 King James Bible
    And he shall bring upon them their own iniquity, and shall cut them off in their own wickedness; yea, the LORD our God shall cut them off.

Likewise:

1 Kings 21:21-23King James Version (KJV)

21 Behold, I will bring evil upon thee, and will take away thy posterity, and will cut off from Ahab him that pisseth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel,

22 And will make thine house like the house of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, and like the house of Baasha the son of Ahijah, for the provocation wherewith thou hast provoked me to anger, and made Israel to sin.

Sure. In that since God brought an evil upon the Canaanites.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Nov '14 17:30
    The Canaanite conquest was not evil, it was God saving the human race from the destruction of sin and evil.
    These people like in Genesis 6, were evil.
    I cannot even imagine a people whose thoughts were continually evil. Every thought was evil all the time!
    Satan had so deceived mankind that it was headed to extinction.

God commanded Joshua, David, etc., to remove this cancer. Sin is destructive and ends in death, always.

I think what Sonship is saying is that we relate to the enemies found in the Old Testament in the old sinful nature. This is the continuing battle in the mind of every believer.
    We have the weapons in Christ Jesus to exterminate the old sin nature's thoughts, the carnal thoughts.
    We are further commanded to bring every thought captive,
    2 Cor 10:4-6
    For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, 5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, 6 and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled.
    NKJV

These people in the Old Testament could not be rehabilitated, including woman, children and animals. Their acts of sin were so atrocious and evil, I hate to mention them, but beastiality was among them.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Nov '14 17:33
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    The Canaanite conquest was not evil, it was God saving the human race from the destruction of sin and evil.
    I cannot even imagine a people whose thoughts were continually evil. Every thought was evil all the time!

God commanded Joshua, David, ...[text shortened]... acts of sin were so atrocious and evil, I hate to mention them, but beastiality was among them.
    It could be that the children had been consecrated to demons through deep occult practices.

Anyway, your input is appreciated.
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 Nov '14 01:48

God commanded Joshua, David, ...[text shortened]... acts of sin were so atrocious and evil, I hate to mention them, but beastiality was among them.
    children were killed. in a brutal conquest. nobody was spared.

who was the evil here?
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 Nov '14 01:48
    Originally posted by sonship
    It could be that the children had been consecrated to demons through deep occult practices.

Anyway, your input is appreciated.
    are you justifying the murder of children?
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Nov '14 12:241 edit
    genocide is evil.

how are you still not getting this?

there are no justifications, no "let's look at this from a different angle"

genocide is evil and those who engage in it are evil.
    I've mentioned this in another thread and have gotten jumped on by the "Tribe of PC".

Man cannot judge God. Man and God cannot be held to the same standards. It is proven only man can be capable of genocide. Obviously when ordered by God, it cannot be called 'genocide', there are other words in nearly every language to describe what is going on here in more descriptive, less biased, terms. We stoop to using the word 'genocide' for it because our poor understanding of God, and our penchant for judging Him, deems it so.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Nov '14 12:27

Finally someone else gets this.

Watch out, though, now the PC crowd will be after you, too.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Nov '14 12:31
    children were killed. in a brutal conquest. nobody was spared.

who was the evil here?
    Those children were dead already, as were the adults.

I don't see you criticizing their parents for bringing them up dead in God into their evil ways. That was the evil we're speaking of.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Nov '14 12:39
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Man cannot judge God. Man and God cannot be held the same standards.
    So you say, but I think man can be judged in terms of the personal notions of morality they exhibit or endorse as demonstrated in the folk lore surrounding the God figure they worship. This is why we can condemn suicide bombers even though they may claim to have been carrying out God's wishes. Religious convictions don't give you a moral blank cheque.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Nov '14 12:42
    I don't see you criticizing their parents for bringing them up dead in God into their evil ways. That was the evil we're speaking of.
    Had the Hebrew God revealed Himself to the Canaanites and given them the opportunity to convert to the same religion as the Hebrews before the Hebrews, telling themselves that they were being ordered by the Hebrew God, slaughtered the Canaanites for not believing in the Hebrew God?
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Nov '14 12:53
    Originally posted by FMF
    So you say, but I think man [b]can be judged in terms of the personal notions of morality they exhibit or endorse as demonstrated in the folk lore surrounding the God figure they worship. This is why we can condemn suicide bombers even though they may claim to have been carrying out God's wishes. Religious convictions don't give you a moral blank cheque.[/b]
    You are separated from God. Of course you "think" you are justified in judging men who follow God, and therefore God in absentia. You blame Him already for your failing. "Folk lore" and "God figure" indeed.

"Claiming" to carry out God's "wishes", and *actually* carrying out God's commands are not the same thing at all. That you DO equate them shows how far you've fallen from God.

You can label this whatever you want. Religious "convictions", yeah, whatever. The truth is where the "rubber meets the road", and not where you "think" it meets the road. Unrepentant man is far from God indeed.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Nov '14 12:56
    Originally posted by FMF
    Had the Hebrew God revealed Himself to the Canaanites and given them the opportunity to convert to the same religion as the Hebrews before the Hebrews, telling themselves that they were being ordered by the Hebrew God, slaughtered the Canaanites for not believing in the Hebrew God?
    Ah, the classic PC canard, that all one has to do is come to evil with your pure intention and they will naturally fall in line and suddenly believe.

The real world, under the sway of evil, is not like that. But keep dreaming.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Nov '14 12:59
    You are separated from God. Of course you "think" you are justified in judging men who follow God, and therefore God in absentia. You blame Him already for your failing. "Folk lore" and "God figure" indeed.

"Claiming" to carry out God's "wishes", and *actually* carrying out God's commands are not the same thing at all. That you DO equate them ...[text shortened]... the road", and not where you "think" it meets the road. Unrepentant man is far from God indeed.
    I judge your morality based on your defence of genocide committed supposedly under orders from a supernatural being you just so happen to believe in. I judge your morality based on how you quibble the definition of genocide so as to make it less inconvenient for you in your endorsement of the shockingly evil deeds of ancient Hebrew tribesmen thousands of years ago. You do not have a moral blank cheque. You air your ideology in a public arena and people are going to judge you on the basis of what you believe and say.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree