1. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    28 Mar '05 03:10
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Indeed. We can imagine the publican realizing that compared to those around him he is poor of spirit, taking pride in this humility, and thereby becoming more like the Pharisee. Spritual pride is perhaps the most insidious sort of pride, and the most difficult to combat. You recognize that you are spiritually proud, fight against, recognize that you are fig ...[text shortened]... . True poorness of spirit requires vigilant self-examination, not the smiting of one's breast.
    See the Screwtape letters for a superb discussion of false (or proud) humility,
    for insincere piety.

2. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    28 Mar '05 03:551 edit
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I see it as a daily doese of medicine as opposed to a cure.

What's the daily dose ? ... a dose of what ? What's the medicine ?
  3. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    28 Mar '05 03:57
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    See the Screwtape letters for a superb discussion of false (or proud) humility,
    for insincere piety.

Tell us all about it ! You must have remembered some of it.
  4. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    28 Mar '05 04:11
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Tell us all about it ! You must have remembered some of it.
    In brief, The Screwtape Letters is a collection of 'letters' from a teacher devil (Screwtape)
    to a student devil (Wormwood). In them, Screwtape provides instruction on the nature
    of temptation. However, the temptation doesn't take the usual forms: tempting to steal,
    lie, cheat, &c. It takes surreptitious forms, like false piety and prideful humility. Indeed,
    from the beginning of the book when the subject (the person being tempted) becomes a
    Christian, Screwtape does not fret over it, but teaches Wormwood how to use the Church
    to his advantage. The result is to try to impose a Pharisetic approach to Church life (an
    insincere one) rather than a Publican life (a sincere one).

I am surprised that you have not read it, Ivanhoe. I strongly recommend it and have
    absolutely no doubts that you would enjoy it thoroughly and even learn a thing or two
    (I know I did!).

Nemesio
  5. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    28 Mar '05 04:381 edit
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    In brief, The Screwtape Letters is a collection of 'letters' from a teacher devil (Screwtape)
    to a student devil (Wormwood). In them, Screwtape provides instruction on the nature
    of temptation. However, the temptation doesn't ...[text shortened]... roughly and even learn a thing or two
    (I know I did!).

Nemesio
    It sounds great ! It is about the temptations that are the most dangerous, because they are so easily overseen, so extremely difficult to detect looking in the mirror ........ I'll check it out.

Tell me, is it an "Anti-Roman Catholic Church Book" or does it transcend such vulgar cliché's ?
  6. Arizona, USA
    Moves
    28 Mar '05 05:08
    Tell me, is it an "Anti-Roman Catholic Church Book" or does it transcend such vulgar cliché's ?
    I have heard mention of C.S. Lewis many times, though I have not read any of his books. Don't know if this link will give you any insight:

http://www.ignatius.com/ViewProduct.aspx?SID=1&Product_ID=1995&AFID=12&
  7. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    28 Mar '05 05:46
    Not at all!

No, it affirms that, at its roots the Church has a Divine purpose, but in its
    earthly manifestation can be a source of distraction from God rather than
    an emphasis.

I don't recall any specifically anti-Roman Catholic sentiments, for my part.

It is a short read. My edition is only 115 pages. When I read it some years
    ago, I finished it in two, relatively brief sittings.

Nemesio
  8. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    28 Mar '05 06:53
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac
    I have heard mention of C.S. Lewis many times, though I have not read any of his books. Don't know if this link will give you any insight:

http://www.ignatius.com/ViewProduct.aspx?SID=1&Product_ID=1995&AFID=12&

Thanks for the link, I appreciate it.
  9. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    29 Mar '05 15:42
    Originally posted by Starrman
    I think it says that it is not giving thanks to god for how you believe yourself to be, but understanding first that you are a sinner and begging for forgiveness from him that is more important.

EDIT: Or what bbarr said in fewer words 🙂
    Starrmann: "I think it says that it is not giving thanks to god for how you believe yourself to be, but understanding first that you are a sinner and begging for forgiveness from him that is more important."

I consider this the most clear, the most straighforward and as a result of that the most important interpretation of the parable in question.

Knowing who you really are, a sinner, and an attitude of begging God's forgiveness, on your knees, is the fundament of how a good relationship between a human being and God ought to be.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree