The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Sep '13 04:351 edit
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    The Revolution against Evolution
    For RJ Hinds...

http://www.truthortradition.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1080
    The truth does not matter to the atheist evilutionists. They can not allow the creationists to get a foot in the door. Or as Professor Richard Lewontin said,

"It is not that the methods and institutions of science somehow compel us to accept a material explanation of the phenomenal world, but, on the contrary, that we are forced by our a priori adherence to material causes to create an apparatus of investigation and a set of concepts that produce material explanations, no matter how counter-intuitive, no matter how mystifying to the uninitiated. Moreover, that materialism is an absolute, for we cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door."

The Instructor
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Sep '13 08:04
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The truth does not matter to the atheist evilutionists. They can not allow the creationists to get a foot in the door. Or as Professor Richard Lewontin said,

[b]"It is not that the methods and institutions of science somehow compel us to accept a material explanation of the phenomenal world, but, on the contrary, that we are forced by our a priori adhe ...[text shortened]... rialism is an absolute, for we cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door."

The Instructor[/b]
    And rightfully so. Since the creation story is just that, a made up story, in fact one of hundreds of similar and not similar ways to think about the beginning of our world and the stars.

If creationists took over education, there would be no science left to study. No new knowledge except that which would pass the religious censors.

Of course that would put the US even further behind the rest of the world in educational quality, now something like # 30 in the world. Creationists care less about that as long as their pitiful stories are proven by law, not science.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    09 Sep '13 13:02
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    And rightfully so. Since the creation story is just that, a made up story, in fact one of hundreds of similar and not similar ways to think about the beginning of our world and the stars.

If creationists took over education, there would be no science left to study. No new knowledge except that which would pass the religious censors.

Of course that w ...[text shortened]... eationists care less about that as long as their pitiful stories are proven by law, not science.
    So, I take it you believe the failing education system in America is due to too much religion?

Then what was it that made it better in America when most people could read? From what I've been told most people could read at the time of the American revolution.

It seems to me that the decline in education coresponds with the increase in atheism.

But the atheist needs to fill the void, so it believes in evolution, which in turn produces the mindset that this is a dog-eat-dog world. Evolution breeds into society the idea that we are merely animals in a food chain. So, therefore, society then crumbles to the ground, eventually, and what is left behind are the strong who continue the cycle.

And so on and so forth.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    09 Sep '13 13:43
    Perhaps it isn't that American education has gotten worse but that education in other countries where atheism has risen has gotten better. And it's made worse by the fact that religion still plays a very big role in American day-to-day life when compared to many other Western countries.

Just a thought.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Sep '13 14:12
    Originally posted by josephw
    Then what was it that made it better in America when most people could read? From what I've been told most people could read at the time of the American revolution.
    I think it is your own poor education that leads you to think things have gotten worse. Can you post statistics for literacy at the time of the revolution and literacy now? Lets see if "what you've been told" has any relation to reality.
  7. Joined
    06 Feb '13
    Moves
    09 Sep '13 15:241 edit
    So, I take it you believe the failing education system in America is due to too much religion?

It seems to me that the decline in education coresponds with the increase in atheism.

Bu ...[text shortened]... ally, and what is left behind are the strong who continue the cycle.

And so on and so forth.
    Your theory is correct in the sense that Jewish people are the richest but actually, countries with less believers are richer.

From Wikipedia, a study between wealth and religion, the first part.

Importance of religion and GDP per capita in the world. Religion is negatively correlated with wealth.
    There has been some research on the correlation of wealth and religion. Wealth is the status of being the beneficiary or proprietor of a large accumulation of capital and economic power. Religion is a cultural system that often involves belief in supernatural forces and may intend to provide a moral system or a meaning of life.
    A study in the United States, published in the Social Forces journal and conducted by Sociology researcher Lisa A. Keister, found that adherents of Judaism and Episcopalian attained the most wealth, believers of Catholicism and mainline Protestants were in the middle, while conservative Protestants accumulated the least wealth, while in general people who attend religious services achieved more wealth than those who do not (taking into account variations of education and other factors).[1] The researcher suggests that wealth accumulation is shaped by family processes.[2]
    The median net worth of people believing in the Jewish religion is calculated at 150,890 USD, while the median net worth of conservative Protestants (including Baptists, Jehovah's Witnesses, Seventh-day Adventists, Christian Scientists) was found at 26,200 USD.[1] The overall median in the dataset was 48,200 USD.
    Another study, published in the American Journal of Sociology (AJS) by Lisa Keister, found that "religion affects wealth indirectly through educational attainment, fertility, and female labor force participation" but also found some evidence of direct effects of religion on wealth attainment.[3]
    Contents [hide]
    1 Wealth and atheism
    2 Religious beliefs of the wealthy
    3 See also
    4 References
    5 External links
    Wealth and atheism[edit source | editbeta]

Atheism and agnosticism are labels used to describe people who have an active disbelief that god(s) exists, do not know whether a god(s) exists, or believe it is impossible to prove whether God(s) exists. The term "non-religious" is used for those who have no religious affiliation.
    Some studies have found correlations between wealth and lack of religious beliefs. The GDP of countries generally correlates negatively with their religiosity, i.e. the less religious a population is the wealthier it is.[4][5]
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Sep '13 22:421 edit

Bu ...[text shortened]... ally, and what is left behind are the strong who continue the cycle.

And so on and so forth.
    At the time of the American revolution, the literacy rate was about 60%, 40 percent illiteracy rate. I think it is a BIT better now. But literacy rates are not the problem. The problem is the extensive bible belt states and the people fighting to force creationism to be taught as if (AS IF!) it were a science. That is not the only issue but one big one in my mind because I think if they win that battle in the bible states they will go on to try to be the science censors of America. Hell, that is what they are now. At least in their own addled brains.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Sep '13 01:12
    At the time of the American revolution, the literacy rate was about 60%, 40 percent illiteracy rate. I think it is a BIT better now. But literacy rates are not the problem. The problem is the extensive bible belt states and the people fighting to force creationism to be taught as if (AS IF!) it were a science. That is not the only issue but one big one in m ...[text shortened]... cience censors of America. Hell, that is what they are now. At least in their own addled brains.
    From May 30th, 2013

A recent meta-analysis of 90 studies on religious private schools, traditional public schools, and charter schools shows that students perform best academically and behaviorally when they attend religious private schools.

http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2013/05/10218/

The Instructor
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Sep '13 01:45
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Perhaps it isn't that American education has gotten worse but that education in other countries where atheism has risen has gotten better. And it's made worse by the fact that religion still plays a very big role in American day-to-day life when compared to many other Western countries.

Just a thought.
    Religion has it's place and it's not in schools
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Sep '13 02:07
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Religion has it's place and it's not in schools
    It is easy for a scientist, who believes in a creator God to accept intelligent design in nature, because that is what he would expect. The atheist scientist has to keep reminding himself that it only has the appearance of design.

Appearance of Design

“Biology is the study of complicated things that give the appearance of having been designed for a purpose.” {Richard Dawkins, The Blind Watchmaker, 1996, p. 1}

http://www.creationism.org/heinze/AppearanceOfDesign.htm

The Instructor
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    10 Sep '13 07:58

And so on and so forth.
    it is one of the factors, yes

when you have new metal detectors and old books is another.
    when only the rich can afford going to college

but the worse one is when you try and teach non-facts as facts to all children
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Sep '13 07:58
    From May 30th, 2013

A recent meta-analysis of 90 studies on religious private schools, traditional public schools, and charter schools shows that students perform best academically and behaviorally when they attend religious private schools.

http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2013/05/10218/

The Instructor
    Ah, you mean by this guy Ryan Anderson who just appeared on the 700 club:

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2013/May/Crossroads-The-Consequences-of-Redefining-Marriage/?utm_source=RTA+recent+links&utm_campaign=winstorg&utm_medium=email

This totally unbiased individual? He is doing meta studies? Gee, what a coincidence he finds religious schools better.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Sep '13 08:161 edit
    Ah, you mean by this guy Ryan Anderson who just appeared on the 700 club:

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2013/May/Crossroads-The-Consequences-of-Redefining-Marriage/?utm_source=RTA+recent+links&utm_campaign=winstorg&utm_medium=email

This totally unbiased individual? He is doing meta studies? Gee, what a coincidence he finds religious schools better.
    He makes a lot of sense to me. We don't want polygamy do we?

But the student education study was by William Jeynes, Professor of Education at California State University, Long Beach.

The Instructor
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    10 Sep '13 11:25
    He makes a lot of sense to me.
    You're not doing the guy a favour by saying that, you know.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree