1. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 May '09 10:30
    Originally posted by rwingett
    And here I thought this thread was going to be about that Blondie song.

Actually, the Canadian brewery Unibroue has an excellent beer called "La Fin du Monde", which translates as "the end of the world." I want to know if the christians will make this the official beer of the rapture.
    I saw Deborah Harry and Blondie when the came to Glasgow, in the Barrowlands, an awesome venue with a bar the entire length of the concert hall, she was divine!
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    26 May '09 10:55
    Originally posted by menace71
    If I remember correctly the early Christians did not have or hold the view of a rapture happening. Some women (can't remember the name) supposedly had a vision in the 1800's that God was going to come and take believers away.This is where this idea of a rapture came from.

Manny
    The teaching was there in the New Testament. The sensativity to it was not always prevalent.

It might be similiarly said of justification by faith. The teaching was always there in the New Testament. But it was buried for a thousand years or so until Luther and the Reformation recovered it.

You are right that Rapture was not emphasized much until the Brethren teachers began to teach about it, I think in the 19th century.

They did not put it into the New Testament. It was already taught there. They recovered attention to it.
  3. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    26 May '09 13:46
    Originally posted by jaywill
    [b]=================
    Say what?
    ====================

Can you be a little more specific about your question ?[/b]
    Where's your chip gonna go? On your hand or in your foreskin?
  4. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    26 May '09 15:441 edit
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Where's your chip gonna go? On your hand or in your foreskin?
    I guess you're just a troll then.
  5. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    27 May '09 22:53
    Originally posted by jaywill
    The teaching was there in the New Testament. The sensativity to it was not always prevalent.

It might be similiarly said of justification by faith. The teaching was always there in the New Testament. But it was buried for a thousand years or so until Luther and the Reformation recovered it.

You are right that Rapture was not emphasized much until th ...[text shortened]... not put it into the New Testament. It was already taught there. They recovered attention to it.
    there is a school of thought that their will be no rapture.that its not biblical but passages are taken out of context to say there will be one. Any thoughts on that? Personally,I always believed in the rapture theory but now I am not so sure. It really does not matter one way or the other when you get down to it. But, I do find the topic thought provoking
  6. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    27 May '09 23:34
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Many christians are divided on this. Some say pre, mid, or post tribulation.Others say there will not be one because its not scriptural. I am interested in serious thought on this from christians w/ scripture to back up their claims for or against.
    Just curious...exactly where is the word rapture used in the Bible?
  7. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    27 May '09 23:56
    Originally posted by duecer
    well thats one of the points of contention,it is not
  8. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    28 May '09 05:41
    BTW, 'rapture' and 'raptor' have the same word root, meaning 'to seize'.

Now you are truly enlightened. 😀
  9. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    28 May '09 06:46
    Originally posted by Badwater
    BTW, 'rapture' and 'raptor' have the same word root, meaning 'to seize'.

Now you are truly enlightened. 😀
    thanks for that tid bit. btw,nice cat 🙂
  10. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 May '09 11:34
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    there is a school of thought that their will be no rapture.that its not biblical but passages are taken out of context to say there will be one. Any thoughts on that? Personally,I always believed in the rapture theory but now I am not so sure. It really does not matter one way or the other when you get down to it. But, I do find the topic thought provoking
    ===================================
    ======================================

I am familiar with that line of thought. Usually people have at least some ground to propose interpretations. The problem is often that they do not take into account enough. Or the problem is that they push a concept too far.

Also some teachers are reactionary. They may adopt a strong position to counter some other erroneous teaching. But in doing so they go to an extreme. Often the truth is somewhere in the middle between two extreme positions.

Since there is a lot to consider maybe you could be very specific about objections you heard. I may be of help to you if you could narrow down objections to the Rapture to be discussed specifically.
  11. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 May '09 11:361 edit
    Originally posted by duecer
    ======================================
    ===========================

I don't think it is found in the Bible.
  12. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    11 Jun '09 00:26
    Where did the word rapture come from? It's not in the Bible...
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Jun '09 01:05
    Rapture comes from the Latin verb 'rapere' (to take). 'Raptura' would mean the act of taking. This is pretty much the equivalent of the Greek verb 'lambanein' which is used in the NT to describe the end times. For exmple, Matthew 24.40, Jesus gives an image of the end-times, where one farmer is left behind while the other is taken away (paralambanetai). So there is nothing wrong with the word 'rapture'; it is just a Latin alternative. Interestingly, the Vulgate prefers 'assumitur' (from where we get the word 'assumption', as in 'the Assumption of Mary' -- perhaps 'the Rapture of Mary' would have been in poor taste).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree