1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 12:571 edit
    I just read a book called, "The Queen of Katwe" by Tim Crothers and I highly recommend it. It is about a Christian outreach started in the slums of Uganda with chess as the bait. Children would come to play just for a meal, but it developed into something much more. The children of the slums of Katwe became prominant chess players in Africa, the best of which was a girl named Phiona Mutesi. Through their faith and mastering the game of chess, they rose above their miserable fate handed to them.
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 20:45
    It might be worth noting that sonhouse started a thread titled 'A great chess story of a Ugandan girl chess champ' in the Only Chess forum.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 21:011 edit
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    It might be worth noting that sonhouse started a thread titled 'A great chess story of a Ugandan girl chess champ' in the Only Chess forum.
    I put it here because of these people were motivated through their faith.

A missionary named Robert Katende initiated the chess in the slums. Originally he used soccer as out outreach to children. However, he soon realized that chess was a far greater tool to reach these children Through chess he taught the children lifes lessons and introduced them to Christianity. The book is a moving account of how these children blossomed spiritually and intellectually.

The girl is but a small piece of the story.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree