1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    24 Aug '05 03:11
    The Jews and the Protestants have the 2nd commandment being dont bow to idols of any kind.

And so my point is why is that the catholics took it out and made number 9 as 9 and 10?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    24 Aug '05 03:19
    Can you elaborate?
  3. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    24 Aug '05 03:20
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Can you elaborate?
    Go look at a Catholic and then a Protestant and Jewish Bible the Commandments will be different then the Catolics.
  4. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    24 Aug '05 03:291 edit
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Go look at a Catholic and then a Protestant and Jewish Bible the Commandments will be different then the Catolics.
    I once went to a cathalic church, and thay had like a statute of Mary, then everyone bowed down to it. I could never understand that. then the minister said somthing in anther language, and everyone in the whole church stood up on their feet fast, by the time I stood up, everyone was sitting down, and I was the only one standing lol. I dont know much about them, but it seems like they put religion in front of the Lord

Edit: BTW RBHill, Nice to see you, LTNS
  5. Joined
    08 Mar '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '05 03:41
    hmmmm, I am Catholic, (and yes we do pray to/ask for help from Mary, but do not actually WORSHIP her) when they "bowed" to her, was it during the Profession of Faith?? Because if so, we merely bow to amazement/thanks to God for creating her free from sin.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    24 Aug '05 03:41
    That's true. Now can you elaborate on your point, which was something other than the explanation that various religions view the Commandments differently?
  7. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    24 Aug '05 05:01
    Originally posted by Kn1ghtly
    hmmmm, I am Catholic, (and yes we do pray to/ask for help from Mary, but do not actually WORSHIP her) when they "bowed" to her, was it during the Profession of Faith?? Because if so, we merely bow to amazement/thanks to God for creating her free from sin.
    ahh, my bad, that could be, I do not know what they bowed to Mary for, I just know that as a newcomer I was totaly lost, I didnt understand their chants and stuff,
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    24 Aug '05 08:29
    I was just wondering: does "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife" mean you can covet his sister?
  9. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    24 Aug '05 08:471 edit
    catholics are confusing. the only catholics i know are irish (and therefore are, you know, hardcore catholics 😉), but apparently at one of their church's they pray solely to their ancestors(!). also, my uni's CU is almost completly protestant. the CU exists to "Make Christ's light
    shine in the student world". what's so wrong with that? However, Catholic "Chistians" (it's more those people who go to chapel each week that critise us, not those who actually love God. if that makes sense...) seem to find that a bad thing. i was gonna start a big rant about why they fault us and how silly it is, but have deleted it as it's not really overly productive.

basically, they're confusing. IMO, many are just doing it for show. Only about half the regular attenders at our University chapel call themselves Christains...but then, since when did calling yourself a Christain make you one?
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    24 Aug '05 10:30
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I was just wondering: does "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife" mean you can covet his sister?
    Don't forget the neighbour.
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    24 Aug '05 10:50
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Don't forget the neighbour.
    That would be contrary to good hospitality (cf. Sodom & Gomorrah).
  12. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    24 Aug '05 11:38
    The Jews and the Protestants have the 2nd commandment being dont bow to idols of any kind.

And so my point is why is that the catholics took it out and made number 9 as 9 and 10?
    RB, taking a little different turn with this, do you feel that protestants are guilty of idol worship in the same or similar way as Catholics?
  13. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    24 Aug '05 13:16
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    RB, taking a little different turn with this, do you feel that protestants are guilty of idol worship in the same or similar way as Catholics?
    Let me tell you where I'm coming from, RB. I think the silence of the protestant church with respect to Pat Robertson is another form of idol worship. Where the hell is an Old Testament prophet when you need?
  14. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    24 Aug '05 21:33
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Before they became a Christian, yes they were guilty of Idol worship.
  15. Joined
    27 Mar '05
    Moves
    25 Aug '05 00:49
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Can you elaborate?
    What RB Hill is basically saying is:

The 10 Commandments, as originally "numbered" are:

1. No other gods
    2. No graven images
    3. No taking the name of the Lord in vain
    4. Remember the Sabbath
    5. Honor your mother and father
    6. Shall not murder
    7. Shall not commit adultery
    8. Shall not Steal
    9. Bear false witness
    10. Covet (neighbor's house, wife, etc).

The controversy involving the 10 Commandments and the Catholic Church is that the Catholic Church basically took out the second commandment, moved all of the others up one, and then split what was originally the '10th' commandment into a 9th Commandment about not coveting your neighbors wife, and a 10th commandment about not coveting your neighbor's house and other possessions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree