1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Oct '06 13:45
    Monotheists deny there are multiple gods but know nothing about either subject except what has been drilled in their heads by zealots.
    What makes monotheists so sure there are no lesser gods? We see in humans extreme differances in abilites, sizes, intelligences, athletic ability, etc., So why can't there be one super god like the mono's like and also some lesser ones under this big dude's command? Like the lesser god could have the power to make a universe but only the big guy can make the WHOLE universe, something like that. Don't be so presumtous, mono's.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Oct '06 13:571 edit
    There is absolutely no reason to believe that if God exists then he is benevolent. An all powerfull being would be quite capable of lying. He could even create the Bible specifically to mislead people. Why are some people convinced that other religions are manufactured by the Devil to mislead while thier religion is the "one true" religion? What makes them so sure?
    Are they claiming to be smarter than all posible deceptive gods or devils so they cannot be decieved?
    Since people have such varying views it is definate that a large proportion of religions are mostly wrong, surely it is just wishfull thinking that you have found the only one that is correct?

Surely this goes beyond presumptuousness and enters the territory of conceit?
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Oct '06 16:39
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    There is absolutely no reason to believe that if God exists then he is benevolent. An all powerfull being would be quite capable of lying. He could even create the Bible specifically to mislead people. Why are some people convinced that other religions are manufactured by the Devil to mislead while thier religion is the "one true" religion? What makes the ...[text shortened]... t is correct?

What he said.
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    04 Oct '06 19:50
    There is absolutely no reason to believe that if God exists then he is benevolent. An all powerfull being would be quite capable of lying. He could even create the Bible specifically to mislead people. Why are some people convinced that other religions are manufactured by the Devil to mislead while thier religion is the "one true" religion? What makes the ...[text shortened]... t is correct?

A few problems with the math, unfortunately.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that if God exists then he is benevolent.
    There are absolutely billions of reasons to believe that God is benevolent, beginning with the first created being, up to and including all beings currently in existence.

An all powerfull being would be quite capable of lying.
    Lying assumes a standard of truth, itself based on reality. Since God Himself is reality, it would be self-negating to--- as it were--- lie.

He could even create the Bible specifically to mislead people.
    While God has been known from time to time to set traps for the trap setters, the traps He has always used have been the individuals' own arrogance--- never an origination of His own.
  5. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    04 Oct '06 20:341 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH

[b]There is absolutely no reason to believe that if God exists then he is benevolent.

There are absolutely billions of reasons to believe that God is benevolent, beginning with the first created being, up to and including all beings currently in existence.

An all powerfull being would be quite capa ...[text shortened]... He has always used have been the individuals' own arrogance--- never an origination of His own.
    All of this assumes that God exists - something you can never prove!
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    04 Oct '06 23:02
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    All of this assumes that God exists - something you can never prove!
    Your astuteness cannot be questioned. I'll bet it was this part that gave it away:

"There is absolutely no reason to believe that if God exists..."
  7. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    04 Oct '06 23:17
    Your astuteness cannot be questioned. I'll bet it was this part that gave it away:

[b]"There is absolutely no reason to believe that if God exists..."
    [/b]
    Taking credit for others words now Freaky? That's low - even for you....
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    04 Oct '06 23:28
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Taking credit for others words now Freaky? That's low - even for you....
    Eh? I quoted the line that started the conversation, to which I was responding. As it is one of (now) eight posts to the thread as well as contained within the same page, I didn't think it was necessary to 'credit' (!) the line to twitehead.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Oct '06 03:071 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Monotheists deny there are multiple gods but know nothing about either subject except what has been drilled in their heads by zealots.
    What makes monotheists so sure there are no lesser gods? We see in humans extreme differances in abilites, sizes, intelligences, athletic ability, etc., So why can't there be one super god like the mono's like and also some e big guy can make the WHOLE universe, something like that. Don't be so presumtous, mono's.
    You assume that monotheists deny the existence of other gods. What about these scriptures?

Genesis 3:4 And the serpent said unto the woman, "Ye shall not surely die. For God knows that in the day you eat thereof, then your eyes will be open and you shall be as gods, knowing good from evil."

John 10:34 Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods."
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Oct '06 03:10

[b]There is absolutely no reason to believe that if God exists then he is benevolent.

An all powerfull being would be quite capa ...[text shortened]... He has always used have been the individuals' own arrogance--- never an origination of His own.
    That is worse rationalization I ever saw. Its amazing how much you think you know about some god or other.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Oct '06 06:45
    So the existence of life in your opinion is evidence that God is benevolent? How so? I really dont see any logic in that.

Lying assumes a standard of truth, itself based on reality. Since God Himself is reality, it would be self-negating to--- as it were--- lie.
    Again I do not see the logic. Surely you have been decieved by reality before? Is the devil part of God or is he unreal?

While God has been known from time to time to set traps for the trap setters, the traps He has always used have been the individuals' own arrogance--- never an origination of His own.
    Maybe it is your arrogance in assuming you know every past action of Gods and the boundaries of his possible actions. The Bible is starting to look like one of those clever traps!
    Your statement boils down to a claim that you have concrete knowledge of some of Gods attributes but do not give any indication as to how you know this. My arguement was that the majority of humans on earth do not know since there is no large set of attributes that more than 50% of the earths population agree upon. It is therefore arrogance to assume you are in the correct 1% who have it all right.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Oct '06 13:26
    So the existence of life in your opinion is evidence that God is benevolent? How so? I really dont see any logic in that.

[b]Lying assumes a standard of truth, itself based on reality. Since God Himself is reality, it would be self-negating to--- as it were--- lie.

Again I do not see the logic. Surely you have been decieved by reality before? Is ...[text shortened]... gree upon. It is therefore arrogance to assume you are in the correct 1% who have it all right.[/b]
    I'll buy that with one differance: I would put that one percent number to exactly zero.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree