1. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    27 Jun '11 11:18
    Do Catholic believe that Catholic's are the one true faith ? If so does that mean they believe that all other denominations are just whistling Dixie ?
  2. St. Peter's
    Moves
    27 Jun '11 12:14
    Originally posted by buckky
    Do Catholic believe that Catholic's are the one true faith ? If so does that mean they believe that all other denominations are just whistling Dixie ?
    catholic means universal, so then yes
  3. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    27 Jun '11 16:17
    Originally posted by Doward
    catholic means universal, so then yes
    By Universal do you mean the Baptist and the Mormans are part of the Catholic Church ? Universal means everyone does it not ?
  4. St. Peter's
    Moves
    27 Jun '11 16:42
    By Universal do you mean the Baptist and the Mormans are part of the Catholic Church ? Universal means everyone does it not ?
    yep, everyone...universal...
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 Jun '11 17:03
    Don't take the word of any one lay person (including me) as accurately representing the RCC. A quick unstudied reply may do more harm than good.

I suggest you look into such questions at websites like

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P29.HTM

Quote from that website:

"Outside the Church there is no salvation"

{still quoting:}

846 How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers?335 Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.336

847 This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.337"

Unquote.

And then, words like "Catholic" and "Baptism" should be researched.

And talk to actual clergy in your area before deciding.
  6. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    27 Jun '11 20:09
    Originally posted by Doward
    yep, everyone...universal...
    Everyone is a Catholic ?
  7. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    27 Jun '11 22:001 edit
    I believe that the RCC has changed its stance on this but people also need to understand the word Catholic also means universal. So when the RCC said you have to be a Catholic they meant a RC in that sense. Where as when this word was used by the early church fathers I don't think that had the RCC in mind. There is a one true church that is universal and it is not bound by denominations or sects or anything like that not bound by language or nationality

Manny
  8. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '11 22:391 edit
    "Another parable He spoke to them: The kingdom of the heavens is like leaven, which a woman took and hid in three measures of meal until the whole was leavened." (Matt. 13:33)

In Scripture leaven signifies evil things (1 Cor. 5:6,8) and evil doctrines Matt. 16:6,11)

In this parable the church is the practical kingdom of the heavens. And Christ is the is the unleavened fine flour, as the content. The new testament church should be a loaf of unleavened bread (1 Cor. 5:7-8).

This parable is prophecy of the corruption of the new testament church. Roman Catholicism was fully formed in the sixth century. And the woman in this parable is thought to many to be the Roman Catholic Church. Many pagan practices, heretical doctrines, and evil matters were mixed with the teaching of the New Testament concerning Jesus Christ. This was a leavening process that caused the enture content of Christianity to be bloated up, enlarged, corrupted, and made a worldly religious organization which has an outward appearance of the kingdom of the heavens.

Real Christians are caught in this system. The whole thing has been corrupted. The whole loaf has been leavened.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Jun '11 22:40
    Originally posted by menace71
    I believe that the RCC has changed its stance on this but people also need to understand the word Catholic also means universal. So when the RCC said you have to be a Catholic they meant a RC in that sense. Where as when this word was used by the early church fathers I don't think that had the RCC in mind. There is a one true church that is universal and it ...[text shortened]... enominations or sects or anything like that not bound by language or nationality

Manny
    Yes, I believe that is right. The Roman Catholic Church can not be the
    one true church for they have too many false teachings. There is no
    Christian denomination that can claim to be the one true church. The
    one true Christian church is made up of all true Christians all over the
    world. Therefore ,the term "catholic" meaning "universal" is used.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree