1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    04 Feb '09 07:43
    How d'y'all cope with despair?

(Should anyone with to initiate a parallel discussion on Kierkegaard's text (available: http://www.religion-online.org/showbook.asp?title=2067 ) go ahead).
  2. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    04 Feb '09 08:09
    I visualise Life in my hand as a sword. The Art of Living, as I see it, is to try not to "win". I feel not the need to test my power. I feel not the need to move one step beyond or to move backwards. The Art of Living as I see it, it has to do with my awareness that Myself and the Object are not separated.
    So I live my life in order to serve the people I love. When I have to go ahead I go ahead and when I have to fight I fight. When I go ahead I do not think that I go ahead and when I fight I do not think that I fight. I do not see "this" and "that" but I am aware of the nature of "this" and of "that".

Despair
    is nothing
    😵
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    04 Feb '09 08:42
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage

(Should anyone with to initiate a parallel discussion on Kierkegaard's text (available: http://www.religion-online.org/showbook.asp?title=2067 ) go ahead).
    one of the books i intend to read. as soon as i get out of world of warcraft rehab.
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    04 Feb '09 08:43
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    one of the books i intend to read. as soon as i get out of world of warcraft rehab.
    Superb 😵
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    04 Feb '09 08:551 edit
    Originally posted by black beetle
    I visualise Life in my hand as a sword. The Art of Living, as I see it, is to try not to "win". I feel not the need to test my power. I feel not the need to move one step beyond or to move backwards. The Art of Living as I see it, it has to do with my awareness that Myself and the Object are not separated.
    So I live my life in order to serve the people that" but I am aware of the nature of "this" and of "that".

Despair
    is nothing
    😵
    Fantastic, do you write books by any chance?

Edit: 'Nothing holy'; 'everything is holy' -- what's the difference?
  6. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    04 Feb '09 10:32
    Fantastic, do you write books by any chance?

Edit: 'Nothing holy'; 'everything is holy' -- what's the difference?
    Holiness is merely a human invention. I refuse to affirm religious notions like holiness. I refuse to spend time trying to show to somebody that through these notions he oversteps the evaluation of the mind and that he buries her/ his ignorance under countless layers of delusional thoughts.

Whenever you think, you lift your own abstract idea out of the vast emptiness. Then you try to express your idea with words, and these words are creating the figure of your thoughts. You use your words according to the abilities of your mind, and these words are becoming notional figures -they have nothing special because they are just your own footprints, and they are as valuable as your footprints on the sand by the seaside. What is the meaning of these “footprints”? How can they be “holy”?

I hear the people claiming that the so called scriptures are “holy”, but I only see each time a string of words. Every talking is just a way of talking; “holiness” is just a way of talking; “god” is just a way of talking; “vast emptiness” is just a way of talking”.
    However the Human can still use the words as gestures to point to the reality that precedes these words themselves. “No holiness; vast emptiness”, ie “Nothing Holy”, intends to point beyond its own conceptual content.

Nothing Holy😵

PS: I 'm text narrator and feuilletonist since 2000, however I write not books😵
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Feb '09 20:451 edit

Chemically, and with the belief that death is inevitable and almost certainly doesn't hurt once the dying is done.
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    04 Feb '09 20:53
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Chemically, and with the belief that death is inevitable and almost certainly doesn't hurt once the dying is done.
    Ah, a determinist.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Feb '09 20:53
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    I've been waiting for WoW to blow over and the next good game to come out, but this is taking a really long time! I played EQ from a server's birth to the twilight years of the game, and once the game matures it's less fun to jump in as a rookie...and the older it gets the more true this becomes.

Next MMORPG please!

This looks promising, but I think it's vaporware...

http://www.darkfallonline.com/

RIP Sullon Zek :'(
  10. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    04 Feb '09 21:13

Well, despair is a good environment in which mental self-torture can incubate, in a strong sense: I find it's not a good environment for any of the other activities that take agency and motivation and such. MS-T takes a little effort (or a lot), though, so I consider it's spontaneous generation a bit of a step up from legit despair, part of whose definition I take to be the inability to conceive of there being any steps up. Of course, MS-T that grows in non-despair circumstances is itself a good way to end up in a Despair Situation; it's very similar as a despair-exit to drug abuse in this respect.

I'm learning slowly to recognise when despair is not actually related to any of the things in my life I currently find important, which, if I limit myself to true despair that I've been immersed in, is always -- my only despair-experiences are with endogenous despair. Trying to acknowledge the sheer luck that that represents is itself kind of a despair-exit I try to keep in mind.

The flip side of endogenous despair is endogenous euphoria. Simply because it involves euphoria, this is perhaps far trickier. It's perhaps "The Sickness Unto Immortality".

I dealt with some of this very clumsily in my entry in the Verse Competition: "The Blanket Out of Time and Space".
  11. Illinois
    Moves
    05 Feb '09 01:37

Faith overcomes despair.

As I understand it, though, overcoming despair isn't the purpose but rather a byproduct of faith. Neither does faith merely "cope" with despair, faith overcomes despair. Everything else is a coping mechanism.
  12. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    05 Feb '09 02:00
    I don’t “cope” with despair—I recognize its silliness in the grand scheme of things, and just let it go. The same with depression (not of chemical variety): I am susceptible to brief bouts on rare (and rarer) occasion, just because of vestiges of my own “pavlovian” conditioning—but I just let it go in short order.

Grief/sadness I let take its course—as long as it doesn’t turn into despair or depression (which can happen especially if one clings to it).

We have far more choice over such emotions than we generally believe, or were taught to believe.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Feb '09 03:51
    Originally posted by vistesd
    We have far more choice over such emotions than we generally believe, or were taught to believe.[/b]
    Agreed!!
  14. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    05 Feb '09 09:56
    I don’t “cope” with despair—I recognize its silliness in the grand scheme of things, and just let it go. The same with depression (not of chemical variety): I am susceptible to brief bouts on rare (and rarer) occasion, just because of vestiges of my own “pavlovian” conditioning—but I just let it go in short order.

Grief/sadness I let take its course—as ...[text shortened]... We have far more choice over such emotions than we generally believe, or were taught to believe.
    Is it your knowledge that amor fati is a tendency, or the result of one's polarity?

I was expecting more fine words pointing beyond their own conceptual content regarding despair; however they are enough😵
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    06 Feb '09 06:29
    I don’t “cope” with despair—I recognize its silliness in the grand scheme of things, and just let it go.
    What's so silly about despair? Where can I get a blueprint of the 'grand scheme of things' ...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree