1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Apr '15 15:122 edits
    TYPO:

What I meant to write was -

Overcoming is associated with having the extra oil.
    Overcoming is associated with transformation of the soul AFTER [edited] regeneration of the spirit.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Apr '15 15:344 edits
    Originally posted by finnegan
    And is the parable of the lamps suggesting that people might do something active in the way of preparation for the end times?

If we love the Lord Jesus, that love should grow. As the love for Him grows more and more of our soul we are happy to turn over to the filling of His Holy Spirit.

It is normal that as we go forth the meet the Bridegroom of our love we have a life long realization that His preciousness exceeds everything. The belonging to Him wants to deepen. The deepening of this belonging effects how we live. It effects the expression of our mind in thought, the speaking, moving, doing, in the members of our body, and the emotions.

Over the course of time the Holy Spirit dispensed into the spirit begins to spread outward from the center to the circumference of our personality. This is the extra oil. This is beyond the initial Holy Spirit given to all who believe into Christ for salvation. This is the Holy Spirit draw up out of our inner kernel being into our personality - into our soul.

The foolish unbeliever may think "Why bother getting saved?"
    Yet unbelievers have no monopoly on foolishness.
    Related to the coming millennial kingdom, even the saved sinner, for whom eternal redemption secure, may be foolishly presumptuous to appear before Christ untransformed in soul.

Perhaps she looked at other Christians who spent the time in loving the Lord, denying themselves to GAIN CHRIST (as Paul wrote in Philippians). Perhaps the foolish brother or sister Christian thought "Why is this commitment to loving the Lord necessary? I am saved. I have my salvation ticket."

The soul remains very much the same as on the day the sinner became saved. The talk - the same. The walk - pretty much the same. The time spent - loving the world rather than loving and serving the Lord.

Then He comes at "midnight". Then it dawns upon the presumptuous foolish brother or sister. "I have been foolish. I am about to meet the One Who denied Himself to suffer redeeming death. But all my life I never gave up my love for the old life in order that the Holy Spirit might come into my personality. I have been foolish."
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Apr '15 15:40
    It must be noted that the foolish virgins DID actually go to obtain the extra oil. They DID go to pay the price for the filling in personality of the Spirit. But when they did the opportunity was lost to enjoy the marriage feast.

They came but they came LATE.
    They went away to obtain what was missing as the extra oil.
    But while doing so the door of celebration was shut.
    It is a matter of TIMING.
    They eventually came as they SHOULD have come but not on time. They arrived late.

Here we see this matter and we should not assume this means eternal damnation. But it does mean the missing of reward.

"And as they were going away to buy, the bridegroom came; and those who were ready went in with him to the wedding feast. And the door was shut. And later the rest of the virgins came also, saying, Lord, lord, open to us!

But he answered and said, Truly I say to you, I do not know you.

Watch therefore, for you do not know the day nor the hour." (vs.10-13)
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Apr '15 20:07

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Apr '15 21:20

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Apr '15 22:38
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Hmmm. Saran wrap?
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Apr '15 02:10
    Why TEN Virgins ?

Jesus used the number ten in the parable. We may ask why didn't he use two or eight or fifteen? The astute bible student might consider that the number 12 would be expected if the Bible is presenting symbolism of fulness or completeness.

This is a good assumption. The number of the kingdom must be twelve because in the Old Testament the number of the tribes of the people who were representatives of God's kingdom was twelve. We have the number of the Apostles in the New Testament representing the whole people of God is twelve.

In the book of Revelation concerning the ultimate consummation of God's work, the New Jerusalem is filled with 12s.

There are twelve foundations,
    twelve precious stones,
    twelve gates,
    twelve pearls,
    twelve apostles,
    twelve tribes,
    twelve varieties of fruit from the tree of life. There is also the number 144, which is composed of twelve times twelve (Rev. 21:12, 14, 17, 19-21; 22:2).

Since twelve is the proper number to represent God's kingdom why didn't Jesus use 12 virgins instead of 10 ? Think on it a bit before I present a most logical reply.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Apr '15 02:503 edits
    The question posed is why didn't Jesus use the number TWELVE to signify the virgins awaiting His coming rather than TEN?

One reason I gave was the FIVE and FIVE speak of Responsibility. The rich man died in Luke 16. He left FIVE brothers whom he really wanted not to follow him into the punishing damnation.

"And he [the rich man who died and went to the burning side of Hell] said, The I ask you, Father [Abraham] to send him to the house of my father - For I have FIVE brothers - so that he may solemnly testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.

But Abraham said, They have Moses and the prophets, let them hear them. But he said, No Father Abraham; but if someone risen from the dead would go to them, they will repent.

But he said to him, It they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded if someone rises from the dead." (Luke 16:27-31)

As you can see also, the number FIVE is associated with the dead perished rich man's surviving brothers. It was up to them to bear the responsibility whether to heed Moses and the prophets or not.

The TEN virgins divided in FIVE foolish and FIVE wise carry the same kind of meaning.

Yet perhaps as important is the fact that in the ENTIRE teaching of His second coming the number TWELVE is actually used. That is in chapter 24 the other TWO to make up a total unit of TWELVE are found.

Recall that I said before that the meaning of the TEN virgins becoming drowsy and falling asleep probably indicates that many of the Lord's believers throughout the church age will have fallen asleep before the Lord's second coming. Since He promised 2000 years ago at least many lovers of Jesus have grown "drowsy" or aged to expire in faith.

It is probably the case that the majority of Christians are those who have lived in the centuries from Christ's ascension. They died in faith. Yet some will be remaining and physically alive in His second advent. These remaining physically alive are represented in Matthew 24:39-42

"And they did not know that judgment was coming until the flood came and took all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be.

At that time TWO men will be in the field, one is taken and one is left.
    TWO women will be grinding at the mill, one is taken and one is left.

Watch therefore, for you do not know on what day your Lord comes."

The TEN Virgins are minus TWO to make the complete unit of TWELVE (fulness in eternity). The TEN are representative of the Virgins who have died in times past since Christ's resurrection and ascension. And those remaining alive are also divided into the WISE one and the FOOLISH one. These are the TWO in Matthew 24 which should be added to the TEN in Matthew 25 to complete the number of fulness TWELVE.

Since we have TWELVE minus TWO believers the lesson of READINESS of His people is applied to BOTH groups.

Here again is a similar warning to left remaining alive at the Bridegrooms unannounced coming in secret at the darkest hour, at midnight of this age.

"At that time TWO men will be in the field, one is taken and one is left.

TWO women will be grinding at the mill; one is taken and one is left."

The warning of the TEN Virgins is that some foolish believers will arrive late at the marriage celebration and be excluded. And the warning of the two believers working in the field or the two believing sisters grinding at the mill is similar. One will be raptured and one will be left.

In neither case are those shut out of the marriage feast or those left ones to lose their eternal salvation. But they do "suffer loss".

In both teachings the Holy Spirit is the important key. Working at one's legitimate daily duties, such as laboring in the field or grinding at the mill, is expected by the Lord to be done while abiding in the Holy Spirit. This is like breathing Him in in a prayerful way to stay in touch with the Lord - abiding in Him.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Apr '15 02:57
    I might only add that in the sister passage to Matthew 24:38-42 we also have the added case in Luke 18:34 -

"I tell you, In that night there will be two on one bed, the one will be taken and the other will be left."

This shows among other things:

1.) Some are taken in rapture on one side of the earth while it is day. And some are taken in rapture on the other side of the planet while it is night.

2.) Even in sleeping on the bed, the Lord looks to see if we are sleeping abiding in the Holy Spirit. This is something developed over a long period of time by building up the habit to abide in a prayerful atmosphere continually turning the heart to the Lord Jesus within.

Telling Him we love Him, praising and thanking Him in love are important ingredients to abiding in the Holy Spirit as the extra oil.

Some readers may pout that these Christians do not appear to be doing anything for man in the way of service spiritually or practically. But I remind them that the previous parable to the Ten Virgins speaks of Christ's coming from the angle of SERVICE. This aspect is not left out (Matthew 24:45-51).

The following teaching with which I mainly am dealing with, Matthew 25:1-13 has its focus on LOVE. So there is the angle of SERVICE and there is the angle of LOVE. The Lord Jesus neglects neither crucial aspect of preparation for His return.
  10. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    07 Apr '15 19:211 edit
    Originally posted by sonship
    I might only add that in the sister passage to [b]Matthew 24:38-42 we also have the added case in Luke 18:34 -

"I tell you, In that night there will be two on one bed, the one will be taken and the other will be left."

This shows among other things:

1.) Some are taken in rapture on one side of the earth while ...[text shortened]... the angle of LOVE. The Lord Jesus neglects neither crucial aspect of preparation for His return.[/b]
    (Matthew 24:7) “For nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom, (part of the sign of the Jesus' parousia)

This occurred in 1914 C.E. (WW1) since then:

(Psalm 110:2) Jehovah will extend the scepter of your power out of Zion, saying: “Go subduing in the midst of your enemies.”

(Psalm 2:1, 2) Why are the nations agitated And the peoples muttering an empty thing?  2 The kings of the earth take their stand And high officials gather together as one Against Jehovah and against his anointed one.
    (Psalm 2:4-8) The One enthroned in the heavens will laugh; Jehovah will scoff at them.  5 At that time he will speak to them in his anger And terrify them in his burning anger,  6 Saying: “I myself have installed my king On Zion, my holy mountain.”  7 Let me proclaim the decree of Jehovah; He said to me: “You are my son; Today I have become your father.  8 Ask of me, and I will give nations as your inheritance And the ends of the earth as your possession.
    (Psalm 2:12) Honor the son, or God will become indignant And you will perish from the way, For His anger flares up quickly. Happy are all those taking refuge in Him.

To conclude, Jesus' return has already occured.He is now with Jehovah's backing conquering in the midst of his enemies.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Apr '15 23:503 edits
    (Matthew 24:7) “For nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom, (part of the sign of the Jesus' parousia)

This occurred in 1914 C.E. (WW1) since then:

Surely, you don't believe that it was only by 1914 that a nation rose up against another nation. I don't think "nation shall rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom" must be relegated as only beginning in 1914.

(Psalm 110:2) Jehovah will extend the scepter of your power out of Zion, saying: “Go subduing in the midst of your enemies.”

(Psalm 2:1, 2) Why are the nations agitated And the peoples muttering an empty thing? 2 The kings of the earth take their stand And high officials gather together as one Against Jehovah and against his anointed one.
    (Psalm 2:4-8) The One enthroned in the heavens will laugh; Jehovah will scoff at them. 5 At that time he will speak to them in his anger And terrify them in his burning anger, 6 Saying: “I myself have installed my king On Zion, my holy mountain.” 7 Let me proclaim the decree of Jehovah; He said to me: “You are my son; Today I have become your father. 8 Ask of me, and I will give nations as your inheritance And the ends of the earth as your possession.
    (Psalm 2:12) Honor the son, or God will become indignant And you will perish from the way, For His anger flares up quickly. Happy are all those taking refuge in Him.

To conclude, Jesus' return has already occured.He is now with Jehovah's backing conquering in the midst of his enemies.

The problem I face here is agreeing that here and there Christ HAS indeed subdued enemies WITHOUT adopting the Russelite failed predictions of the Watchtower Society.

There is no reason to believe that 1914 means the return of Jesus in any regard. At the same time here and there where His saints have been prevailing spiritual enemies of Christ have been occasionally subdued in years before and after.

Some enemies have been subdued where ever the pure gospel of Christ has gone and sinners have repented, turned from darkness to light.

The year 1914 has no special eschatological significance other than the "World War I" - [28 July 1914 and lasted until 11 November 1918] was a very wide scoped conflict which people had never seen before.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Apr '15 00:08
    Christians are people who have been regenerated by the Holy Spirit. and Through regeneration the Holy Spirit cames into believers is now dwelling in them (John 3:6; Rom. 8:9, 11).

But we are talking about the virgins with OIL [the Holy Spirit in their spirit] in their lamps and virgins with OIL [ the Holy Spirit in their PLUS extra OIL [the Holy Spirit filling their soul].

After our regeneration we must be filled with the Spirit in every part of our being. He must spread into our soul with our drawing Him up from our spirit into our personality.

In Acts 13:52 in says “the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit” . Joy goes together with the Spirit. If we are always unhappy, this indicates that we are lacking the Spirit filling up our soul. We are in need of gaining the extra oil. We need the oil in the vessel WITH our lamps.

Going to the Lord Jesus each the morning and spending time with Him is an excellent way to get freshly filled with the Holy Spirit as the extra oil. And beginning the day with Jesus will be fill the believer with joy.

Acts 6:3 and 5 say, “Look for seven well-attested men from among you, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we will appoint over this need...And the word pleased all the multitude; and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit.” This means that when a serious problem came upon the local church in Jerusalem, they did not just seek those born again. They sought for those who had already experienced some filling of the Holy Spirit in their souls. They looked for "virgins" with the oil in the vessel along with the lamp, so to speak.

Additionally Acts 11:24 says that Barnabas “was a good man and full of the Holy Spirit and of faith.” These verses show us that faith and wisdom also go together with the Holy Spirit filling the soul. If we are filled with the Holy Spirit, we will be full of joy, wisdom, and faith.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Apr '15 00:19
    Matthew 25:1-4 and 8-9 say, “At that time the kingdom of the heavens will be likened to ten virgins, who took their lamps and went forth to meet the bridegroom. And five of them were foolish and five were prudent. For the foolish, when they took their lamps, did not take oil with them; but the prudent took oil in their vessels with their lamps...And the foolish said to the prudent, Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out. But the prudent answered, saying, Perhaps there will not be enough for us and for you; go rather to those who sell, and buy for yourselves.”

This parable is a warning to the foolish ones, the ones who are not filled with the Spirit. In this parable each virgin had a lamp. In the ancient days they had only oil lamps rather than electric ones. An oil lamp would shine only if there was be oil in the lamp. However, in addition to the lamp there is a vessel that holds extra oil so that when the light begins to go out, extra oil is prepared.

Therefore there were two portions of oil. One amount was in the lamp, and the other amount SHOULD be carried in a vessel with the lamp. All of the virgins in this parable had their lamps lit. Since all ten virgins were the same in this regard they all must represent saved Christians.

The difference among them was in regard to the oil in their vessels. Five prepared oil in their vessels, and five did not. These five thought that as long as their lamps were lit, they were all right.

We must realize that each one of us has a lamp.
    The unbelieve who has not yet received Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior needs her or his lamp lit. The Holy Spirit must come into their inner being.

This lamp is our human spirit. And the human spirit needs to be born again. Proverbs 20:27 says, “The spirit of man is the lamp of Jehovah.” And to everyone born again the human spirit is born of the Holy Spirit (John 3:6)

"That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit."

That means in the event of being born again the Holy Spirit causes the birth into divine life of the human spirit. It is wonderful to have you inner spirit born of the Holy Spirit. It is truly a new beginning.

But for the Christian who has been regenerated, we have to have this Holy Spirit also move out from the center of our being into the surrounding soul. This is the vessel - the soul. And this gaining of the Holy Spirit is gaining the extra oil in the vessel with the lamp. It is wise to tend to this. It is foolish to neglect this in terms of preparing to actually MEET the Lord Jesus.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Apr '15 00:22
    Since born again man has been regenerated, the oil of the Holy Spirit is in his or her spirit.

If we have been saved and wish to be prudent for Christ's second coming, we still must pay the price to prepare ourselves with additional oil in our vessel, which is our soul. This means, in other words, that although we have the Spirit in our spirit, we must be filled with the Spirit in our soul.

To be filled with the Spirit is simply to grow and mature in the divine life. We have been regenerated, but have we grown and matured?
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Apr '15 00:31
    If we are going to grow and become mature, we must be filled with the Spirit in the soul. This mean more and more of our pesonality must come under the influence of the Holy Spirit.

In order to be filled with the Spirit, we must first be emptied. Suppose we have a cup. If we want to fill this cup with tea, we must first empty out everything else that is in the cup. Likewise, we must check whether or not our being has been emptied. The Holy Spirit is in our spirit, but He must occupy our soul—our mind, emotion, and will.

The New Testament phrases "the mind of the Spirit" (Rom. 8:27) and "the spirit of your mind" (Eph. 4:23) both are phrases speaking about the SOUL of the Christian being under the influence of the Holy Spirit. After regeneration the MIND of the man has become more spiritual through transformation.

The "mind of the Spirit is a mind" means the mind under the control and direction of the Spirit, and "the spirit of the mind" refers to a mind that is so full of the mingled spirit that the spirit has become the spirit of the mind.

In order to have the mind of the Spirit, we must first deny our natural mind. To deny the natural mind is simply to empty ourselves and make room for Jesus Christ to exercise more of His permeation in our personality.

We may be full of our own thoughts, the thoughts of the natural mind, so we must empty ourselves by denying the natural mind. Then the Holy Spirit will spread out from the regenerated spirit and take control of our mind and will occupy and fill our mind.

As a result, our mind will be full of the Spirit, our mind will be the mind of the Spirit, and our spirit will be the spirit of our mind. The same thing must happen with our emotion and will so that every part of our being can be occupied and filled by the Spirit.

The wise virgins are the Christians allowing the Holy Spirit to spread from within the nucleus of their being, their human spirit, more and more into the surrounding soul. This soul is the mind, emotion and will.

It is prudent to prepare to meet the Bridegroom Jesus Christ, demonstrating our love for Him by having more of our souls filled with the Holy Spirit. This is the extra oil in the vessel WITH the lighted lamp.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree