The Soul.

The Soul.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
16 Aug 11

Originally posted by twhitehead
I am afraid I don't have the time for such experiments, especially since you haven't convinced me that the results would be enlightening in any way.

[b]I was sad that you did not care was because I was unable to bring you to even consider alternative possibilities.

I have considered alternative possibilities, but I still don't see why I should ca ...[text shortened]... I must note, that although self delusion can achieve your aim, I personally prefer reality.[/b]
What is the Reality you prefer ?

Cape Town

Moves
16 Aug 11

Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
What is the Reality you prefer ?
Reality. I wasn't aware there was more than one. I do not consider imagined worlds reality nor self delusion.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
16 Aug 11
1 edit

The original-language terms (Heb., nephesh Gr., psykhe as used in the Scriptures show “soul” to be a person, an animal, or the life that a person or an animal enjoys.
The connotations that the English “soul” commonly carries in the minds of most persons are not in agreement with the meaning of the Hebrew and Greek words as used by the inspired Bible writers. This fact has steadily gained wider acknowledgment. Back in 1897, in the Journal of Biblical Literature (Vol. XVI, p. 30), Professor C. A. Briggs, as a result of detailed analysis of the use of nephesh, observed: “Soul in English usage at the present time conveys usually a very different meaning from nephesh] in Hebrew, and it is easy for the incautious reader to misinterpret.”
More recently, when The Jewish Publication Society of America issued a new translation of the Torah, or first five books of the Bible, the editor-in-chief, H. M. Orlinsky of Hebrew Union College, stated that the word “soul” had been virtually eliminated from this translation because, “the Hebrew word in question here is ‘Nefesh.’” He added: “Other translators have interpreted it to mean ‘soul,’ which is completely inaccurate. The Bible does not say we have a soul. ‘Nefesh’ is the person himself, his need for food, the very blood in his veins, his being.”—The New York Times, October 12, 1962.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
16 Aug 11

Reality. I wasn't aware there was more than one. I do not consider imagined worlds reality nor self delusion.
Why,I thought Scientists have enunciated "Multiverse" now.

Cape Town

Moves
16 Aug 11

Why,I thought Scientists have enunciated "Multiverse" now.
Whatever they may or may not have enunciated, I still prefer reality to self delusion. I am starting to suspect you consider yourself deluded, and like it that way.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
17 Aug 11

Hindu spiritualism admits that there is no denotation to 'God' or ' Soul'. Our writings say that God/Soul cannot be correctly described. It is said human speech & thought retreat from this concept, defeated. ' Not this,Not this' are the words in the Vedas when trying to describe. However,the Geeta has still tried describing Soul,in the interest of the Sadhak. God/Soul are to be experienced rather than described.
nevertheless, they must have some conception of what the soul is, otherwise they would not be able to eliminate possibilities or come up with concrete descriptions.

so a soul is conceivable, but difficult or impossible to define and must be experienced.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
17 Aug 11

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
nevertheless, they must have some conception of what the soul is, otherwise they would not be able to eliminate possibilities or come up with concrete descriptions.

so a soul is conceivable, but difficult or impossible to define and must be experienced.
Yes,that is the position regarding the terms Soul/ God.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
17 Aug 11

Whatever they may or may not have enunciated, I still prefer reality to self delusion. I am starting to suspect you consider yourself deluded, and like it that way.
I am somewhat busy now. I will come back in a day or two.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
19 Aug 11

Instead of arguing with me as a person or pointing out some semantic lacunae,let us come to grips with the point. The point was whether there is an "I" as distinct from one's gross body.
I request you try an experiment yourself. In early morning,at a suitable time,when you are unlikely to be disturbed disconnect your landline phone/switch off the cellph ...[text shortened]... hem,so that doubts do not persist and mind becomes blissful.Has Science achieved that ?
Edit: "What I have stated above is Vipasshana Sadhana as practiced by Buddhist initiates. Try it and let me know."

Buddhism lacks of an Ultimate Teaching; everything is related to upaya and to the evaluation of the mind. So, if you will ask a Vipasshana guru, I think he will clarify that the Conqueror was always looking for ways to offer instruction to fit any level because he was always answering properly the asking person and at the same time he wanted to relieve it from the Attachment. So Buddha taught the existence of atman to those who were not ready to understand anatman, aiming to turn them away from the Floating World - type vice and simultaneously to ease them to realize Karma. To other persons who were at the next level, he offered the teaching of anatman so that they would be free from the attachment to self. And to the ones of the last level, he offered teachings as regards the complete freedom from all views😵

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
20 Aug 11

Originally posted by black beetle
Edit: "What I have stated above is Vipasshana Sadhana as practiced by Buddhist initiates. Try it and let me know."

Buddhism lacks of an Ultimate Teaching; everything is related to upaya and to the evaluation of the mind. So, if you will ask a Vipasshana guru, I think he will clarify that the Conqueror was always looking for ways to offer instruction ...[text shortened]... ones of the last level, he offered teachings as regards the complete freedom from all views😵
Yes,excellent post.Quite clear.A new knowledge to me about Buddhist Sadhana.Remember I had informed you earlier that my wife had undergone 10 day's basic course in Vipasshana at Igatpuri,Maharashtra,India way back in 1990,in the course of her spiritual journey.This was at the hands of a no.of teachers there.The end of the course was followed by Shri Goenka's address.
But my knowledge of Vipasshana is what I have read about it and heard from my wife.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
20 Aug 11

Yes,excellent post.Quite clear.A new knowledge to me about Buddhist Sadhana.Remember I had informed you earlier that my wife had undergone 10 day's basic course in Vipasshana at Igatpuri,Maharashtra,India way back in 1990,in the course of her spiritual journey.This was at the hands of a no.of teachers there.The end of the course was followed by Shri Goenk ...[text shortened]... address.
But my knowledge of Vipasshana is what I have read about it and heard from my wife.
Goenkaji! He knows that from times to times one feels forced to create a monster in order to subdue a monster; and he knows, when one does such a thing one becomes a monster himself; and he shows how the essense one is working inside him, can spring naturally from within. To Goenkaji, this essense is purity; purity comes when one gets to know one's self.
Methinks Goenkaji is sharp and full of compassion😵